RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data

View Poll Results: What side of your bench is your reloading press mounted on.

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right handed with press on right/ left handed with press on left

143 59.83%
  • Right handed with press on left/ left handed with press on right

31 12.97%
  • Just mount the press in the center of the bench.

65 27.20%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you operate your press or hold the cartridge with your dominate hand?

Boolit Master
    Pretty impressed with the number of lefties here. At the risk of sounding like a broken record I too am for the most part ambidextrous. It is an inevitable byproduct of living in a right-handed world. Neither of my arms are noticeably stronger than the other. Pulling a press lever is no big deal. My left hand is still slightly more nimble than the right though: feed with left hand - ram right hand.

With all of the right-handed guns out there I'm thankful towards Sam Colt

Boolit Master

I am left handed and have the turret press on the far right. Everything is fed or done with my left hand. I never gave it much thought when I set the system up. It just seemed right for me.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I'm left-handed, too. Been dealing with a right-handed world for 35 years and consider myself functionally ambidexterous. That being said, all power motions performed with non-dominant arm/hand when possible (operating press handle), all dexterous motions (handling boolits, primers, etc.) performed with dominant hand. You'll have to make the call with your own equipment, but no matter how you do it, you can get used to anything in time.

Gear
    I'm a lefty too, and work my press this same way. Run the handle with my right and pick/place components with my left.

As for equipment placement, it all comes down to personal preference and space available. I prefer to have space available on either side and behind the press for placement of components, finished rounds, and tools. I would consider 12" as the minimum space between pieces of equipment.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have more than one press mounted work handle with my right hand and everything else with my left hand. With my sizers I need space on both sides same way with my priming setups. Thing is no matter how many ways I redo my setup it seems just not right.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by buyobuyo View Post
    I'm a lefty too, and work my press this same way. Run the handle with my right and pick/place components with my left.
    Yep. That's how I do it.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    How mine is set up, I use my dominant hand on the handle.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Man
    I have two benches.One that is eleven feet and the other that is six feet. The eleven footer holds a Lyman AA Turret, 3 Dillon 300's and a Dillon 650 with an RCBS Ammo Master set up temporarily on it. The other presses are permanently mounted.

The six footer has a MEC 9000G, a Dillon 550, A Star Progressive, a MEC 650 and another Lyman AA Turret. I have an extra MEC 650 set in the back to swap out for 28 gauge also.

All press are run right handed. IT is a god thing I only use one press at a time though we had three going before a PD shooting trip one day.

Greg
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Doby, I'm like you, however I shoot a handgun right handed, long gun left handed.

Heck, I'd give my right hand to be truly ambidextrous ...Ray
    Mee too, long guns left and pistols right. Shooting most pistols left they seem to want to twist out of my hand. I go either hand on many different things but am right handed and left eyed. Dada a righty and moms a lefty.... As for my presses, right on the lever, left to handle cases but right to set boolits.

Ron

Boolit Bub
    I'm right handed and my Dillon 550 is in the center of the bench. On the left end is a old Star machine and between the two is a sizer/luber. I've got a place to my right for other stuff that can be moved/replaced as needed as I don't use them as much. Still there is plenty of room on either side of each machine so that it's clear of the next one and there is plenty of room to work.

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    I have only one hand so the answere is yes. I have set both of my presses up at an angle so I can insert and remove brass without banging my knuckles. Priming gets awkard, I neck expand and prime on the same press but I have to be seated and use my knee to lift the handle while I use my right hand to position the primer arm. I have looked at Dillon and Hornady both to try and make all the functions easier, unless I get brass and bullet feeders it really does not make anything easier

My daughter is not as old as this thread.

Here is a video of my no handed press in operation.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Actually, I just realized that none of the choices fit my situation. I have my own version of a quick mount on the right side and can use any of seven presses and a lubricator. My Dillon however, is mounted on the LEFT side so the entire center of the bench is clear for other operations. Sounds good in theory, but in practice the center of the bench is filled with stuff!

Didn't fit mine because I have them all the way around the reloading bench. No work but reloading done on that bench.

Boolit Master
    I'm a southpaw also. I just learn to adapt. It's a right handed world which explains the writing on a pencil is upside down when I hold one. Down with righties! Lol

My Dillon is center of bench and soon I will have quick mounts lets and right of the 550 for other tools that I use. I need one more bench dedicated to shotshell. I have one dedicated to casting.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I sit right between two presses. Single stage set up for left hand operation on the left, Turret press set up for right hand operation on the right.
    But I am left eyed right handed too. So i do all kinds of weird stuff. If I want precision I go from left. if I need power I go from right.

Boolit Master
    Press in the middle, run it with the dominant hand (right) and feed cases-boolits with the left. Since i only have single stage, i have gotten pretty darn fast during resizing and belling by grabbing two cases with my left hand and feeding them in, seems to work pretty good for me, also like to keep press in the middle so processed brass-loaded rounds can go on one side, unprocessed-charged cases stay on the other.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    My progressive is offset to the right with a cut out angle bench, which then faces the loading plate/area almost front on, operate with the right hand & feed with the left.

Right handed with everthing I do...........but swing an axe & golf club left handed.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

why don't you try the press at different locations till your happy,use c-clamps before you drill that bench.how about apicture of the bench.Bob

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I'm a southpaw also. I just learn to adapt. It's a right handed world which explains the writing on a pencil is upside down when I hold one. Down with righties! Lol

My Dillon is center of bench and soon I will have quick mounts lets and right of the 550 for other tools that I use. I need one more bench dedicated to shotshell. I have one dedicated to casting.

Take care

r1kk1
    I agree it is a right handed world. I learned to adjust also. In fact, I also learned to shoot right handed because of it. I operate the press with my right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I'm left-handed, too. Been dealing with a right-handed world for 35 years and consider myself functionally ambidexterous. That being said, all power motions performed with non-dominant arm/hand when possible (operating press handle), all dexterous motions (handling boolits, primers, etc.) performed with dominant hand. You'll have to make the call with your own equipment, but no matter how you do it, you can get used to anything in time.

Gear
    Same here. Wife thought I was crazy for asking her to pick me up some left handed scissors after we were first married. She used them one day to cut something, then complained about them hurting her hand. I told her it was the same with me using right handed ones. I still do a lot of stuff right handed. I bought a left handed 257 Weatherby Mark 5 about 15 years ago and still can't get used to operating the bolt on the dang thing. Still want to reach up with my right hand. The docs put this defib implant on my left side and were shocked that I bitched about it not being put on my right side where it wouldn't interfere with my shooting. They acted like they never heard of a left handed person.