Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to pick ONE.......

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A couple years ago at rendezvous this question came up. Board member "The Deacon" looked at the questioner with a dumbfounded look on his face, and said, "Oh, I COULDN"T do THAT!"
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I did pick only one. 10" BFR in 460 S&W. one and only, and if I change my mind it'll be a sale or trade, cause in my house I really only want/care to have one.

Boolit Buddy
    Hands down .357 Mag DA revolver. 4 or 6 bbl. Does purtnear everything a gun needs to do, and does it reasonably well.

Boolit Master
    Y'all are thinking about this question the wrong way.

I'd grab the most sensible gun within reach and defend the rest of them to the death. The only questions that really matter are who's asking me to give up my guns and which gun is best suited to convincing that person(s) the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Boolit Buddy
    Saz: I like the way you think. As a matter of fact about 20 years ago [I] had a pistolsmith take my old model Super Blackhawk and cut the barrel back to 4 5/8 inches and do an action and trigger job on it. I have six or seven other handguns, but that is the one that still puts this big ole silly grin on my face every time I even just think about that gun.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Man that is a tough on but wait I have two hands do you mean one for each hand by chance?
    then the question is a touch more palatable but not much.......
    I have a lovely Colt 4 '357 mag and a beautiful Ruger SBH 44 mag
    so to pick one nah couldn't ...................ok compromise my Ruger Bisley flattop in 44 Special
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

big dale,
    I would LOVE to send mine to Bob Munden to get her worked over someday. That is one pistol that will NEVER leave my side.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one that elevated their heartrate a bit with this!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Would have to pick then just one sizer-luber? One press? Or just one mould??????

My choice would center around the Colt Single Action Army. No other firearms delivers as much powder and penetration in as light a package as the SA. My favorite mould is my four cavity 454190. But then again when something or someone is aggressing you to cause you harm how much your gun weighs isn’t very important. When you really need to hit something hard, use a SA revolver. Although my favorite handgun is the Colt SAA I carry a Colt 1911 .45 95% of the time, mostly because I live in town. My first and favorite handgun is my 4 ¾” Colt blued .44 Special SAA. I can shoot it better than any of my other Colt SAA’s including my 7 ½” SAA’s when shooting up close and fast, it is my best shooter because it has the best trigger. The 1911 is much faster up close and fast doesn’t have near the penetration of a SAA revolver nor the accuracy once you start trying to hit out past 100 yards downrange.

So I guess I can’t decide yet.

Boolit Master
    Probably my Smith 27-2, its shoots that good.

Unfortunately it would be very hard to give my grandfather's Colt Woodsman

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    A real thinker could make a good case for a .22 pistol in the one gun senario, especially depending on how long and if food procurement would be the biggest duty. If i know i'm gonna be in a gunfight (Which really who does??) I want to have my rifle anyways, and if it were that i had to pick one pistol it may be bad enough that i would just rely on my rifle for primary defense.
    Also a DA makes more sense as a self defence role, something in the works of a a .357, uses less powder and lead and ammo is common. But up here in the mountains you may rether have something a bit more powerful (Not the the .357 is by ANY means weak)

My personal choice is made easy, I am with saz, as i only own ONE handgun at the moment anyways, my 4 5/8" SBH, which goes everywhere with me. I have concealed it many times, under a shirt or jacket my 5' 6"X 145 frame hides it totally, and i have never wondered if a SWC .44 Special load would go through a winter jacket. I have hunted with it and taken deer, varmints, and had to put down stock with it. Each time it has the exact power level i need depending on my load selection, which is almost always a 240 boolit over 9.5 of Unique. I also have carry it working and playing in the mountains with 340 gr LBT WFN boolits for grizzlys with no worries. I am still young enough to think carrying it every day is a good idea and i don't mind the weight with a stiff belt and suspenders. The only area it is less than ideal is in town carry for SD, which i usually carry my mother's S&W mod 60 snub, but have carried it as well, and was carrying it the one of the two times in my life i ever thought i'd need to draw in town.
    A DA Smith might make a bit better all around gun but the top end loads aren't there. The only guns i'd even think about swapping for would be my first handgun, a Ruger Vaquero .45, which would be a toss up on power until the very top end, but i don't feel underguned with the .44 as it is, i just like the fixed sights for a mountain gun, or a 5.5" Redhawk in either .44 or .45.
    Last edited by 429421Cowboy; 06-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A couple years ago at rendezvous this question came up. Board member "The Deacon" looked at the questioner with a dumbfounded look on his face, and said, "Oh, I COULDN"T do THAT!"
    Well said!

The problem I have is I don't have a jack of all trades handgun. I can just see it now, dear, I need another handgun to fit the niche of, if I just had one handgun what would it be. The problem is she'd probably agree to the purchase, contingent on it being my only handgun

I would probably lean towards a DA 357 mag, not sure if a 6", or get a 6" and have it cut to 5".

Boolit Bub
    My 4" Speed Six out of all the guns I have would be the one. It is in like new condition, ammo easy to find, I know how to strip it down and fix or replace parts if I have to. Next would be my M &P .40.

Boolit Buddy
    Since I don't hunt with a handgun I'd have to say my 2.5" model 66-3. It could even be pressed to hunting duty in a pinch.

I used to always answer this question with my 6.5" 629 Classic but spending time shooting the 66 in IDPA has caused it to claim the number 1 slot by a hair.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Boolit Master
    Glock 22, I have a storm lake 40 and a 9mm conversion barrel so ammo is easy to find and make for it.

Boolit Master
    My choice is always a 2" .38 because I think defense is the most important purpose for a handgun. Obviously there are better fighting guns, but the always gun will be there. For everything else there are shotguns and rifles.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

Probalby something in a 4" adj sight 357. S&W of course.

Boolit Master
    Ruger Stainless Blackhawk .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel.

Boolit Master
    For the sake of conversation only, I can hunt anything I need to hunt with it and conceal it, .44 mag SBH 4 5/8"

Boolit Mold
    A four inch S&W Model 624 .44 Special. A natural with cast bullets and a handy packing size as well.

Boolit Master

I really want a Smith, two and a half inch L frame in 44 Special. Adjustable sights. Something like what they did some years back, but with the strength of a Charter Bulldog.

My Smith Shorty 45 isn't a bad choise either.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)