Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapdoor bullet diameters

Trapdoor bullet diameters

Hi

Last year, I got a Springfield Trapdoor 1884.

I spent "some time" to clean it.

So here I am with that gun after cleaning...

I shooted with some .459 405 grains bullets...

WOW only KEYHOLES . . . . . . . . .

I slug the gun: WOW !!

- groove diameter: 0.467
    - bore diameter: 0.461

What would you suggest as mould diameters ?? I was thinking a a custom mould with some .468 diameter....

Gerald

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS have a couple of 468-480 gr moulds that would work

You are sure of those numbers? measuring a 3 groove slug isn't easy unless you have the correct V-anvil mic. You really can drop a .461 (or .4605) pin through the barrel?

The reason I ask is Trapdoors are usually quite consistent at .450 bore and .462 groove. If yours is that big you'll likely have to breech seat or muzzle load bullets to get it to work since you're not going to be able to chamber a cartridge with a bullet that big in it.

Boolit Master
    That's Martini Henry size!!

Mine works well with my Lee mold 405gr or 500gr cast bullets...both molds make bullets at plus or minus .459(I don't resize 'em)

In Remembrance

My 1884 TD shoots .462" as cast slugs quit nicely. I got the mold from a maker on this site, Richard Doughty.Robert

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Trapdoors will normally accept 0.462" diameter boolits. The real trick is to not use a harder alloy. Stick with a lead/tin alloy of about 25:1 and you won't have trouble with accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    In mine, I find bullet diameter makes modest differences in accuracy. Mine likes .459 best. However, it will keyhole all over the place with a 405 grain bullet of any sort. 500 to 530 grain straightens them right out.

should find out the twist rate of your barrel also as this will/should dictate what boolits it will most likely want. might also ensure that it has the origanal barrel on it./// sleeved??

the wolf book is a valuable read for the springfields also. mine is getting dogeared with searching for certain writings/thoughts of the writer.

.45/70 Bullets

If you use bullets cast of 30:1, lead:tin, or softer, and are 500 grains or heavier you will see a big difference in accuracy. The softer lead will bump up and obturate when kicked in the butt with a 70 grain charge of 2Fg.

405 grain boolits need to be hollow based to obturate to get any accuracy, especially when using the carbine load of 55 grains of 2Fg.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The groove on my 1872 is 0.454 and I usually shoot 405HB bullets cast at 1:30 shooting black powder. It's common for the Trapdoor groove diameters vary all over the place - reason the hollow base bullets shoot more accurately

Two weeks ago, after fiddling with the ladder sight for sighters, manged to knock down Rams at 500meters and one on a 1000yd target. Was using the 457124, 385gr bullet with 70grs of FFg cast at 1:30
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    The M1888 Springfield I have slugs at .450X.460. The Rapine 460-500 boolit, the Lyman 457125 or 457132 beagled to .461 with 30:1 lead, 65gr Schuetzen 2F and Bullshops NASA lube will shoot honest 2.5" groups all day if I lay off the coffee at the range. Get the Wolf book and follow the recipes.

Good luck with your new toy.

Charlie

Boolit Master
    speaking from esperince i have found the 84 trapdoors with the rod bayonet to have large bores i have had three of them over the years. the first one needed a .465 bullet cast soft and 500 gr weight. the second went to .467. the thrid come out to .461.

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys. I ran across this thread and have a question since I've been looking for a 73 springfield .45-70 carbine and have a 73 model uberti .45 revolver. I think the original long colt boolits had a recessed center like the rifle. Does anyone make a mold that will leave the hollow recess in it? There was a reason the gov put that in the boolit but it slips my mind right now as too why? Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

This might help........I don't know how to make it larger here. If someone does PM me your email and I'll email it so you can post larger?

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Hi

I thank you all for those answers.

So I made some measurements:

twits: 1 /22

bore diam: 0.461

groove diameter: 0.465

I will look to get a custom mould.

thank you

That still sounds like a mighty big bore diameter for a trapdoor...

Do you do any paper patching? Sounds like you could patch up normal 45-70 boolits and see how it does before investing in a custom mould.

my ratty bore trapdoor took a .465 GC bullet and linotype alloy to get it shooting.

George

It's not the groove diameter I question. It is the bore. Rifling only .002" deep? I don't think so. Either way it's easy to make .459" boolits be .465" with onionskin paper. Then it will likely shoot well.

Boolit Bub
    You can get the Lee hollowbase mould for not much dough and never look back, as I have....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    This might help........I don't know how to make it larger here. If someone does PM me your email and I'll email it so you can post larger?

Larry Gibson
    Right click on the image, open in new tab, then hold down the control key and hit the '+' key until its big enough to read.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.