Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 11 Unusual Metals And Minerals We Rely On Every Day Read more: http://www.businessin

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

11 Unusual Metals And Minerals We Rely On Every Day Read more: http://www.businessin

This should be of interest to everyone on this board.

http://www.businessinsider.com/metal...es-2012-6?op=1

Copper is facing serious supply issues around the world at the moment. Morgan Stanley notes that the copper market recorded deficits (the amount of copper demanded in excess of the amount of copper produced) of 350 kilotons or more in both 2010 and 2011, and MS analysts say they "fully expect this dynamic to deliver two more years of deficits in 2012 and 2013." ...The U.S. Geological Survey's latest report on the lead industry shows that the biggest uses for lead are in batteries (specifically, car batteries) and ammunition, which is a distant second. Its low melting point relative to other metals makes it desirable in various casting applications (including casting ammo). In recent years, China has eclipsed the U.S. and Europe as the largest consumer of lead... Zinc is mainly used for galvanizing (rust-proofing) other metals. Like nickel, it is also used in alloys to create more durable metal products and is a primary component of brass and bronze. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, additional production from emerging economies like China, India, Mexico, and Russia is on the rise. Furthermore, the USGS explains that "demand for zinc generally follows industrial production or, more generally, global economic growth." … (Note that all three of these “base metals” are used in the manufacture of ammunition, hence play a role in its pricing.)

http://www.businessinsider.com/metal...es-2012-6?op=1
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

that was a good forecast but now the world market prices are starting to come down on all three metals.
    if the price of aluminum,copper,lead,steel,and zinc drop out.
    we are in big,big trouble.

I sold scrap this week, prices were down about 10 to 25% on everything I sold except the scrap electronics, gold and silver seem to be holding about the same.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Silver is probably the most valuable metal out there. Silver ore has a large component of- yep, galena (good old lead) generally.
    Non ferrous scrap is falling but not as fast as steel right now. Hoping to get some good scores of lead soon!
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Just in case you plan on melting and selling those old pre 1982 pennies you may want to read this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2006-1...ban-usat_x.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Could just melt Canadian coins.

Their nickle has more nickel in it than ours, so much so that it is magnetic; IIRC.
    I aim to misbehave.

Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by dominicfortune00 View Post
    Could just melt Canadian coins.

Their nickle has more nickel in it than ours, so much so that it is magnetic; IIRC.
    I was in Canada about a month ago. Picked up a dime off the street. When I grabbed it I tought it was a childs play money. It almost felt like it was plastic. That was the dime not the nickle. I was only there for a couple of days and avoided using cash the whole time so don't know about the rest.

Boolit Grand Master

Since all pennies now are only copper clad zinc, and the metal prices are falling, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Since all pennies now are only copper clad zinc, and the metal prices are falling, why bother?
    Because I have a bag containing about 30 to 35lbs of old ones.