WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I know when Im ready for a progressive ?

Vendor Sponsor

When your arm hurts so much you can't keep going you're ready. I don't know about your Butt, you can always stand up and pull the handle.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe it's just time for an auto indexing turret? Sounds like you want a progressive so go for it. But there is an intermediate step between a single stage and progressive. I can leisurely load that 1k in about four hours on my turret. I know a progressive would be faster.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

I wonder way anyone would start out with a single stage press if they are mechanically incline. The presses are not hard to work with.

Boolit Bub
    I have several rifles that I only load on single, and turret presses, use my progressive for pistols, and some AR's
    The terrain looks a Hell of a lot different when you'er crawling through it!

Wounded Warrior Alumni

Boolit Buddy
    What does that have to do with sitting down and loading SIX HUNDRED ROUNDS in ONE day! and 1000 in Two days!

MY gosh, give the man a break and give him a progressive!
    I should have worded it differently, i was assuming he does that often or he was shooting them regularly, as i do. I agree it depends on how much you shoot. At the sametime, there isn't any reason someone that only shoots 100rds a month can't use a progressive, it would just take longer to pay for it self (money saved in reloading and all).

Boolit Master

Do what you need to do and don't look back I did and am glad for that.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I wonder way anyone would start out with a single stage press if they are mechanically incline. The presses are not hard to work with.
    I would think because some don't need/want the output of a progressive press. Some like reloading, some like making ammo. There is a difference. Nothing wrong either way. Amount of shooting and time constraints would probably be the big factor...

Boolit Master
    How do you know when your ready for a progressive?

When YOU want one.

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I can tell you did not cut your progressive teeth with an RCBS Ammomaster.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been reloading since I was 16 on a single stage. About 7-8 years ago I got a Dillon 550b. I actually had a hard time switching over due to the fact that I was feeling like I wasnt in full control of all the operations, all happening with one stroke of the handle. Attention to detail was and is a big part of reloading for me. Got over it in a week or so LOL Now I load as much in a couple hours as I did with the single stage in a couple days... Go for it

Boolit Master
    I don't know. If you're not mechanically inclined and can't make machine adjustments, a progressive might not be for you.
    I started with a progressive. If you just want to load high volumes of pistol the SDB is an excellent machine, it was my first. I loaded 10s of thousands on mine of 4 or 5 differnet calibers many years ago.

If you want more volume than the SDB then you need to look at the 650 or 1050.

I know a guy who has a Hornday AP and he says it takes him 4 hours to set up to load each time he changes calibers. I don't know if it's him or the hornady is really that complicated or he just doesn't have a clue. He loads 1-2000 at a time and says it puts out 1000 /hr. That is 200-330 per hour using Okie math.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    I would suggest he just doesn't have a clue.

Boolit Master
    I agree. Clueless.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Took me less than five minutes to convert my Hornady LnL. Takes me a bit more on the RCBS Pro 2000 Auto Index I have now. Quality of ammo? About the same. Takes me a good bit longer on my buddy's 550. Quality of ammo? About the same.

Yes, get yourself a progressive. Mix and match, get the best of all worlds. Don't limit yourself to one brand of anything. Trust me, you'll be much happier. I am. I have Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Lee and Lyman stuff attached to my RCBS progressive. Did the same when I had a Dillon and a Hornady. Works great and gives me whatever special something I need for just the right cartridge.

life is good, choices are good

Boolit Master

my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Yes, its different setting up in so far as you're setting up all the stages to operate concurrently. Setting up each die / stage / function is more or less the same. Powder drop might be different depending on how you were doing it before.

Saying more then that though begs the more important question: WHICH progressive.

I'm partial to the LNL-AP of course but the Dillon 650 is also a very nice press. I say stay away from manual-indexing presses though. They are way too easy to forget to rotate the shell plate and then double charge a case. Just my opinions.
    Just a thought: Hickock 45 says he loads whichever powder overflows the case with a double charge. Makes good sense to me but does not eliminate the under/ no charged rounds. Could also cause problems with those long slender cases, but I am not currently shooting any of them.

Good luck on this new adventure. I thought I would just load my bullseye rounds because I needed so many...then found out how easy it is and am loading everything I currently shoot.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master
    If you can go out and reload, at YOUR leisure, and still keep up with your demand for ammunition, your press is fast enough.
    If reloading starts to hurt or you keep finding yourself short of ammunition, you need to move up.
    If you don't like reloading but still need lots of ammo and can't afford factory, you need a progressive.
    If you really enjoy reloading and carefully work through each stage and all the minutia--and need to be in complete control of everything--then you don't need a progressive.
    No body can tell you what to do. You have to make that decision for yourself.

Boolit Master
    Just have to comment about this:
    >I know a guy who has a Hornday AP and he says it takes him 4 hours to set up to load each time he changes calibers. I don't know if it's him or the hornady is really that complicated or he just doesn't have a clue. He loads 1-2000 at a time and says it puts out 1000 /hr. That is 200-330 per hour using Okie math.

Sorry, that is a lot of bull. There is no progressive that is as fast to change as the L-N-L.
    Unbolt and bolt in shell plate (well under 1 minute). Twist out 3-5 dies and twist in 3-5 dies (well under 1 minute). That is it.
    The powder measure may take 5-10 minutes to get the exact charge weight, the same as every other measure I have and less, for me, than my Dillons. For a little over $10, you buy a metering assembly for the measure and store each assembly with the powder and charge weight it is set for. Much cheaper than getting a Dillon measure for each pet powder/charge weight combination.
    Now, if he doesn't lock down the dies to the bushing or if he simply has to re-adjust the dies every time because he thinks he can do better this time than before, he simply can't be taking any where near that long. Even starting form complete scratch, like I had my son do when I was teaching him to reload on my L-N-L, we were up and running (with all the talking and fussing and such) in well under 1 hour and had loaded about 500 rounds each of 9x19 and .45 Auto in about 3 hours, total including bolting the press to his bench, without any effort, 'cause I wanted him to work slow and learn each step.
    If you need to change primer size, you need to change the primer tube, the primer shuttle, and the primer seater. This will take no more time than any other progressive (which one of those three parts is not required for any other press?) and is a lot quicker than my Dillon 1050s.
    I think the L-N-L is excellent, but the Dillon 1050 is near perfect.

Boolit Master
    Of course you want a Progressive. I dont recommend one as a learning machine. My take has always been. You will always have a need for a single stage press. So have one.
    Its not a ether or question.

Nothing says you have to drop big duckets on a progressive ether.
    Unless you really have to have the case feeder ect.
    a good 2nd gen press can be found for 100 bucks or so.

I use my single stage and turrets for dinking around and rifle loads.
    I will use the progresive for a bigger run.
    I have load 5 or 600 .380 and not touch that load again for a few months.
    Same goes for 223, 38 special. 357 and 45acp.
    Atlest once a month I am doing a run of some thing.

Heck buy 5 of them.

You can still make some good ammo fast with a oldie but a goodie.

Quote Originally Posted by alrighty View Post
    I can tell you did not cut your progressive teeth with an RCBS Ammomaster.
    Yes, I think you may be right. They could difinitly be "challenging" to a novice reloader for sure...

Boolit Master
    Good here from you fellas about the Hornady. I just couldn't imagine an outfit like hornady making a machine that un-user-friendly.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken