WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp 200 gr load

45 acp 200 gr load

I recently cast some MP 452-200hp boolits(very nice mold). Last night, I loaded 150 rounds with data from Lymans 48th edition handbook. Loaded 50 with 4 gr of clays, 50 with 5 gr of bullseye, and 50 with 6 gr of bullseye. OAL is 1.24. The Lyman manual shows the 6 gr bullseye in bold print as possible most accurate load. After checking data from other sources, this is quite a bit more than others recommend. Lee shows 4.0 for start and max. I have looked around the net and most people use anywhere from 3.5 to 5.0 of BE. I am worried that the 6 gr load may be too much. Have any of you used these loads? What do you guys think? I will be shooting these through a Hi-Point carbine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolits 012_576x768.JPG 
Views:	996 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	48946

Boolit Master

All depends on YOUR gun. i wouldn't be surprised 6 grains of BE is a little stiff for an accuracy load. All you can do is work em up and find your accuracy loads for that bullet.
    6 grains of Bullseye under a 200 gr boolit is around 950 ft/sec of fun. It may work in your gun and it may not. It can be safe if you work your way there.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded 6 grains of Bullseye... It's more "sporty" than I care for... All 3 of my 45's run just fine with 4.0 grains of B'eye, so that's what I load nowadays... If I really wanted a zippy load with a 200 grain projectile, I'd punch it up to 5.2 max... But that's just me... 4.0 - 4.4 should make any 45ACP hand-cannon function well... Bullet selection/quality must match, of course.....

Boolit Master
    Good loading practice is to start 10% under and slowly work up. 6gr of BE is very stout for 45acp.

Boolit Master
    WST is my go to powder for 200grain boolits. Low recoil and clean, very accurate. I'm right around 3.8-4.5 grains.

Boolit Grand Master

5 gr Bullseye is my standard "go to" load for the 45 ACP with 190 - 205 gr bullets. It has been for yeears and I've shot thousands through many different handguns, sub guns, my Contender and a M98 Mauser converted. I've also measured a bit of psi's with the Oehler M43 in the Contender barrel. The psi of 6 gr is right at the SAAMI MAP for the 45 ACP with a 200gr cast bullet ( hardcast Laser Cast). It is asnappy load in M1911s and isnot quite as accurate as the 5 gr load. The 5 gr load made IPSC Major w/o problem and I've used that load for years.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    3.7gr clays works great in my .45's for 25yd paper punching with my Lee 200gr SWC.

Boolit Master

I habe had good luck with clays and super target. Clays seems to max much quicker. WST is much smoother throughout the spectrum and doesnt spike pressures as fast.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HANDYMAN View Post
    3.7gr clays works great in my .45's for 25yd paper punching with my Lee 200gr SWC.
    I've used down to 3.2gr of clays in my PT-1911 with factory spring, VERY light, empties at your right foot. VERY clean burning even that low.

Boolit Buddy

Try 4.5 of Red Dot. For some reason all my 45's love this load. I have 5....or 6 45 ACP's. It just works...and with this exact boolit too. It's my favorite boolit in the 45, shoots almost as good as his H&G 68 clone and feeds like butter. Mihec is a magician.

Boolit Master
    I have done well with 5.5 grains of Win 231 and 200 gn cast. 6 gns is a little stout and not as accurate.

Boolit Master

4 of BE will get err done just fine, 4.8 of tite group is about the same load,
    both are one hole shooters for me at combat range.
    A safe way to step it up is with long shot powder, no spike and pressure stays down. 6.5 with that bullet will end any argument, 6.8 is max for about 1000 FPS.
    Always check the hodgons site before using anyone Else's data.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Thanks to you guys for the suggestions, I am going to try some of these loads and I don't think I will be firing those rounds with 6 grains of bullseye. I never start at the max, but with Lyman showing it as most accurate, the temptation got the best of me. I am surprised they show this load in bold print (seems like it might be borderline to dangerous pressure)

Boolit Buddy
    I use 3.7 gr Red Dot for timed and rapid fire bullseye loads and 4.2 gr Red Dot for the 50 yard slow fire -- both with SWC boolits and I get excellent accuracy. I would think 4.2 would work well with your carbine.

Mike -- are you from Minnesota? I did a double take when I saw your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    I use 3.7 gr Red Dot for timed and rapid fire bullseye loads and 4.2 gr Red Dot for the 50 yard slow fire -- both with SWC boolits and I get excellent accuracy. I would think 4.2 would work well with your carbine.

Mike -- are you from Minnesota? I did a double take when I saw your name!
    No, I'm from Texas. Don't think I've ever been to Minnesota. Monday, I am going to pick up a pound of the Red Dot. Seems to be a lot of peoples favorite in the 45 acp
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I've been loading this bullet with Unique. I started out loading 6 gr which is stiff. I was getting 950 fps. I've since gone down to 5.5 gr and it is much nicer to shoot.

I get a lot of velocity variation because Unique doesn't meter well through my LNL powder measure, so I'm going to switch to AA7.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hughes View Post
    Thanks to you guys for the suggestions, I am going to try some of these loads and I don't think I will be firing those rounds with 6 grains of bullseye. I never start at the max, but with Lyman showing it as most accurate, the temptation got the best of me. I am surprised they show this load in bold print (seems like it might be borderline to dangerous pressure)
    The reason you'll see many load manuals give a "potentially most accurate load" is NOT that they actually went out and shot a bunch of them thru different guns at paper targets. Usually it simply means that those loads, in their test platform using their pressure and velocity equipment, showed the lowest standard deviations of pressure and velocity within the "Maximum Average Pressure" (MAP) limits as determined by SAAMI.

BTW, I shoot 200 grain plain base bullets out of my 1911, equipped with an average weight spring, using mild loads of Trailboss. Accurate, easy on the gun, accurate powder metering thru the measure, fairly clean burning, no leading and no chance for double charge.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

4 grs of red dot is my go to load with any 200gr boolit.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I really love Bulls Eye.
    I favor it in nearly all handguns.

The load you are quoting, in my opinion is too hot for best results.
    Lyman lists 5.6 to 6.0 depending on bullet.

I like 4.2gr and for sure would not exceed 5.0.

HOWEVER:

For occasional use for hunting or self defense, I wouldn't argue with a hotter load. But even then, I wouldn't exceed 5.5gr.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

6.0 of BE will probaly be a bit sporty but still safe to shoot as opposed to take apart. My preference for steel plate shoots is 4.2 with a 185 or 200gr or 4.0 with a 230. Does the job but give fast follow up shots.
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way