Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy load in .45 Colt

Banned
    I liked the video, again.

Dennis, I suspect you are a man after my own heart.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like more of a hand full than the 454 loads

Boolit Master

Having logged on long island , right next door to prince of wales , I know what you mean by the rain and weather , good video , keep it up

Boolit Grand Master

I, too, was happy to hear that the camera was unmanned. Not happy with sweeping muzzles. We
    can't afford to lose any of our shooting community.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Redhawk x 44 Magnum for the hifalutin' loadings. I know the 44 Magnum is among the more docile chamberings used by the hand-cannon cadre these days, but there comes a time and place where a slung rifle makes more sense than a holstered side-iron.......just prior to having my thumb re-located down my forearm into my elbow-crook.

The 45 Colt's 250-260 grain slug running at 1000 FPS is such an efficient load that I seldom load my big-bore revolvers much heavier than this level. Brass lasts forever--recoil is brisk but manageable, and can be enjoyed all day--no beast on 2 or 4 legs can absorb very many before re-examining his options profoundly--and perhaps permanently. 41--44--45......a standard-weight SWC at 1000 FPS does such good work, and at such small cost in material or recoil.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I have a Redhawk x 44 Magnum for the hifalutin' loadings. I know the 44 Magnum is among the more docile chamberings used by the hand-cannon cadre these days, but there comes a time and place where a slung rifle makes more sense than a holstered side-iron.......just prior to having my thumb re-located down my forearm into my elbow-crook.

The 45 Colt's 250-260 grain slug running at 1000 FPS is such an efficient load that I seldom load my big-bore revolvers much heavier than this level. Brass lasts forever--recoil is brisk but manageable, and can be enjoyed all day--no beast on 2 or 4 legs can absorb very many before re-examining his options profoundly--and perhaps permanently. 41--44--45......a standard-weight SWC at 1000 FPS does such good work, and at such small cost in material or recoil.
    The 45 Colt loading you mention (250-260 gr. at somewhere around 1k fps) has put God only knows how many men and animals into an eternal slumber.

Boolit Master
    I have no idea what the fall time would be on the muzzle flash from that pistol with that load. But, fall time of any muzzle flash will be determined by consistency of powder ignition, powder burn rate, and muzzle velocity.
    If the video camera is older than 7 or 8 years old, it's probably capturing images at 30 frames per second (progressive). Assuming a fast shutter speed of 1/500 sec., shutter would be closed about 31 milliseconds between exposures.
    If Mack Heath is right, and he probably is, and it's a 24P camera, then assuming a 1/500 sec. shutter speed, as he says the time between exposures is around 40 msec.
    Think I'll stick with 8.2 grains of Unique and a 454190 boolit.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

another cool video Dennis i love the .45 colt and in my own experience my guns really start to shine once the bullets reach 300+gr. and I can shoot them all day. I to have been guilty of sweeping the imaginary shooters that so often no one can see in photo's. Nice gun by the way

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    The 45 Colt loading you mention (250-260 gr. at somewhere around 1k fps) has put God only knows how many men and animals into an eternal slumber.
    The 45 Colt in its black-powder form was a better cartridge than its smokeless 20th Century imitators. Even those imitators running the 260 grainers at 850 FPS or so are no slouch when it comes to disincentivizing depredations.

The Unique load referenced by Smokey Wolf is a good one. 8.0 to 9.0 grains of Unique gets close to BP results--9.0 grains gives Lyman #454424 about 850-875 FPS from a Uberti Cattleman x 4-3/4", and 950-975 FPS from the BisHawk x 7.5". These can be fired all day, and I'm out of ammo long before fatigue rears its head.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold
    Here is an iphone video of one of my 250gr hardcasts over 26.5 gr of H110.

Flashed for all shots.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 22454 View Post
    Here is an iphone video of one of my 250gr hardcasts over 26.5 gr of H110.

Flashed for all shots.

Yes it did but each flash amount was different. Seems the last shot had a larger flash and all increased as you shot. Could it be boolit pull from recoil changing powder burn?
    I am a nit picker!
    I like your videos and they show much most ignore.

Another nice video Dennis!!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I know what 44man says about mag primers, but I have proved to myself and shooting buddys that H110/WW296 NEED mag primers. Higher velocity, lower SD and better accuracy. Get out your chronograph and shoot some rested gun groups. Prove it one way or the other to yourself in your gun. We were led to testing this by noting the various muzzle flashes in our collection of Super blackhawks and S&W 29s and later again with a couple of 10" Dan Wessons
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!