WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reminton's 1911--thoughts?

In Remembrance

Reminton's 1911--thoughts?

I looked at several Remington 1911s at the gun show today. I first saw some advertised in my last edition of the The American Rifleman, and then I remembered actually firing some way back in the service.

Really liked the ones I looked at and handled today.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on them?

Banned

The ones you fired were Remington Rand were they not? Different company.

Boolit Master

remington. Has aways be a copycat so what you see is a copycat of a colt but not as good
    Every gun that remington has made is a cheaper copy of someone's gun . I am not saying its a bad gun, but a cheaper COPY

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    remington. Has aways be a copycat so what you see is a copycat of a colt but not as good
    Every gun that remington has made is a cheaper copy of someone's gun . I am not saying its a bad gun, but a cheaper COPY
    I handled some Sig Sauer 1911s and just flat didn't like them. I do like the S&W 1911, but that Remington 1911 felt more solid than the Sig and S&W.

We had some Remington M40s in the service that were some of the finest shooting accuracy (read: sniper) rifles anyone had ever fired. Not sure what they were a copy of, let alone a cheap copy of.

Boolit Buddy
    i have a remington r1 .. i like it . seems well made to me and so far has been very reliable .
    my only issue was it shot about 6 inches low but a phone call to remington and a few days wait had a new sight in my mail box that fixed me right up .

the price was right to. at $675 out the door

Boolit Master
    i have seen some of the new remingtons. if i did not already have some 1911's i would by one. i have a pre ww1 colt a rem.rand a 70 searies colt and a argentine colt.

remember the sig s&w ruger and all the others are only copies also.

Boolit Master

One of the last write ups I read on the Colt versus the S&W had a comparison chart of several 1911's. The Remington Enhanced had better accuracy than any of the others including the Combat Commander Colt. A handloader magazine awhile back tested one and it was a very good report. Shooting over 10,000 rounds without a malfunction.

I haven't shot one either but have picked up a couple at the gun shop and it feels good. I liked the Enhanced model the best.

Boolit Grand Master

The Rem 1911s that I have handled (have not shot one yet) seem to be well
    put together.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

the rem 700 is a copy of the mauser push feed same as the 91 argie.

what i can't believe is it has taken so long for everybody to make a 1911.
    i mean china was importing them 25 years ago [good ones too]
    remington,ruger,taurus,ed brown,kimber,colt [i think they make one], auto-ordinance [thompson] which i have,a couple of guy's in wyoming in thier garage make one too.
    i'm sure there are others.
    but how hard is it to make a 1911?
    if it don't rattle when you shake it or slop all over the place when you pull back the slide and the bbl fits the front bushing it will shoot pretty well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    Who did they copy the Rolling Block from?

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

the rem 700 is a copy of the mauser push feed same as the 91 argie.
    As is the Winchester Model 70.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

the older model 70 is from the other one mauser made,as are the 0-3 springfields, rugers,kimbers etc..
    the 93/95/98's
    thier push feed is a closer copy of the 89/91 models.
    don't really matter though, they all do the job.

Boolit Master

On the 1911.com forum the Remington is pretty well thought of. There is some confusion as to where the slide and frame are cast/made. Remington claims that the pistol is "Made in America". Apparently the slide and Frame is at least cast in the Philippines.
    There are 3 or 4 companies that are competing for the $600-700 market for 1911. The Ruger ,S&W ,Remington seem to all be well liked.

Boolit Master

I have never considered the 1911 a Colt gun. Colt was just the contractor building the Browning design gun. They DID make some very fine examples though until the 80 series. I saw a Rem 1911 in satin nickel that I really liked, and I don't like nickel guns. They appear to be well built - especially for the price. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I recently bought a Rem. R-1 and I like it, have no problems. It shoots well, even handload store bought bullets and more recently cast boolits I made myself!Its the least expensive 1911 made in the US that I could find.
    Charlie

"The fool has said in his heart, There is no God" Psalm 53:1

Boolit Master
    Has anyone experienced fit issues with the grip safety on the R1? I read on the Internet (so it MUST be true!) that the fit is rather poor where the grip safety goes into the frame - to the point of actually being sharp. Just wondering if it's an actual issue, or a 'some guy on the web said...'
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

The one I shot seemed fairly tight, ran well and ate up a lot of the Lee 452-200 SWC, shot to the point of aim.

Definatly not a "built" gun but better than several that I have shot
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Remington R1 is on my short list.

I've shot a RO a fair bit and really like it.
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Boolit Master
    I want one in about the worst way. Handled one at a LGS and, other than needing an arched housing to work with my hand shape, it sure felt "right".