WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plan on leaving a c&b revolver loaded for long periods, have ???

Many years ago, I had a chain fire, with nothing as a seal. I then had a roman candle effect with Crisco. Now I only use candle wax to seal the chambers and have had no problems firing after years of storage.

Boolit Bub
    Thats a good idea! I'll try that, but I'll use beeswax instead, I think most candles are made from a petroleum based wax. But I guess it doesn't matter if you are only going to fire it 6 times.

Boolit Buddy Sergeant Earthworm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    Many years ago, I had a chain fire, with nothing as a seal. I then had a roman candle effect with Crisco. Now I only use candle wax to seal the chambers and have had no problems firing after years of storage.
    I've never heard a first hand account of a chain fire. Would you care to offer more details, such as, one cylinder or more? What type and caliber revolver, brand and size of caps, type and weight of powder, injuries or damage? I know that is asking a lot and the memory may have faded, but I'm sure your experience and lessons learned would be of value to many of us.

Personally, I use over powder wads lightly lubed with bore butter as chain fire prevention in my .44 caliber 1858 Remington. Some say the wad is unnecessary. I say it is cheap insurance and helps prevent leading of the bore at no extra charge.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One of the first black powder guns I owned was a Colt Walker copy. I didn't know a thing about them. Had a chain fire of four cylinders. Exciting!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    One of the first black powder guns I owned was a Colt Walker copy. I didn't know a thing about them. Had a chain fire of four cylinders. Exciting!
    What was the cause? Any injury to you or bystanders? Any damage to the gun? The idea of shooting four balls simultaneously does sound exciting...

Boolit Master
    thanks for the advise so far.

i dont mind lending the gun for several reasons, the least of which is the gun cost less than $100.

the euroarms cylinders are tapered so there is no "lead ring" to indicate a good seal, so i need something to keep moisture out.

a good seal of the cylinders is important because the weather here is wacky. with heater on during the night and ac during the day. even modern firearms get rusted easly, and i have found condensation on guns during a power outage.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Earthworm View Post
    What was the cause? Any injury to you or bystanders? Any damage to the gun? The idea of shooting four balls simultaneously does sound exciting...
    The cause was, I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and hadn't greased the cylinders. No injury at all to myself or the pistol. There were no bystanders, and considering the balls pretty much had to go more or less forward, wouldn't have proved a hazard from lead flying in odd directions.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Sgt. Earthworm,
    Here's an article on capping & is omewhat applicable to chainfires where they create an out of battery discharge and test the flight of the ball in a C&B.
    http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/a...s/capping.html
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Mold
    Somewhere between the north and south poles
    I have often kept a BP revolver for home defense or concealed carry. I've never had a problem with misfires. Make certain the pistol is very dry before loading. I use my wife's hair dryer to be absolutely certain it is dry before loading. Load with FFFG Goex or Triple 7, Remington caps and put crisco over the bullets. I do not use lubricated wads or any lube on the bullet. This has worked well with a 1858 replica, .36 Colt replica and the NAA Super Companion. In the NAA I prefer 777 otherwise I use FFFG Goex.

I have also kept a 12 ga SxS percussion gun loaded for extended periods of time with no problems.

I have never been a fan of Pyrodex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Sgt. Earthworm,
    Here's an article on capping & is omewhat applicable to chainfires where they create an out of battery discharge and test the flight of the ball in a C&B.
    http://www.brimstonepistoleros.com/a...s/capping.html
    Thanks for the link. I am curious as to whether there is anything common to chain fire incidents. Probably not a lot of data about it because it's pretty rare. I never grease the cylinders and have never had a chain fire, just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for one. Plenty of excitement in my life, don't need any more.

Chain firing is argued to death on the BP C&B boards. My personal opinion is that most occur from the front from poor fitting balls (shaved out of round, casting defects, too small diameter, etc) or defects/irregularities in the chambers or chamber mouths. I find it hard to believe that the flame can get under a cap unless it is poorly fitted too. REAL POORLY fitted. I suspect some chainfires occur in brass frames after the recoil shield gets pounded in and dented enough to let the nipples contact the recoil shield when fired.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Mold
    wow great advice never left mine loaded for fear of miss fires

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    How many of you guys have actually experienced a chain fire? I have, 3 chambers. The front of the chamber was greased with Crisco, so the chainfire ignited from the cap end. It stung, but there was no damage to me or the gun. Chain fires can and sometimes do happen. I still don't "grease" the caps, but I do make sure they fit tightly.

As a youngster (1960s) I used to shoot my father's original Remington. I have had chain fires several times. Never did understand why it never fired the chamber in the 6 o'clock position. I am glad it didn't. One of these days that gun is going to be mine along with the pair my grandfather had.
    Last edited by lrdg; 01-28-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Can't spell