Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .45 Auto Rim in a Smith 625

Boolit Bub
    I'm currently shooting 4.2 grains of WST with the 200 grain (H&G #68 style) bullets for 50 yards and for 25 yards I'm currently shooting 3.5 grains WST the 185 grain cast bullets. I also like the 185 grain Paul Schroeder full wadcutters, they cut a HUGE hole in the target!!

I sure wish someone would cast up the H&G #78 bullets and sell them!! Ballisti-Cast sells the mold and calls it their No. 678 mold. That bullet should be the most accurate one for the .45 AR revolvers.

Bill

The H&G #68 style bullets can be found at

http://www.nsksales.com/
    Joe B.
    Georgia

Boolit Grand Master

I took a 45 colt cylinder and trimmed it for moon clips and use 45 Win Mag cases in mine. The longer case gives even more opportunities for powder and bullet combos, and the Win Mag brass eliminates the long jump to the forcing cone. The best part is that I can make really usefull shot loads for the revolver.

Boolit Mold

.45 ACP Magnum???

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    There's a used Smith 625 in .45 ACP at a local shop that is whispering sweet nothings in my ear. I'd rather shoot auto rim brass in a revolver, though, and a perusal of the various load manuals shows some surprisingly whimpy loads for this thing, no doubt based on all the WWI era revolvers floating around out there. I'm thinking that a person could get pretty well past 900 fps with a 250-grain SWC pretty safely in a 625 in auto rim cases. Have any of you gentlemen fooled with this cartridge?
    Just as an aside, I once chrono'd a 1911 Colt Commander for a fellow shooter who was complaining of excessive recoil. A friend was loading a 230gr SWC version of H & G #68 over an unknown type and amount of powder. The first round went 1228 fps! The next 1158 fps! Then 1200 fps! This out of a 4 1/4" barrel over my Pact chronograph. The recoil was fierce. There was no harm to the gun, the brass looked O K but it went a LONG way, but needless to say he didn't fire the rest of the ammo! Three rounds was enough for me. Who needs a .44 Magnum!

Boolit Grand Master
    All this discussion of 45 ACP/AR revos makes me thirst for one. Thanks loads, you guys!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub

Sorry so late to post

Finally got some time to browse. I use a Lyman 250 gr. SWC (can't remember off of the top of my head the mould number) and 10gr. of Blue Dot in Remington Auto Rim brass in a 625-3. I really like the pistol and it's the most accurate one I have. I don't shoot a steady diet of these loads. Mostly 180 gr. target loads. But it will bark if fed correctly. another interesting CB to try is the lyman devastator HP mould. PIA to cast but looks really cool in the AR brass. 10 gr. of HS6 gave 1050 fps. So much fun. The 625-3 is on my short list.
    Have fun.
    Brian

Boolit Master
    Curious as to what bullet is working well in the 625's. I will have a 625JM on the way by the end of the week.
    Geeeeeeee thanks Ken,lol. I swore I would never own a 45ACP.
    Jeff

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I can send ya a mold Jeff,,,will go out tuesday and a couple moon clips.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Oh,,and at least ya didn't "settle" for a 1911 eh ? ROFL
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

castboolits@gmail.com

Anything show up yet jeff?

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I will have a 625JM on the way by the end of the week.
    Jeff

I'm in a saving mode for a JM myself.

Rick

My lil 625

Last edited by 45nut; 06-12-2007 at 06:04 PM.

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    I'm thinking that a person could get pretty well past 900 fps with a 250-grain SWC pretty safely in a 625 in auto rim cases. Have any of you gentlemen fooled with this cartridge?
    Abert Rim,

You have probably already gotten more info than you thought you would but this link is to a guy that has "...fooled around with this cartridge..." and wrote about.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub

250 gr. SWC and 10gr. of Blue Dot in Rem AR cases

I'm pretty happy with both the accuracy and the punch. However I don't have a chrono so velocity is???? I know,..... bad reloader.... However the cases extract easily. Fun to shoot. (what isn't).
    -Brian

Boolit Master
    "My lil 625"
    Show off................... looks like I got the barrel, brass, etc. sold to fund this project.
    FFL on my end sent her info, so if all goes well next week to 10 days I hope.
    Where will it end? Now I will need dies, holster, mooner, demooner, lube die. The rascal will probably prefer a powder I don't have.
    BTW, uh, where did this whole CB thing take a turn? I thought it was gonna be cheap or cheaper,lol.
    I did get the mould and moons Ken, forget know if I mentioned that on chat the other night. Enjoyed the visit as always. Am at home now, dial up, I could churn butter while waiting on a page to load........................
    Chat with you this week sometime.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    625JM ordered and held today. You guys have yet to steer me wrong. First it was the 1903, then it was the K31, then the Krag, then another Marlin, then another marlin now a revolter.
    Bought some more moons this past weekend and had not even ordered the thing yet, man has got to be prepared,lol.
    I will send some pics to Ken and he can post them when it gets here.

Also debating wether or not to set the dillon SDB or the 550 up for the 45ACP. I am looking long and hard at the Dillon dies, I have heard good about them being easy to clean and change nose seating punches in just a few seconds. A few dollars differnce is all that there is on that side. I do still need to up grade the priming and powder system on the 550.

Also what is a standard go to load for the 45, somthing in comaprison to the old stand by of 3.0 of bullseye in the 38.
    Thanks gents.................. I think,lol.
    Jeff

I will tack this on here.
    Is there anything one should be aware of as far as bullet crimp on revolver loads for this, as it was intended to head space on the mouth of the case? A profile crimp die maybe? I doubt I will have trouble with bullet jump in loads I plan on shooting. But, recoil will be way different than it was intended in the auto. Maybe I think to much? Maybe I need to start a new thread on "how too's of the 45ACP in a revolver"?
    This usage will be with moon clips rather than the rimmed for any one else that may see this in future searches.
    Last edited by JSH; 06-20-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well after some longggggggggg waiting on shipping, it finally showed up. It is a SW, but not near the trigger of what I am used to from them. It is surely lawyer proofed, must be at least 8 pounds in DA. SA is very usable. I was under the impression that the trigger was smooth, not. I am going to make a phone call to the local S&W Dr. and see if I can get thing cured.
    The other thing I noticed was fit and finish on the grips where the backstrap meets wood. Sure leaves somthing to be desired, S&W is going to get a note on that as well. It does recoil down rather than up I know, but if one was to rest there hand on the grip in holster mode, it is some what of a sharp protruding edge.
    Not to say that I am not happy, I can make it work, one should not have to do this though IMHO.

I will get pics taken and sent to Ken so he can post them for me. He may want to frame them for he is the one that converted me for the most part. Classic 45's, have the 45-70 that I got from one of the gents on this board. Then the 45ACP, "who woulda thunk it".
    Jeff

What address ya send those pics? I am lookin'!

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Give me some time man,lol. Have not even taken them yet.
    Jeff

Pics yet Jeff?

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Ken, I have emailed SW with a few issues I am not very happy with to say the least. Grip fit and finish leaves a lot to be desire. The front sight will wobbles side to side.
    I looked at a couple of other SW that had this factory set up being removable and they were very tight to say the least. IMHO, if JM saw what the sent out of the factory with his logo on it I doubt he would be very happy at all. But, then again he probably got his $ and SW got the logo, to heck with the rest.
    I ordered some springs for it last night. I have no problem with that pasrt of it as it is more a legal issue than anything, a shame we have to protect our selves from the town idiots.
    I will get some pics, but I fear this may have to go back to the factory to resolve this. I surely hate that cat and mouse game.
    Jeff