RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: AL wheel weights

Boolit Buddy

AL wheel weights

I was looking at a friend of mine's truck tires and I saw one of the wheel weights and it read AL on it. The color was grayish white. Kinda like the color of bullets recovered from civil war battlefields.

Are "they" starting to use Aluminum WW? He said the tires were bought a year ago.

Six

Boolit Buddy
    that just means they are for aluminum wheels...

Boolit Master
    It would be a real pain to try to balance a tire with aluminum WW. Talk about big.

In Remembrance

Usually is coated with a plastic or paint, which will burn off.

Banned

Made of aluminum, no good for boolits, please ship them all to me, I'll pay full aluminum scrap prices plus shipping to dispose of them. I've also got some seaside property in Utah that I'm selling cheap right now..................

Gear

Boolit Master
    My brother in law brought me a 20 lb. box of clip ons he got from his tire guy. I went through them and there was only 2 that were lead. The rest were steel and zinc. California is not using anymore lead and hasn't been for quite awhile if these were recent take offs. Even the stick ons were steel!

Boolit Master

As of April 1, 2011, it will be illegal to sell or install a wheel weight in New York that contains lead. The state joins several others that have enacted laws banning the manufacture, sale and use of lead weights. California’s law went into effect on January 1, 2010. Illinois, Maine, Vermont and Washington also ban the products while Iowa, Maryland, Rhode Island and Wisconsin have considered a ban.

Hopefully it won't be banned for possession.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Man

Had a guy build me a serious bullet trap,that would handle anything I can throw at it....$150.00 at first I was taken back... but after reading everything legislative... my guess is it will pay for itself is short order...

Boolit Buddy
    send that zinc to me for lead

In Australia, the ones that I find like that are magnetic - a ferrous casting of some sort:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...an+lead+report
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

Any more, I find more steel stickons than any other non lead WW's. I started saving them, too. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    up here in canada there are a few still kicking around but it will be only a matter of time before the lead ww dry up. i have 800lbs in one lb bars on hand so i am hoping that should last me for a few years to come.

Boolit Master
    I've run the diagonal cutter test on the AL-marked wheel weights and, so far, they've all passed. Just have to make sure there isn't a "Zn" tacked on to the end. I also have run into a number of weights marked MC-Zn that do not pass the cutter test. All the other variations of MC have passed.

Locally (Colorado), I'm now running almost 25 percent rejection for zinc and iron wheel weights (from those very few places that will still sell them to me). I'm separating those out and will see if I can get a few pennies for the iron weights and the huge amount of steel clips I'm accumulating. In the meantime, I'm willing to pay up to 80 cents a pound because the supply will dry up at the most inopportune time.

Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Man
    I went to a auto shop I have had work done in the past. They have a barrel that weighs a few hundred pounds. They said I could sort it and pay .5 a pound. Not too bad in my opinion. 45+ lbs today ans mostly big clip ons + stick ons. Only found maybe 20 zinc or steel ones. Even though I have to pay I think it is still a decent deal with pure lead ones and my choice . Pix doesn't look like that many llbs but man that should produce a fair amount of 120 grain 9mm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by on1wheel01 View Post
    I went to a auto shop I have had work done in the past. They have a barrel that weighs a few hundred pounds. They said I could sort it and pay .5 a pound. Not too bad in my opinion. 45+ lbs today ans mostly big clip ons + stick ons. Only found maybe 20 zinc or steel ones. Even though I have to pay I think it is still a decent deal with pure lead ones and my choice . Pix doesn't look like that many llbs but man that should produce a fair amount of 120 grain 9mm

that's a relationship i would nurture. good deal.