RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown calibers

Unknown calibers

I bought several boxes of reloading stuff from a retired competition bench rest shooter a while back, and I'm not familiar with some of the brass I got. A lot of 222, and 222mag stuff, but also 30/06 Ackley Improved, and 7mm BR.
    Are these specialty rounds, and is anyone familiar with them?

Banned

they ain't that special.
    the 222 and 222 mag are the fore runners to the 223 remington,and 204 ruger rounds
    7br is a necked up 6br.
    they competed with the palindo/palisimo case based on the 220 russian.
    the 222 can still be bought in the cz rifles and is an accurate little round.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    7br is a necked up 6br
    Actually, the 7BR is based upon the old .308x1.5, a Frank Barnes wildcat from the early 1960s. Originally developed as a possible military round, it was quickly adopted by the benchrest guys who promptly necked it down to, first, 7mm and, later, 6mm. Remington offered (2) factory guns...the 40X rifle and the XP-100 pistol...chambered for the round and was the only company ever to manufacture factory-loaded ammo or brass.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

And the .30-06 Ackley Improved is just a modified .30-06, blown out for more powder capacity. It gave a small advantage over the stock .30-06 when hand-loaded using the powders available in the '50s and '60s, and you could easily modify the chamber in your sporterized Springfield, which kept the cost low. Nowadays people just buy a new rifle in 7mm Rem Mag or some such.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned

I shot many of those calibers and the old .222 was the most accurate of all of them.
    The 7BR is also one of the best. I have one left in MOA but had an XP100 that I made a custom walnut stock for. My 10" MOA and the XP would both shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yards with a scope and rest. Bill has it correct for history.
    The Ackley was good and all you needed to do was shoot 30-06 ammo and you had Ackley brass.
    The PPC cartridges (Palmisano-Pindell) were based on the .220 Russian case and were top dogs but the BR rounds bit at their heels.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just send the 7mm br brass to me, I will give it a good home!!

Rockrat,
    I have a hundred that look to be unfired. I don't need them if you want them. send me a pm if you would like to trade something for them. )
    Thanks,
    Bo

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=44man;2011355]...Bill has it correct for history...[QUOTE]

History, what History? As Elmer put it: "H***, I was there!" Around the time I was a HS senior, my shooting team coach built himself a Bullpup .308x1.5 using a P.O. Ackley barrel (Ackley also made the barrels used by Frank Barnes) on an M98 action. I actually got to shoot the gun a few times and it was definitely super-accurate for its day. A few years later, during my IHMSA days, I had an XP-100 in 7BR that, like .44man's, would shoot 1/2 moa (or better) off a good solid rest. I liked the cartridge so well that, eventually, I had a Chilean Mauser rechambered just so I mess around with it in a rifle. Never got around to the 6BR, though...I still own (and, occasionally, shoot) the M700 in .243 I bought myself as a college graduation present and have never felt inclined toward reinventing the wheel.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 01-17-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

Yes Bill, you and I were there. Weren't the guns just great?

Boolit Grand Master

Times past were good times for those of us who lived them 44Man!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    My mind just can not fathom someone not knowing what a 222 is. 219DW I can understand but a 222!!! It seems any accuracy student spent first grade with a 222, or maybe generations have passed it by. I have become antique.

Thanks for all of the info guys.

Bullshop,
    I have heard of a 222, just never seen or messed with one. I grew up deer hunting with a 30-30, and bought a 270 as a late teen. Raising 4 children, in the past I never had the money or the time to collect guns, shoot a lot, or appreciate the joys of reloading. I am now 47, and have collected a lot of the more popular calibers.
    Not until I started reloading last year did I start learning about all of the different "non-mainstream" calibers.
    Now casting looks like it might be my next obsession.

I have my dad's first rifle, bought for him by my great grandfather. A remington 760 pump in .222 she is quite the rare bird. You dont see them very often. Amazing how many deer he killed with that little "varmint" gun.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a few XP-100's in 7BR and accurate is an understatement. Had one built by Ralph Bond with a Shilen match barrel and chamber that was simply amazing. After many thousands of rounds of jacketed through it and it started to loose it's edge I turned it into a strictly cast shooter and it was nearly as good as the day it was new.

As good as the 7BR's were I've never had anything shoot like the 6br, that XP would shoot the hair off fly's hienny at 200 meters. Almost as accurate was the 6.5 BR.

Yep the guns were amazing but back then so were my eyes, can't see the sights anymore now. The good ole days.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I had an '06 Ackley in the '70s and no chronograph. I wish I still owned that '06.

MJ

Boolit Master

Had a '17 Endield by Eddystone recut to '06 Ackley. Nice shooter if one had a gun bearer to haul it around.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

A 760 in 222, now that would be a keeper. I like pump action rifles, have a model 14 in 30 Remington. It doesn't have a sling of any kind and won't as long as I have it. That way it's pretty much always carried "at the ready". If the idiots in charge ever ban semi-autos, the pump action, I think would be the way to go.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    cbrick

Boy, can I relate to the eyes part!!! Use to be, not only could I see the hind end of the fly at 200, to shoot it, but could tell if it was a guy or a girl Now, its "What Fly, I don't see anything"

Banned

yessir the 30 rem br was a good round, and then they kill it off through no support or rifle building.
    then introduce the 30rar years later and i bet they just let it die instead of building a few bolt guns.
    and get the 6mm twist rate wrong,and the 260's twist rate wrong.
    kill off their 30 and 7mm saum... [good rounds too]
    they neck up a winchester invention and it takes off just fine though..

I never really thought about the 222 as being old --
    I just introduced my granddaughters to the joy of sending a bunch of 225462 down range out the rem 722 -- But - I did buy it in 1959 --
    It cost a whopping $75 with a weaver k-6 and two boxes of shells --