Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
MCD ProductsRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Thread: Any experience with speargun powerbands?

Boolit Buddy

Any experience with speargun powerbands?

I've been wanting to build a POWERFUL slingshot, something like a super wrist rocket on steroids. 40 to 50 pound draw weight powered by speargun powerband is what I'm thinking about. Does anyone have any experience with speargun powerbands? Attachment of the bands to the pouch is where I need more information.
    Thanks, Jeffrey

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Somewhere I recall seeing a picture of a wirst-rocket-like sling shot that was set up like a scaled down compound bow. The image I'm referring to was actually made to shoot arrows like that shot from a cross-bow but, with a little work it could be modified to work as a sling shot.

http://www.google.com.np/patents/US5...page&q&f=false

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52M0...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtp8NIEJAu8

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 11-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGM0r9Ihoo

I used to unscrew the tips of old sparkplugs and use them as inserts. I'd run a line through the hollow core of the insert, knot it, and then attach whatever I was using as a pocket to that.

Boolit Grand Master

Now there's a thought!

Hmmmm, not sure if modern spark plugs have the threaded tips anymore. Used to be more or less standard but many now are formed tips, not screwed on.

I will have to check that out though, good idea.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help guys. Still looking. J

Use Thera-band tube green through black. They can be put on a wrist rocket just like oem tube. Silver and gold are reserved for weightlifters and those not wanting to hit anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PullForceChartUpdate8_both.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	56279
    They can take my guns when they get past my IED's.

Boolit Master
    My bad, misunderstood.

Perma-Banned

As the owner of a dive shop I have lots of experience with spearbands. The thickness is too large and the inner diameter too small. You want something in the neighborhood of a 3/8 outer diameter and a 3/16 inner diameter. The larger inner diameter allows for more stretch. Make sure you save the extra stuff in a bag that will not see light as surgical tubing is latex based.

see ya John

Banned
    Here's tubing
    http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm

Here's info
    http://slingshotchannel.blogspot.dk/

If he has'nt done it you dont want to know

Vendor Sponsor

Guys, I have been shooting slingshots since I was 8 years old and my mother bought me a Whamo Sling shot made from solid Oak for $1.50 which I still have!

She wouldn't let me have a BB gun but the sling shot was ok. I killed 50 times more birds with the sling shot than I ever did with my BB guns.

As I grew older I graduated to 35lb surgical tubing on my Wrist Rockets. I could hit and break a beer bottle at 30 yards with every shot.

I have fallen off in later years but have been looking at archery to help with my upper body strength. However archery is a costly sport to get into with any kind of decent equipment and what I really need is another hobby to spend a bunch of money on.

The videos and sites listed above have given me new motivation to build better and more powerful slingshots.

The normal sized ball Jorge is shooting in his slingshots si 14MM. That's 9/16" for us Americans! I have never shot anythihg bigger than 1/2" and mostly shot .44 cal 240gr slugs.

His pump action, Sling rifle was shooting 20MM balls which are .787 or a little over 3/4". With authority! That thing would kill you inside of 50 yards easily!!!!! Hell the 44 cal slugs would kill you inside of 20 yds from a Wrist Rocket.

I have had a device of similar design in my internal drawing board for 25 years now I thought I had put it into my CAD program but NO!

Mine was an O/U design. His is a repeater,,, nuff said.

Anyway, seeing this guys stuff really makes me want to get back into it. His regular sling shots, and the ones from Bill Hays are pretty cool stuff that most anyone could make easily.

incidentially I have been shooting my slingshots at a 45 degree angle since I started shooting, simply because that's how the instructions on the Whamo Box said you should do it,,, in 1958!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info guys. Too busy today to download and look into the force calculator on the reef scuba site, but I feel like I'm finally getting good information to do this project.
    Jeffrey

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks Jeffery: for getting me all hopped up on slingshots! Damn it, I spent 4 hours yesterday looking at Jorg Sprave videos on Youtube ( he has 232 on there) and pretty much used up the whole day. Now I have to work on Sunday.

Probably will buy a Bill Hays Sling Shot simply because he is the current Guru of the device. With the possible exception of Joerg.

With a little practice I should be able to get back to lethal pretty quickly. My main reason for not staying current is not having any good material sources for band material. Now I have plenty. It will also work out my right arm which has been giving me problems for the last half of this year.

I have known for many years that a sling shot with the correct amount of power is a lethal device at close range. I have had them in my range bags for many years and used them to chase off varmints, and deal with annoying pests. Many Mocking Birds have fallen to my SS's when I couldn't get a shot with my pellet gun.

There are quite a few guys making Sling Shots nowadays, and the old stand bys are still around. The best guy out there lives in Texas and his name is Bill Hays. I watched him put 20 shots in a row thru a 1 3/8" hole at 40 feet in one of his videos yesterday. No need to look further, he's the man. His prices are right and he knows exactly what he is doing. He also has the most inovative designs which look nothing like anyone elses stuff.

His website is www.pocketpredator.com

There are several other guys out there that are basically "Artists" using Sling Shots as a medium, and where as they are nice looking,,, the idea of paying $275 for a sling shot is not in the picture for me, and especially when I can make anything I want.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-29-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com