RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promise made and promise kept

Boolit Master

Promise made and promise kept

I became the owner of a .357 Mag double rifle a while back. The former owner is 92 years old. He seemed to want me to hunt with the rifle. I asked him if he liked venison and he said yes. I made plans to hunt with the rifle to the extent I purchased a NOE 36-180-FN-GC mold which casts in wheelweights at 186 gr for me. I loaded up some huntin' loads composed of 6.1 gr. Herco that seemed to group and regulate well from the old double. I shot this doe opening day at 5pm at 35 yards. She was broadside and offered me a chance to make a good pass through shot just behind the front shoulder. Off side was a hole about an inch diameter. Great performance from a great rifle that has not seen its day even though it is a couple of generations old. Now I've got the good fortune to share the harvest with my old and dear friend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4571.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	54154
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Great way to honor an old friend.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

well done sir, well done indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Very nice. I'm sure we would all like to see more pictures of the rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    A .357 magnum double rifle! How cool is that!

And your honor to your friend is even better !!

Nice work, but stop teasin' us!! Let's have more pics of the rifle and perhaps some sort of "back story" or history of the piece??

Otherwise, nice deer!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

Good show !!!! You did the right thing !!

"Moderator Emeritus"

Nice!!!
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

Thanks to all for the nice comments on my hunt and my double rifle. Yes I am very proud of the rifle because of my friend and its history. I have included a couple of pictures of the rifle. I believe the rifle to be German. My friend had owned the rifle for the past 50 years or so. The caliber is stamped to be 8.7mm. Unfortunately there is no length designation. The story is my friend had a gunsmith in Kansas slug the bore with the idea to make chamber inserts for a cartridge that was readily available. The bore was close enough to .357, that the inserts were made so as to be a .357 mag cartridge. The nitro proof marks are 1,8g G.B.P. over St. m. G. I am not sure what that equates to in p.s.i. The inserts were permanently installed I believe. The name on the barrels is Wilh-LeHannf Crefeld. The barrels are also marked Krupp Stahl. That is the story on the rifle as I know it. I have been meaning to take it to a local gun shop to see if they could provide any insight into the age and former caliber of the rifle. Any info anyone has here on it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4591.jpg   100_4590.jpg  
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Banned
    Well now that whole story is just extraordinary...well done.

................I think I would process the whole deer into mansized meal packages and deliver them to the very generous feller. Heck I might even make the first meal iffin he wanted me to. They do not make fellers like that very often anymore....take really good care of that ol' boy eh.

Promise made and promise kept

Don't get much better than that.

Man, that is a gorgeous little rifle!! How cool! Thanks for the pics AND story. and for the "mystery". As soon a i get settled at work tomorrow, I'm goin to check some resources and see what I can come up with, if anything, from the clues!!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Banned

Great story and rifle!

You da man
    "Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters." Archibald Rutledge

http://doingitoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

greatstory, thanks for sharing

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    This is one of those times that the frustration factor of not being able to appreciate it by laying eyeballs on it,,,,,,.

Great rifle, and a great friendship.

I'm certain you're going to get more calls to show it off in more detail. It certainly deserves it's own photo shoot.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    What a beautiful weapon. To bad for historical value it was modified.

Boolit Master
    Just awesome, man!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

That is a spectuclar shootin' iron! Imaigne it reamed to .357 Maximum!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Well done, Well done
    I feel sure the gun was for a 9.3x72R

The most frustrating but perhaps the most useful marks of the 1891-1939 era are the various sets of just numbers often present. The two most common sets of numbers applied were bore dimensions and actual proof dates.
    Rifles from later in this era are sometimes stamped with a bore (not groove) diameter in milimeters, the most common being 8,8mm for one of the 9,3mm cartridges and 7,7mm for one of the many 8mm cartridges.

Many earlier rifles will be found with numbers indicating the "gauge" diameter of the bore (not groove). For instance 108/49 would indicate a bore diameter from .350-.359" and hence likely to be a 9,3mm chambering of some kind, while 172/28 (.300-.309") would indicate an 8mm of some kind.

Mike

As for the markings
    see below

http://www.germanguns.com/technical.html

http://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1890-1945.html

Suhl, Germany: Month and year, 3 or 4 numerals as required, with forward slash between month and year until 1930s, as: 5/24 for May 1924. Afterwards without slash, as: 1163 for November 1963
    Last edited by skeettx; 11-20-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95