RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How cheap can I get?

Banned

or slow moving lead.
    i don't know about those glue sticks.
    i tried a mag sr primer in my 30 carbine revolver with a cut down 5/16th's glue stick and it was stripping the rifling.
    it penetrated 2"s of styrofoam insulation and put a dent in the metal garage door.
    i thought it went through and hit the wifes car it made so much noise.
    it did shoot to poa at 15' though.
    a body shot on a racoon would most likely penetrate.

Rocks is free and you might be able to find a big one in Texas.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Rocks is free and you might be able to find a big one in Texas.
    Hehehe..... Yeah, but they are heck on rifling!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Just bought one of these 732s yesterday. 2.5in. round butt. Fired little, kind of neglected though (some surface rust that came right off). Got it for $100. Me and my daughter just loaded 50 rounds for it. Can't wait to shoot it!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Cool story bro! There is something about this boolit shooting sport that makes us try and do stuff like that to show we can and how cheap we can get away with! Your equipment cost seems even lower than your materiel cost lol
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit casters aren't cheap; they just maximize ROI while shrinking POI.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Boolit casters aren't cheap; they just maximize ROI while shrinking POI.
    No, really. I am cheap. At least on everything BUT my shooting sports. Just ask my wife.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Got another one!

I am pretty impressed with this little concoction (or should I say Cooncoction) for dispatching trapped animals. This is working out great for one shot kills up close. I know all rounds have the possibility of riccochet, but I think the possibility of this little buck load riccocheting is less than the high velocity of a 22. Especially since I have not had one exit a head yet. I wish I would have known about this back when I was traplining.

Boolit Master
    I hate those things!!!
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Only thing cheaper would be a sharp stick! I just want to know were you got those 1.5 cent primers! Even if that's all you paid for them years ago, today they are worth double that.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine's father passed and he wanted to sell me his dad's reloading gear. His dad had about 15,000 primers in their origional boxes vacume packed in the wild game vacume bags. All winchester stuff. I got a couple presses, a shotgun press, about 20 pounds of various powders, primers, etc. for 500.00. He only wanted 250.00, but I just handed him a wad of cash and he didn't count it right then. After I left, he called me and fussed at me. I told him to go have fun and I was making out like a thief. He told me that he felt bad about asking for the 250.00 and was glad the equipment was getting a good home. I was just putting a round estimate on the primers, but I know they are cheaper than that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    I just did the math......
    18.00 a pound (the tag is still on it)
    divided by
    7000 approximate grains per pound
    .0025 cents per round.
    I was way off.
    up here, primers are near $0.05 now

and using your math, 25/10000 of a cent is pretty cheap... actually it works to about 1/4 of a cent, so 4 grains would be 1 penny
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Mold

Cheap? UR not even close

One of my co workers now deceased used the tail pipe for killing his chickens while warming up the car.
    Another words he was forever know to choke his chicken.
    And being the animal lover he was ( raised chinchillas in the house, sheep in the front yard ) when he had coons in the chicken coop like you he used a have a heart trap. The difference is he BAYONETED his coons with the 16 inch 1903 springfield. He said the coon got real pi__ed off after the first stab but lay motionless after the third thrust.
    And I swear I'm not makein this up!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don1955 View Post
    One of my co workers now deceased used the tail pipe for killing his chickens while warming up the car.
    Another words he was forever know to choke his chicken.
    And being the animal lover he was ( raised chinchillas in the house, sheep in the front yard ) when he had coons in the chicken coop like you he used a have a heart trap. The difference is he BAYONETED his coons with the 16 inch 1903 springfield. He said the coon got real pi__ed off after the first stab but lay motionless after the third thrust.
    And I swear I'm not makein this up!
    This reminds me of an incident that happened around here years ago.
    I was working on a ranch, that had a chicken ranch adjoining it.
    Their practice with laid out hens, was to load them in the back of a truck, run the exhaust through it, and haul them to the dump. As a rule the plan worked just fine. They would drive to the dump, unload, and come home.
    For some reason the plan didn't work out correctly one time. The gassing had been enough to render the chickens unconscious, but they were still alive.
    When they arrived at the dump, they unloaded the cargo, and left.
    As the fresh air began reviving the chickens, the dump workers were surprised to see chickens walking around the dump scrounging for food. Soon they saw more and more. Somewhere around 1200 chickens.
    The chicken farm was called, and apparently there was quite the rodeo as the chickens were rounded up and dispatched.
    After that, the euthanasia techniques were changed somewhat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Nice idea for a load. Recently read an article in BACKWOODS Magazine about a cartridge pretty close to that but the guy was using it in his mosin nagant with a 32 catridge adapter. Thought it was worth trying for cheap squirel hunting with my mosin, now I think you may have talked me into trying to find one of these old pistols also. Have a problem with racoon in my yard lately, but since I live right in the middle of town, Im positive someone will have a problem with me shooting them!!!

Boolit Man
    If you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper I used to subscribe to.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning ross View Post
    if you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper i used to subscribe to.
    You've got to be kidding me...
    Last edited by bigjason6; 08-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    When running traps for fur back in 82-85 I used 22 shorts as told from my trapping mentor. Junk *** 22 Winchester semi-auto loaded with shorts,muzzle against critters head and pull trigger. Animal is dead and no fur wasted.
    I guess even back then I had a strange belief in karma,trap animal,check trap as soon as possible and dispatch quickly.
    I did try drowning a coon in a live trap once, I guess the water was too clear and I spend too much time in a boat on a river,I pulled the trap out and let him go after watching him struggle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Ross View Post
    If you have to dispatch a large amount of small animals. A heavy duty wood chipper works quite well. 18,000 chickens with some internal parasite that made them uneatable. It was a write up in ag newspaper I used to subscribe to.
    I live in the turkey capital county of Missouri and I have hauled a LOT of dead turkeys to the "dead pit" and delt with mortality issues with my own chicken flock,BUT,
    PLEASE tell me the chickens were dispatched BEFORE going into the chipper.

Boolit Man
    No sir they were not.Imediate Destruction of the the birds were ordered by the state vet. The sheriff was called in on the complaint was referred to the state vet. After the sherriff consultated with the vet the chicken grower was ordered to proceed.This was some kind of very serious sickness The birds were dispatched and reains burned in a large pit on the property. And was quarenteened for 6months afterwords.