Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hang on to them surplus rifles guys

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Bolt actions may not be the last to go. Think of all the single shots out there. I do have a single shot bolt action military rifle though, a 71 Mauser.
    You have to remember that this is about control, not gun control. The military uses bolt guns for sniper rifles. By extension all bolt guns will become sniper rifles and what do you need a sniper rifle for?????????????????? Can't shoot ducks with it, only good for killing people.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

$200 for a 91/30!? It was less than a year ago that I got a mint one for free for buying a full case of surplus ammo!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    This whole thing is nuts! It is panic based on fear, and the economics factors of supply and demand, Caviat Emptor(sp), and in many cases greed.
    1Shirt!
    Oh, I agree, it's idiocy -- but it's idiocy that's got me seriously contemplating spending over $100 for 500 rounds (shipped) of Eley .22 LR, because it's the cheapest kind I can find in stock anywhere, and I'll need 500 rounds all the same for Appleseed soon...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    It is panic based on fear, and the economics factors of supply and demand, Caviat Emptor(sp), and in many cases greed.
    1Shirt!
    I get tired of hearing "It's greed". There are many factors figured into prices for items. Saying it's greed is nothing more than class warfare. I'm sure if you were the seller, you'd sell it for fair market value.
    A state and federal government that passes laws which make you submit to a background check for ammunition purchases does a lot to drive up the demand and price. The background check is nothing more than a form of registration. The government now knows what caliber weapon your feeding, where you work, live and how much you've purchased. Buy too much, and they'll visit you.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Mold
    Greed happens when people show up at retail shops (who haven't raised their prices yet) prior to their opening and strip the shelves bare with the INTENT to take the same product, charge 3-4 times the price they paid and make some quick bucks. This leaves nothing for anybody else to purchase (by intent) and limits options.

Thankfully, many of these retailers (including mine) are going to limits on ammo and accessory purchases in order to help slow this madness.

If there would simply be some product in stock when these panic buyers head to the store this would slow down and eventually die out, just like all the others.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    What about the Jap 7.7 Arisaka rifles and short rifles? My old buddy wants to sell his pair to get something else. One still has the crest/mum, bayonet, sling and story of the Marine who brought it home.
    No one answered your question.....first of all, there's technically there's no such thing as a "short" Jap rifle. The first type 99's were long, in the same vein as a type 38 but they were quickly reduced in length to what we're accustomed to seeing now.

Your buddy should contact someone interested in Japanese weaponry......like ME! Or he could take it to a gun shop, get told that it's worthless and get stiffed on an offer.

Boolit Master

For whatever reason, around here there has been a good supply of Type-99(and other Japanese) rifles for years. The prices are the same today as they have been for the last couple of years.

IMO, old bolt action military rifles will go down in real dollar price over time. The younger crowd don't care for them much and there are millions & millions of them sitting around in the US.

Boolit Buddy

I look at it this way, if you shoot it keep it, if you don't consider it an investment. As with all investments the trick is to sell at the top. I am parting with a few that I picked up cheap and are now worth 3 and 4 times what I paid. Should I wait? Maybe, but maybe we'll see another "executive order" that screws up sales.

Remember the paraphrased words of our nobel second in command, Slow Joe, "Get a shotgun for defense." I predict we may soon be limited to single or double barreled rifles and shotgun and iron sights.

Black powder firearms are not as yet restricted in many states so there is a possibility. Several styles of "antique" bolt action repeaters are available in black powder cartridge that are nearly as sweet as the day they left the factory. Replica revolvers like the steel frame Pietta 1858 Remington Army can take a second cylinder for .45 Colt and shoot Cowboy Loads nicely. Neither gun nor cylinder subject to restriction in many areas.

I guess we all shall see. May we all be prepared for the worst.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Bargains are still out there. My son-in-law just had one fall into his lap. From same guy, he got a Norinco Mac 90 (shades of complying with the 1993 gun ban thingy) for 400 bucks and a beautiful Finn 1944 Sako barreled M-39 for $120.00 with all matching numbers.

He really likes the Mac 90 thumb hole stock, but what impressed me was the workmanship in machining which the Chinese put into making this particular rifle. Don't know if all Mac 90 rifles are made like it, but this one puts current crop of AKs offered to shame.
    I have a Mak-90 and you are not mistaken--they are vastly superior the wasr's and such. Everything is crisp and tight, and accurate beyond every expectation of an AK variant. Popping clay pigeons at 200M is easy, milk jugs at 300M is guaranteed if the operator has any skill at all. It LOVES cast boolits, too. If he got one for $400, he almost stole it. Most run in the $6-800 range and in my opinion, are worth every penny. Now... a Finn M39 for $120??? Where is this guy--sounds like I need to get in touch with him, just in case he has anything else he's afraid might be declared illegal by the regime!
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Buddy

don't worry, be happy

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I get tired of hearing "It's greed". There are many factors figured into prices for items. Saying it's greed is nothing more than class warfare. I'm sure if you were the seller, you'd sell it for fair market value.
    A state and federal government that passes laws which make you submit to a background check for ammunition purchases does a lot to drive up the demand and price. The background check is nothing more than a form of registration. The government now knows what caliber weapon your feeding, where you work, live and how much you've purchased. Buy too much, and they'll visit you.
    If you buy ammo with credit card, gov't can know if they wish. If you belong to gun club, gov't can know if they wish, in fact if you are reading this, gov't can know if they wish. Been that way for years. Not sure what the hubbub is all about. watch your 6!

I just picked up a 440rnd. tin of 7.62X54r for $99 to along with my new 91/30. Waited 4 months for one to come in stock and picked one up in a trade...now the ammo is sold out online and I went back to grab another 440 tin and they were gone too. Those tins have been sitting at the store for 2 years, now all 10 are gone!!

Boolit Master

Yep. Everything is going, there's going to be no ammo to buy in any caliber in another couple weeks, at this rate.

In one way, I'm glad I have some on hand -- 500+ rounds of 7.62x54r, around 200 each of .357 Magnum and .22 LR, and 70 or thereabouts of .380. Not enough for much shooting, but enough to at least not feel naked when I hear something bump in the night.

Boolit Bub

The Crossroads of the West gun show we had in mid-december a guy was selling for 350 to 400 for what I would say was poor to fair Jap 7.7 Arisakas. When the show returns in march I think I'm going to be in shock when I see the new prices on these old military rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    If you buy ammo with credit card, gov't can know if they wish. If you belong to gun club, gov't can know if they wish, in fact if you are reading this, gov't can know if they wish. Been that way for years. Not sure what the hubbub is all about. watch your 6!
    While you aren't wrong, it isn't as easy as you think. Subpoena for club membership records requires some reason (assuming the club would move to quash the subpoena, without a rationale the court would quash in a second). Credit card records have to be subpoenaed by name, the government doesn't get to just browse through them. And the banks and credit card companies would oppose the subpoena without a criminal case as the reason. Yes, websites are the easy pickings, but they have to be read - and that takes personnel time. And then a subpoena would have to be issued to find out who the user name actually is - again a subpoena by name unless the government can make the case that a website is a terrorist site.

Nope - retained records of checks for ammo purchase are easy pickins compared to all that. The governmental entity already has the computer record, simple search routine and they have what they want.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd23 View Post
    I just picked up a 440rnd. tin of 7.62X54r for $99 to along with my new 91/30. Waited 4 months for one to come in stock and picked one up in a trade...now the ammo is sold out online and I went back to grab another 440 tin and they were gone too. Those tins have been sitting at the store for 2 years, now all 10 are gone!!
    A couple of weeks ago my favorite on-line ammo outfit started the morning out with about 200 cases (2 tins) of 7.62x54R, I was surprised they actually had 8 cases left the next morning, but not for long. They had a limit of 2 cases IIRC. They had been selling hundreds of cases of the 7.62x54R. Started out with both Russian and Bulgarian ammo in wood crates, last I knew they only had Bulgarian, 2 tins in cardboard. Each batch they got in was higher in price (of course, they paid more, buyer paid more). Haven't been to the site in a while, but I'd be surprised if they have any ammo at all. The commercial high dollar stuff was going quickly, just not as fast as the Milsurp.

Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I know the buying for black rifles is crazy around me. Most wood n steel rifles seem to be pretty much at pre panic prices from what I've seen. I've had a couple m44's and they are neat guns but I wouldn't pay anywhere near five hundred for one.
    Went to a gun show this weekend and was not shocked to see there were very few black rifles on the tables, formerly that was 80% of the total displays.

I was shocked to see the prices. They were asking 2000 to 3500 for what looked like perfectly ordinary AR-15's Up to 6000 for AR-10s.

Sure wish I had a few of them to sell.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Went to a gun show this weekend and was not shocked to see there were very few black rifles on the tables, formerly that was 80% of the total displays.

I was shocked to see the prices. They were asking 2000 to 3500 for what looked like perfectly ordinary AR-15's Up to 6000 for AR-10s.

Sure wish I had a few of them to sell.
    It makes me sick to think about how many ar's I have had and sold

LGS had Federal AutoMatch bulk 325 rds for the small sum of $47.50 yesterday. They only had 4 boxes left!!

I had to point it out to my friend - he couldn't believe it.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master

A fellow I know who is a Sightron dealer just came back from Russia and says they are about out of Mosin rifles in currently know stockpiles. He said the price is due to jump on the Mosin's soon.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    Bargains are still out there. My son-in-law just had one fall into his lap. From same guy, he got a Norinco Mac 90 (shades of complying with the 1993 gun ban thingy) for 400 bucks and a beautiful Finn 1944 Sako barreled M-39 for $120.00 with all matching numbers.

He really likes the Mac 90 thumb hole stock, but what impressed me was the workmanship in machining which the Chinese put into making this particular rifle. Don't know if all Mac 90 rifles are made like it, but this one puts current crop of AKs offered to shame.
    Not familiar with the Mac90 (sounds delightfully nasty though!), but the Finnish Mosin Nagants bring over $AU1000 here in good condition.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."