Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Best twist for 358 Win??

Boolit Bub

Best twist for 358 Win??

Hello all, I need some help. I'm thinking of having Jesse re bore a barrel for me in 358 Win. One of the questions he needs answered is twist. I plan to shoot heavy ( 250 gr LBT and 280 gr. NOE ) cast bullets. Is a 14" twist enough to drive these bullets nose first ? Or do I need to go to 12" twist. The plan is to drive them at least 2,000 fps unless I run into pressure issues before that level.

Your spin / experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

thumper, eh?

Boolit Master
    thumper: 1/14 works fine for me in two 35 Whelens including a 287 grain cast at close to 2000. Not sure if you can push a 280 that fast from the 358 case but, maybe. For sure 1/12 would work but the slighly slower 1/14 might be easier on the boolit.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks stocker. After doing a bit more searching, seems like most manufacturers go with the 14" twist. I wanted to make sure I used enough twist for the 250 / 280 grain boolits rather than get limited by a poor choice on my part. This rifle will be used for target work or, if lucky, ventilating pork. It will be on the heavy side too, recoil doesn't seem to be as much fun as it used to.

For lighter bullets like the 180 or 220, I'll use the 357 Max.

thumper

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have both 1-12, and 1-14 in .358W. Both will shoot into an inch at 100 yards with heavy (290 gr.) boolits in the 2100-2200fps range.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

My shilen barreled 350 mag has a 1 in 14 twist and shoots 200 & 250 gr bullets excellent!
    I belive Remingtons barrel twist is 1 in 16 for 35 cal rifles

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like 1:14" should be enough for what I'm going to be doing.

For boolits up to and including SAECO 352, a 1:16" will allow you to shoot the softest alloy accurately and at the highest velocities (all else, such as groove depth, held constant).

MJ