MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluxing with sawdust

Boolit Mold

Fluxing with sawdust

I am reading the boolit casting book by Glen Fryxell & Robert Applegate and they suggest stirring in a tablespoon of sawdust for "fluxing" the melt. Has anyone tried this? What type of sawdust; pine, maple, walnut or doesn't it matter? I am a couple of weeks from casting and am reading as much as I can. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeffrey AKA MrNRA

Quite a bit of info in older threads on this. Sawdust is ALL I use. Lately I use the large dust / small cuttings from my jointer. This is from Osage Orange and works better than anything else I have tried. I used to just stop by the cabinet shop and get whatever they sweep up, but the last time I jointed Osage, I kept it for this purpose and it works awesome. One warning, if it is a little dry and windy, and your casting outside, the alloy will ignite the sawdust and the wind will blow it our of your pot and into the dry grass. Don't ask!

Also, since your new to this, if you have a bottom pour pot, just leave the burnt sawdust on top of your alloy the whole time your casting and it will serve as a barrier to limit oxidation. Sometimes if the fluxing brings **** to the top of my melt, I will skim it off and reflux with sawdust, then leave that second flux on top while I cast.

Boolit Master

Fluxing with sawdust

Any sawdust, as long as it is dry, is good. I use wood shavings that is used for pet bedding that my local farm and ranch supplier sells.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354799002.033770.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	55407

Bliksem
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits MrNRA,

Anyone here tried sawdust? A huge number of folks here use sawdust exclusively me included due in no small part to Mr Fryxell. A very wise decision on your part to read "From Ingot To Target" as your getting started, a huge amount of info in it's pages that will get you going in the right direction. Next to that book is this forum right here, another wise decision on your part in joining. There is literally many hundreds of years collectively of casting experience here. Most of the members are quite willing to help new casters and share their experience. As you start casting remember . . . The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Good luck,

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 to all the above info, esp. the WELCOME ABOARD part! I am another who uses sawdust as fluxing agent, both for smelting and pre-cast "confirmation cleaning" of the smelted metal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Sawdust works very well. I am currently working my way through a bucket of seasoned elm chain saw chips and shreds. Another thing that works very well is ash from the wood stove. Ashes left on the surface of the final casting melt make a good protective layer.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Banned

hard wood shavings, ditto huntrick

Boolit Grand Master

I use sawdust exclusively.
    Read Fryxell's article.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    we have a large bin, that catches the shavings from our surface planer.
    When we change the oil in our vehicles, it gets dumped into the bin and stirred up.
    It makes great fire starter- no kindling required and while it stinks, it makes great a
    reductant for "fluxing" and putting the tin back in the mix. The other day I dumped some used cooking
    oil in the bin. When I fluxed, it smelled like french fries cooking
    Last edited by Jim Flinchbaugh; 12-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.

I also would like to welcome you aboard. After many years of trying different fluxing materials, I have gone to exclusively sawdust. It seems to work better than anything else, and doesn't muck up the pot. The "From Ingot to Target" is one of the best boolit casting reference books you could possibly read. And like cbrick said, this web site has the very best base of knowledge and experience for boolit casting of any website, and the folks here are really the best folks of any online community I've seen.

Welcome again to the world of boolit casting. If you ever hunt and take a game animal with one of your cast boolits, you'll probably be hooked on hunting with cast except under the most extreme of circumstances. Good luck.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the addiction. I, too, use sawdust for fluxing my melt. I emptied the dust catcher of my miter saw and needed something to flux with and noticed a bag of "Smoke Chips" by my BBQ and tried that. Works good plus a good hickory smell to the casting room...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I also use sawdust. Make sure you let it sit on top of the lead for awhile to let it dry out. Even packaged sawdust has moisture in it. If you start to stir in the sawdust and see or hear bubbles................ STOP and let it dry out. Just putting a cold spoon into molten lead can cause it to erupt. Try searching for
    " The tinsel fairy" on this site. You will find out what I'm talking about. 700-800 degree lead can and will burn deep and quick. You just have to do some reading and asking around here before you do something you wish you had not done. A guy has just got to be careful.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master
    When I started using saw dust soon after I started having clogged bottom pour outlet. But, maybe a coincidence or maybe more related to the wooden pot scraper I fashioned. I am back to a metal spatula and bee's wax.

prs

MrNRA: Welcome. I too use sawdust, living in 'timber country' I have a friend that goes into the mill where they cut pine lumber, and he gathers up a coffee can full about once a month. The last time he brought me wet, and I just spread it out on a couple of "DollarTree" tinfoil cookie sheets and let it dry for about a week. I have found that Ponderosa Pine sawdust works the best for me, the resins in it do wonders in the melt. I too stir them in very well then light them and let the charcoal sit on top of the melt. Happy casting!

Boolit Master

all sawdust except pressure treated from my saw becomes flux. I have a catch bucket to gather it up. I usually do a mix of mostly pine with various hardwoods in it too.

I've used a lot of things to flux but sawdust is by far the best. Just don't use MDF or even plywood, no way to know if the chemicals hitting 800deg lead is going to cause fumes of some kind. I only flux during ingot casting & when casting bullets, I use a wooden paint stick to stir w// That seems enough to keep things running smoothly.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I use the pine animal bedding, a 5$ bag will last a mighty long time.
    I like the extra added resin from the pine, ( rosin )
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I use 2x4s and cut them up with a course blade on my miter saw. I also get a few 3 to 4 inch pine logs(red and white pine locally) to saw up into chips. Works the best that I've tried. If you use it in your bottom pour( a person shouldn't, but if you don't have anything else to smelt in) , it can get ash under the lead at the bottom and clog up the spout. I have a scraper that I constantly am scraping the bottom starting at the spout and scrape away to the edge and then up the side. This gets most of it out and keeps the spout generally clean. I just empty the pot more often to get it all out.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Sawdust does a fine job of fluxing. Trouble is as noted by 40Super, ash and small carbon particles get trapped in the melt and don't always rise to the top. He has trouble with a bottom pour, I am a dipper/ladle man and find ash inclusions in my bullets regardless how carefully I skim after fluxing. I prefer a cooking oil and Canola is the best of them. It has a very high flash point so it won't flame up into your face like parafin and some other oils. It works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I must be doing something wrong.

Sawdust is all I use and not once have I had inclusions or anything in the spout.

The only thing I can think of is that I need to start stirring with a wood stick. That evil stainless spoon must be the culprit.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member