Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: .45 Auto Rim

Boolit Bub

.45 Auto Rim

Looking through a Handloaders Digest (1970) I came across an article by A. F. Schott on .45AR. Some of the loads seemed quite stout compared to what one would find in a lawyered down manual. The gun was a S&W 1955 Target Model.

200gr cast @ 1200fps+
    230gr cast @ 1120fps+

What velocity could a reasonable person load 250gr cast to? My 45 is a 625-2 S&W. I've used some ACP + P loads, but these seem to be a lot hotter. This 5in gun carries much nicer than my 7.5in BH convertible. These would not be every day loads. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Anything on this topic by Dale53 is worth paying attention to.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you all. Just what I was looking for. Old geezer + computer = long learning curve. Must learn to use the search function. Reading the posts lets me know I am not alone in thinking the 625 in 45AR is one of S&Ws better ideas. Thanks again.

Tim

Boolit Master

Yeah, it is one of their better ideas - but if you want a .45 magnum of some sort get one designed for that purpose. I love mine and see no need to jack it up. I can grab my 629 for more power in the same size package.

Boolit Master

you are going to have very short brass life with that hot of a load, 45 AR brass is not that cheap
    you can load 30-06 with 36 grs of 2400 too but its a one time shot for the brass and you too

Boolit Bub
    I am not trying to make a 45 magnum out of a AR. I wanted to know what a reasonable velocity is with 250 or so grain cast. It seems that 900 is a reasonable answer, so the chrony comes out.

The loads mentioned in original post were in the article. I did not load or shoot these.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    tgator,

900 fps with a 250 is easy to do in the .45 AR and your 625. I've been loading at that level for several years in my 625 Mountain Gun (.45 ACP/AR) and it kills deer very well at that level. I do suggest you acquire some Starline .45 AR brass for your load development and use as it is very high quality and lasts forever.

Boolit Master

Yes, 900 or so with the right powder in a revolver for a SWC 260 gr bullet is a very reasonable figure. And that load will take down paper, bowling pins, two legged aggressors, and most non-dangerous game (within reasonable ranges) in North America without beating you or the gun up.

Since you're talking revolver, shot loads can be fun to mess with also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tgator View Post
    I am not trying to make a 45 magnum out of a AR. I wanted to know what a reasonable velocity is with 250 or so grain cast. It seems that 900 is a reasonable answer, so the chrony comes out.

The loads mentioned in original post were in the article. I did not load or shoot these.

Tim

Okay, you have a 625. What boolits are you considering? What powders? This will help some of us direct you to recipes that have worked in other ACP revolvers.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

10 gr of blue dot gets me over900fps out of my 625 with a 250gr cast stout load but the big smith handles it well. I have over1500 rds of that thru mine with no ;ill effects. Dirty load but very accurate

I have fired many thousand rounds of 45 AR ammo. I use good old Lyman 452423 (242 grain) Keith SWC over 7.5/Unique. Depending on the barrel length (4 to 6.5) this will turn in between 950 and 1,050 fps in Smith and Wesson DA revolvers. This load is plenty for deer and any other use in Texas. Probably not moose or brown bear medicine, but we don't have those critters in Texas, and I don't plan on going where the are.

I would not shoot these loads in Pre-War Colt or Smith and Wesson sixguns.

I have run loads hotter with 2400 powder, but found no advantage to doing so, except more pressure, muzzle blast and wear and tear on the shooter, pistol and brass.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I am shooting a 625 PD (the super light frame) and even with Miha 230 penta hp's, I dont think I would enjoy anything hotter than published +p loads. And I have used that load on a couple short range porkers (under 100 pounds) and lemme tell ya, it folds em quick. Could you elaborate on what you will be shooting these loads at or are they just a general purpose (little bit of everything) load?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

I'm A Honcho!
    I find these threads on the 45 AR case to be very interesting. Im most surprised to see that there is so much interest.

As to the hotter loads, It would seem that the longer one loaded the selected bullet out of the case, the more reasonable the pressure issues would be.