Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Standard Citation ?

Hi-Standard Citation ?

I recently purchased one & upon a closer inspection I noticed a notch on the breechface right where the firing pin lines up. I assume it's from dry firing but was wondering if it could be done at the factory. It seems to fire & function fine & I can't tell that the peening protrudes into the chamber. Just wondering if it was "normal" or needed a smith to correct it.
    Sorry for the poor quality pics. Cell phone camera is all I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-23-11_1825.jpg   10-23-11_1821.jpg  

Rusty,

That indent is just what you presume...somebody dry fired the hell out it. I'd be more worried about the firing pin. Nevertheless, take her shootin'! I love those High-Standards.

Ray

Boolit Master

ditto
    that is some dumb gun guy that had that
    like d4 said look at the fireing pin

Boolit Master

Years ago I shot on our squadrons pistol team, Supermatic Citation with muzzle brake & barrel weights, gun was a tack driver can't believe I ever let that one get away.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Well..it get's even better.

Got to looking closer and it seems the slide lock/release is missing also. Haven't taken the grip off to look closer & see what all is going on. On my lunch break now but will pull it apart for a detail inspection later this evening. Hope there's parts available....& cheap. I have $300.00 in the pistol maybe this won't hurt too bad.

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm getting an education on Hi-Standard. Heading to Rimfire Central now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-23-11_1823.jpg  

I love my HS victor. Once you get back in correct configuration you'll love yours. Note: they can be ammo sensitive so try several different brands.

Boolit Master

At a price of $300.00 you have alot of room to play with ! a compleate spring kit is also avaliable from Wolff gun springs or Brownells as well as seperate springs.
    the part you want is the slide lock leaver & slide lock spring and are avaliable from Brownells in the Hi Std gun parts section. or the gun spring section for the Wolff springs
    the slide lock leaver spring and the sear bar spring are 2 commenley lost springs for the HS pistols when dissasembly is done . i would get a few extra to have on hand !
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 10-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can gentle relive the peened bit in the chamber with a fine file "if it needs it"
    Or a small engine valve is about the right diameter if I can remember to rub ? gently knock it back out a bit.

But if its working and not causing issues leave it be.

hope it helps!!!!

Seek pro advice 1st

I called High Standard in Houston this morning. They had the spring & slide lock/release in stock. So for $15.00 plus shipping it'll be back to "semi" normal. I shot about 50rds through it yesterday & it seems to run fine. I really like the sights & trigger. I can see the sights better on it than on my Ruger MkII's & the trigger is no comparison. I intended to sell it and make a little profit but I think I'll hand on to it for a while. At least till the new wears off..

Boolit Bub
    Rusty,
    First off. Great find!

I would highly recommend NOT filing the firing pin burr off. Brownells makes a chamber iron for swaging these burrs out of the chamber.

For the $22 one costs, its money well spent to do it right.

Link:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...R-IRONING-TOOL

This is not rare on rimfire's.

FWIW

Boolit Master

IMO You will probely end up keeping the Citation and selling the ruger, or keep both of them !which is what i would do.

I had a victor with the same problem. My local gunsmith was able to peen it smooth. I don't think it was a deep as your though. Only complaint I have with High Standards is you can't shoot high velocity 22's through them and with the price of standard velocity 22's, I don't shoot them as much as I'd like. Don't even get me started on finding 22 short standard velocity rounds. I sold my mint 1964 Olympic with the 5.5 bull barrel ( Only year you could get one) because of the lack and price of ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Stork View Post
    Rusty,
    First off. Great find!

I would highly recommend NOT filing the firing pin burr off. Brownells makes a chamber iron for swaging these burrs out of the chamber.

For the $22 one costs, its money well spent to do it right.

Link:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...R-IRONING-TOOL

This is not rare on rimfire's.

FWIW
    I got the Brownell's swager several years ago. It has come in handy on several occasions, most recently on a 1949 vintage High Standard HB.

Boolit Buddy
    Most any gun shops have the swager tool that you're talking about to iron out the "strike" area. I have a Hi Standard Victor that will make the same mark that you have on your gun. It doesn't take a lot of dryfiring to do that either as has been suggested. If your firing pin is too long you can do damage on one strike of the firing pin. So if you do have the indention ironed out do have the firing pin fixed by a competent gunsmith. I'll give you 3 to 1 odds that it's too long and if it isn't shortened it'll do it again. I AM TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE. I put a brand new custom barrel on mine without having the firing pin shortened. My gunsmith said it couldn't be shortened (major BS don't listen to that one).
    You have a nice pistol there fix it right.

Boolit Mold
    I shot Hi-Standards on a Naval pistol team in the late 60,s, great guns. Later went to a S&W 41 probably should have stayed with the Hi- Standard or quite all together!

Boolit Man
    Hi-Standard has to be my favorite 22 pistol of all time. My dad still has his and it was the first pistol I shot as a kid. Hang on to that, it's a real keeper.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Apart from using th eswager on the chamber I wouldn't worry about the dent unless you are getting misfires.

If that is the case, I have seen my gunsmith mate fix a few 22 pistols with a huge dent from dry firing. He used to drill the hole and silver solder a piece of drill rod into the hole. Then he trimmed it off. Barely visible if done properly and the case is now fully supported and the firing pin can do it's voodoo that it do so well!

Great guns. My friend is selling a High Standard Citation in great condition for $300. I am so tempted, but have an old Browning Medallist and a Baikal target standard pistol and a Cyner slide for my 1911. I really don't need the guns I have, let alone more.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Many, many years ago I bought a High Standard M106 bull barrel w a comp and barrel weight for $65 through the want ads in the Washington Post.

Never gave me a minutes trouble.

Put it in the back of the safe when my kids got past the 22 pistol phase of their training and kinda forgot about it.

Got interested in suppressors and acquired a Bowers Paradigm can with a SIG Mosquito. Took forever for the Form 4 to be approved. The can is great, but the pistol is kind of a hunk of junk. Remembered the M106 in the back of the safe. Really did not want to cut the original barrel so looked in Brownell's and the do indeed carry high quality barrels including after market barrels made by LSP from Douglas barrel stock. Bought one and had it threaded. Put a Burris FastFire II on it. Came out GREAT!

The old ones are sometimes the best ones!

Quote Originally Posted by jcw1970 View Post
    Only complaint I have with High Standards is you can't shoot high velocity 22's through them and with the price of standard velocity 22's, I don't shoot them as much as I'd like.
    I've not heard that before. My Supermatic Tournament seems to eat them all day. I will grant that the standard velocity rounds seem to be a little more accurate, but not enough to stop me from using high vels.

The "old" High Standards (basically the early "fixed barrel" Model B's, Model A's, E's, GB's, HD Military's, etc.) were all designed for, and should be shot only with, standard velocity ammo.

The newer models (basically, any HS with a "removable barrel") are generally safe to shoot with high velocity ammo, but, like you, I have found standard velocity ammo to be far more accurate out of my victors, trophy's, and sport king.

I broke the take-down lever, in an HD Military, shooting Stingers through it back when they first came out. I'd hate to have to try finding one of those parts today.