MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: What barrel?

Beekeeper

What barrel?

Tomorrow tells the tale.
    The Israeli Mauser and I will come to an understanding one way or the other.

I am considering rebarreling them ( I have 2) and am trying to figure out what calibers would be best.

Both bolt faces are for the .308 cartridge and would like to stay in that area

Was thinking about a 257 roberts but not sure.
    My shooting partner shoots a 6 mm Remington and is always ragging on me to get one.
    Didn't see one I can use the bolt head on in Cartridges of the world ( yet, still looking) but thought I would ask the experts for advice !

Any suggestions , constructive ones that is!

beekeeper

Boolit Master
    If they were mine and the actions were worthy of spending more money on I'd get a decent barrel and chamber one for 308 Win for sure. The other caliber? If primarily for cast bullet use then maybe one of the 33 or 35 calibers within the 308 family?? If for primarily Jbullets then the 260 Rem is hard to beat within the 308 family.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master

If it will work with the .308 it will also work with the 6MM Remington.

I would select the .308 and the .243.

If the .243 is too small for your taste, look at the .260 Rem.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Coated bullets, 260,7-08, 308.

Real Boolits, 308, 338-08, and best all if you are gonna hunt with it also 358.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    To keep feeding problems minimized I would stick with something based on the 308W case.

243, 257Souper, 260, 7mm-08, 308, 338Fed etc.

sbowers
    Concidering that the bolt face that fit the .308 will fit a large number of different cartridges your choices are many and the problems with feeding are easily fixed with a little feed rail adjustment the only thing that is limiting your choice is the length of the magazine and the size of the bolt face both of which can also be adjusted. That being said the .308 and the .257 Roberts are both excellent choices and with 2 actions I would have one of each or maybe a .308 and a 6mm.
    Steve

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sbowers View Post
    Concidering that the bolt face that fit the .308 will fit a large number of different cartridges your choices are many and the problems with feeding are easily fixed with a little feed rail adjustment the only thing that is limiting your choice is the length of the magazine and the size of the bolt face both of which can also be adjusted. That being said the .308 and the .257 Roberts are both excellent choices and with 2 actions I would have one of each or maybe a .308 and a 6mm.
    Steve
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137675

Boolit Master

The 6mm Remington comes from Remington with a very fast twist. This was done to stabilize the heavy long bullets of 6mm Diameter. Of course if you are going to replace the barrel you have all options open for twist rates.
    The .244 Remington was the first attempt at Remington's 6mm rifle. IIRC that rifle had a 1:14 twist and did not stabilize the long bullets as well as the .243 Winchester. Remington changed from the ,244 to 6mm with a twist rate of 1:10". The .244 was limited to smaller game than deer because of the inability to handle the 100-120 grain bullets.
    You did not indicate whether you were going to shoot cast or not. If cast I would go to .358 Win.

sbowers

Banned

I've done a couple of mausers. I used 3 Yugo 48 and a Turk. Two 308s and a 257 in the Yugos. The Turk I stayed with 8x57 with a bull barrel. All fed from the magazine fine. The Roberts was the only one I did not like. I can't say why, it just did not speak to me.

308s are so easy to get to shoot good, I would stay with that.

Boolit Bub
    Are these full-length Mauser '98 s ?
    Then I'd definitely go with 6.5-'06 and .338-'06. Probably make the .338 an Improved design.

Boolit Bub
    If they are the mid-length actions, I'd probably go for a .243 or maybe a .260 Rem or a 6.5x57 for the one, and for the second I'd think about a 9.3x57, or a .338 Fed.

Boolit Master
    this is just an opinion, but i was thinking the same as you. i was wanting a 257, but the 6.5 just has a better bullet coff. so i went the 6.5x55. it'll do anything you need to do. don't leave out the 7x57 either, that is another great one that get's overlooked alot.

Boolit Master
    My $1.95 ($0.02 adjusted for inflation):

Everyone should have a .308.

.260 Remington would be a good choice for the second Mauser. There is a great selection of 6.5mm bullets, and it's a round that does well past 1,000 yards. Which is why my new rifle is getting a Krieger barrel that will be chambered in .260.

Richard

Boolit Master

I used to want a .308 but after using my 6.5x55 on a Mauser 98 action for a few years now, I don't know what the .308 would do better than the 6.5. My next decision is what cartridge my next 6.5 will use. Since everything I shoot is handloads I'm leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor with the .260 Remington as a close second.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    ...I'm leaning toward the 6.5 Creedmoor with the .260 Remington as a close second.
    In a long bolt action, what does the Creedmore offer over the Swede or the .260?