WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A day at the Ranch pic heavy

Boolit Master
    It took me YEARS to figger out why Cowmen hated Sheepherders, AND THEN, the other day I was looking through LOML’s cook book and noticed---Sheppard’s pie is made from BEEF!!!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    It took me YEARS to figger out why Cowmen hated Sheepherders, AND THEN, the other day I was looking through LOML’s cook book and noticed---Sheppard’s pie is made from BEEF!!!
    The difference is, the sheep will graze in a pasture and only leave a stubble. The sun ends up baking the roots and you cannot expect to bring cattle onto that pasture for a year or more. The cattle graze will leave a couple of inches and with a little rain the feeding starts in a month or so.

helice , we try and keep 'em rare to medium rare.

Duke, with that kind of help you've got it made! Forget the table! How many calves to brand? I'm puzzled? I don't know AJ. Help me out.

Rick
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Quote Originally Posted by Az Rick View Post
    helice , we try and keep 'em rare to medium rare.

Duke, with that kind of help you've got it made! Forget the table! How many calves to brand? I'm puzzled? I don't know AJ. Help me out.

Rick
    Apache Junction AZ. Everyone there just called it AJ when I live there. Barbie wants 50 to 70.
    His wife broke both her wrists and neck a few years ago on a ATV. (We just sold ours) She has made a full recovery but now she just sits around and looks pretty with some really long nails and makes us all laugh. 6 foot tall and a DOLL!.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-04-2013 at 10:14 PM.

I got this same picture by the mesquite trees/Jojoba bean tree only I'm in the pic. I'll track some down.
    Do you have a bigger pic of this horse?

Thanks Duke, I thought it was a person I should know. I actually live in Tucson but the Ranch is probably two and a half hours from "AJ". I don't go up North too often. Apache Junction is now in the big metro area of Phoenix, almost. I got a kid in school in Gilbert, ASU has a big campus there now. My how it has changed. Williams AFB is now An airport and College campus. We use those quads alot but they are dangerous. I'm glad your friend is okay.

You asked about 40 inches of rain. We'd wash away! Supposed to get 11in. here but don't. They measure the rainfall at the airport. If they get 11in. there it's "official". I never saw a plane that needed watered, but I have seen livestock that did. Thank goodness for wells.

Rick
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Thanks Duke, I thought it was a person I should know. I actually live in Tucson but the Ranch is probably two and a half hours from "AJ". I don't go up North too often. Apache Junction is now in the big metro area of Phoenix, almost. I got a kid in school in Gilbert, ASU has a big campus there now. My how it has changed. Williams AFB is now An airport and College campus. We use those quads alot but they are dangerous. I'm glad your friend is okay.

You asked about 40 inches of rain. We'd wash away! Supposed to get 11in. here but don't. They measure the rainfall at the airport. If they get 11in. there it's "official". I never saw a plane that needed watered, but I have seen livestock that did. Thank goodness for wells.

Rick
    That's sad. Yes AJ used to be nothing but Rednecks. We used to ride to a bar on Friday night called Kovack's corner where they had a live band and standing room only but we hung out on the patio because we were always healed. Huge baskets of chicken and fries were brought out to us most times on the house. Guess they thought we were security or something. Funny thing is they never got robbed.
    They would carry drunk as in plastered cowboys out and put them on their horse and send them home. It take 6 rednecks to mount a drunk cowboy on a saddle by the way.
    I have an engineer buddy out your way says you guys have a really low water table now and the aquafer's are really low but that was a few years back. Any change?
    We used to go HAM SEASON down your way with good results. I'll scare up some pics.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-06-2013 at 06:14 AM.

In Remembrance
    I have an engineer buddy out your way says you guys have a really low water table now and the aquafer's are really low but that was a few years back. Any change?

LOL Just this morning a guy called from Az, wanting to know if my old water well rig was for sale, he needs to take his wells down a little.

Duke you were early LE and didn't know it. Good on you. Those drunk Cowboys ," I wouldn't know much about it", are real Buckaroos! At least that's what we call them. For those that don't know it's an insult. You've got to hold your liquor. Hmmm, I always wanted a pair of those chaps,... say shaps,...with hair on them. We all wear chinks now, so much cooler when it's 110, at the risk of being pierced by something.
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

starmac, what are you doing in Fairbanks,... I assume AK. We have a Fairbanks in AZ, in the Tombstone/ Sierra Vista area. It was a mining town in the Earp days. I run a well rig some. A Smeal, small one, on a F350 diesel, 4 wheel drive, regular cab. We've pulled an 800ft. 2in. well several times, it's about the maximum. It's hard work but I like it. I forget what it weighed, with water in the pipe but heavy.

I know some folks think you get up in the morning and saddle up and ride the range, not so. You get the sprinklers working first so you have feed growing and pasture for the horses and some cattle. Then at times you have well issues. Then the truck won't start,etc. Water is the lifeblood.

Rick
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

In Remembrance
    Well I'm mostly watching my summer wages disappear in fairbanks, but not in Az. lol Mine is a drilling rig, not a pulling rig a mayhew rotary. I'm in Ak, but the rig is in new mexico. Mine is just the mayhew 500, and I'm not sure how big of a bit you can use with it. His water is plenty shallow enough for my rig, but I'm not positive it will handle a big enough bit for an irrigation well. He is going to check it out, and use it if it will work for what he needs.

Rick, have you seen our saddle shop? www.warponysaddlery.com

Duke, somehow I missed the horse pic question last night. He's my screen saver. I must have deleted the screen saver one. He's a Mexican horse, you ought to see his brand. I need to take a picture when it gets warm and he's slick. It's kinda faint. He's a real good cow horse. His rigging is a bit of a mess in that pic. We did a lot of uphill/downhill that morning. I did re adjust him before we started off. There's about 20 head directly behind me resting. I managed to coax them up there from the valley. My partner that day had just lost about 15 head when they had decided they didn't want to walk uphill. I had a ringside seat up there. They just bolted and you can't head 'em off in that kind of country. He tried. I did look at the site a long time ago. I'll check it out again.
    Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that,... they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0003.jpg   IMG_0004.jpg   Model 14 208.jpg  
    Last edited by Az Rick; 01-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Duke, you are a very, very bad man. I'm liking that basket weave breast collar by Cactus Saddlery. I'm about to need one. A matching headstall, aka Bridle to me would be real nice. That's Tack that will last.

Guy's I got a birthday coming up in 5 months or so, gives you plenty of time to save up,...make a real nice present.

Best
    Rick

"RIDE FOR THE BRAND"

Duke, somehow I missed the horse pic question last night. He's my screen saver. I must have deleted the screen saver one. He's a Mexican horse, you ought to see his brand. I need to take a picture when it gets warm and he's slick. It's kinda faint. He's a real good cow horse. His rigging is a bit of a mess in that pic. We did a lot of uphill/downhill that morning. I did re adjust him before we started off. There's about 20 head directly behind me resting. I managed to coax them up there from the valley. My partner that day had just lost about 15 head when they had decided they didn't want to walk uphill. I had a ringside seat up there. They just bolted and you can't head 'em off in that kind of country. He tried. I did look at the site a long time ago. I'll check it out again.
    Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick
    I haven't seen a cloths line pole since leaving CO in 89. If I were there I'd build you a post and lintel for tying horses to. The fenders seem awfully short in the third pics just curious. What's the manufacture of you saddle Rick?

Here's a pic of my favorite saddle but it's a crummy photo. I'm not much of a photographer.
    This is a Billy Cook Wade Tree saddle here with Buck Rolls.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-05-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Duke, you are a very, very bad man. I'm liking that basket weave breast collar by Cactus Saddlery. I'm about to need one. A matching headstall, aka Bridle to me would be real nice. That's Tack that will last.

Guy's I got a birthday coming up in 5 months or so, gives you plenty of time to save up,...make a real nice present.

Best
    Oh! You mean this one?
    You could have this on your horse as soon as Wednesday with PP.

Cactus Saddlery Basket Stamped Browband Headstall Bridles Headstalls

* LEATHER
    * HAND BASKET STAMPED
    * SCALLOPED CHEEK
    * STAINLESS STEEL HARDWARE
    * CHICAGO SCREWS
    * STOCK NUMBER 40211A

Cactus Saddlery Basket Stamp Tooled Breast Collar 2 3/4" Breast Strap

Last edited by Just Duke; 01-05-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Mexican horses are bred tough, no frills. You probably know that,... they have tough hooves, great in the rocks.

Rick
    The AZ desert is filled with horse shoe removers. If I got 1-1/2 months out of a set I was lucky. The Superstition Mountains are rocky and the ground is 3 inches deep in 5/8" volcanic rock that sounds like your walking on Corn Flakes. Cholla's were pretty nasty our way so full length chaps were the only way to go. Your right on the horse though. If I was moving back there I would go with Mustangs this time around.
    Do you have an Aremotor on your well?

Boolit Master
    Here's my favorite headstall. No fancy stamping, but real convenient.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130105-00131 (Large).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	57678
    Combination halter/headstall. The two cheek pieces unsnap from halter so you can just drop the bit out when you stop for lunch.
    That's an ooold low port cavalry bit with roper's reins attached.

smokeywolf

Not quite sure why it threw the duplicate image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-20130105-00131.jpg  
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

That's a bridle. There really expensive and time consuming to make. And a low port grazing Calvary bit. You just need a McClellan saddle and a Light Saber and you would be good to go.
    Can you leave me your horse tack your dad made in your will?
    I'll trade you a Huge Kabota diesel generator for it all when you get your ranch. Were set up to be stocking dealers.
    or or or pretty single girl that cooks really good my wife hangs with.
    Just for kicks can you measure how hide the bit is?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sorry about my lapse in nomenclature. I always think of them in terms of the individual parts. Your right! Bit and reins attached, it's a bridle.

Don't have a McClellan but I did spend the better part of a couple of days in one once. They look like a torture device but are actually pretty comfortable.
    I'm down to two saddles now. The fancy tooled one on Stormy, the grey Quarter Horse Mare in my avatar. And, a partial restoration of an original side saddle that one of my lady friends used to use when we rode parades together.

We'll talk generators when the time comes. And as far as that pretty single girl that cooks, I'm afraid you're gonna have to hang on to her. I already have one of those and she isn't looking for a girl friend.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789