Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would microwaving kill parasites in wild pig?

Would microwaving kill parasites in wild pig?

Would microwaving kill parasites in wild pig?
    Run for like 1 minute prior to cooking?

Boolit Grand Master

Microwaving is cooking and nothing more. That BS that they used to run about stuff being heated from the inside out is nonsense and is disproved every day when I heat up my lunch in the microwave at work. The outside edges are hot enough to burn my mouth while the inside is still cold.
    The only way to kill the parasites is to thoroughly cook the meat to above 145 degrees all the way through, period. (I usually go 180 just to be on the safe side)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Longwood
    When I was in the VA hospital last year, there was a fairly young guy there that was blinded in one eye by trichinosis from a domesticated pig they had spit cooked.
    Make sure the meat is completely cooked not just warmed up, like a restaurant beef steak.
    It will remind you of those "Good ol days" when the meat was lean but well cooked and much healthier and tastier but took a good set of teeth to eat an older animal.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd sure hate to bet on nuking the pig. Here are the answers.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichin...fact_sheet.htm
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Freeze it for a month and you can eat it raw if you want. (some dried sausage, like hard salami, is often raw and is eaten uncooked)

The microwave isn't going to do anything.

Boolit Master

Pork and chicken I prefer well cooked not all dried out but cooked all the way through. I worked with an individual that used to eat raw ground beef not me I grew up working on a farm and know just some of the things that animal ate, walked in, stood in and also most likely how it went through the butchering process it is not as nice as one would think.
    I do eat my beef med well done just the way I have always liked it nothing more.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    The only way to kill the parasites is to thoroughly cook the meat to above 145 degrees all the way through, period. (I usually go 180 just to be on the safe side)
    +1
    KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!
    or enough heat.......
    Last edited by just.don; 06-18-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: correcting a stupidity

Boolit Buddy
    Probably if you put in on high for 1 hour per pound of meat...

Boolit Master
    I'm very careful with poultry and extra careful with pork. I'm an avid meat smoker. Pork always goes to 180 for slicing and 190 to 195 for pulling. Low & slow with peach or hickory wood and its always tender and juicy.

The wolf, not me, the real wolf, gets all his meat raw but, I don't give him pork. Just beef, poultry, venison, and rabbit.

smokeywolf

Boolit Master

You can freeze it. Make sure it is completely frozen.
    Worms will not survive freezing, either in egg, or in pieces.

Boolit Master
    wild rabbit, all pork and bear should be cooked, done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Microwaving is cooking and nothing more. That BS that they used to run about stuff being heated from the inside out is nonsense and is disproved every day when I heat up my lunch in the microwave at work. The outside edges are hot enough to burn my mouth while the inside is still cold.
    Yes nothing like logice to disprove all the BS we have had shoved down our throats all our lives. Sir you are a master of the art of BS disproval well done

Boolit Master
    The wife and I usually cook whole quarters, or whole sides of ribs. With just the two of us eating on it most of the time we use the rest for other things like beans and such.

This said, we put it on the pit, over post oak and a tid bit of pecan or hickory, for about an hour and a half turning about every 15 minutes or so, more or less to sear it and let some of the smoke flavor the meat. Once it has a decent sear to it and is starting to get the charred edges, we pull it, wrap it in heavy duty foil with vegies surrounding it and toss it in a roasting pan and into the oven for 3-5 hours at 215 - 230 depending on just what size it is.

All of the trimmings we get that aren't big enough for the bean pot we grind into burger, or make up pan sausage out of. Any of that is well cooked when brought out later on for breakfast or supper.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

All you have to do is watch that tv show, monsters in side me once and you will cook you food the way its so posed to be cooked. I'm not into raw food but I also am not into over cooked meat. My dog doesn't seem to mind, she gets all the over cooked salmon and halibut I mess up. I cook my deer med rare. Dont use the microwave to cook just heat up leftovers mostly.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
    Freeze it for a month and you can eat it raw if you want. (some dried sausage, like hard salami, is often raw and is eaten uncooked)

The microwave isn't going to do anything.
    not often raw.... is raw in a sense. It's dry cured. It's literally fermented like beer using lactobacillus and preserved with salt and nitrates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

The meat thermometer is your friend....use it! Prevents under and overcooking. Seems most parasite reports are from captured pigs, probably kept in conditions that favor parasites.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Freezing will kill most parasites, I mean a hard freeze 0 degrees or less. Will not kill bacteria but will stop it from growing. Also, some cists from certain parasites may survive. Always cook tho an internal temp of 180 f for most wild game and poultry. 165 is the FDA minimum temp required for those critters.

By the way, I work for the Health Department.

Boolit Master

your not allowed to microwave the president

Boolit Master
    Freezing it solid is what I was told by the USDA inspectors that worked at my fathers meat processing plant. They told me that I should freeze all wild game solid and then cook it thoroughly to be in the safe side.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'll just use a thermometer.