Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMCD Products

View Poll Results: How do you store loaded ammo?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the original box!

5 6.33%
  • Plastic baby!

14 17.72%
  • Nitestand drawers!

0 0%
  • Keeps the lint company in my pockets!

0 0%
  • Freebie postal shipping boxes!

0 0%
  • My ole ladys shoe boxes!

0 0%
  • Good ole ammo cans!

49 62.03%
  • Other,and a explanation!

11 13.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to store ammo!

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Best way to store ammo!

Scored some ammo cans for $5.00 each from a recently retired WWII re-enactor, cheapest I've found on these,their usually $15.00 each! Cleaned, and coated with penetrant!!!!
    Never know what kind of deals you'll find on your local CL,until you start punching in idea's in the search function!Now to fill these with .223HB,and various other zombie calibers!!! PS: I'm going to layer 2 old dryer sheets together,put some white LG rice in the middle and bread tie it and throw in each can! It kept moisture outta Grandma's salt shaker,and that's good enough for me!! Keeps ole Al Gore happy too!!

Last edited by GT27; 05-31-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Master

i use the plastic food storage tub's like zip lock the 16oz ones hold about 100 44 magnums
    i use them to store my brass and lubed boolits too but i make them at work and
    get them free
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

Hard to beat a purpose specific method of ammo storage.

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

I recycle all the boxes and trays I can find at the shooting range for my specific caliber, reload ammo put in the boxes and store in the gun safe. But I would love to have about 4 of those milsurplus ammo cans to put it in. I have one 30MM ammo can that I store my lead ingots inside. Like to see someone try and pick that up to steal. My cast bullets I use plastic peanut butter jars...of course peanut removed... they make great cast bullet storage containers.
    WVHunter129
    Aim Small/Miss Small

Boolit Buddy
    Tried most things, but believe the plastic ammo specific containers work best for me.

I use the ammo cans, but i must admit that i also store my shotshells in them and have more ammo than i do cans especially since someone stole about ten of them from me! so in addition to the ammo cans i use just about anything else that seems to fit the bill from plastic boxes to paper boxes and five gallon buckets. BTW back when i bought all my ammo cans they only cost $1.95 each so i bought quite a few of them.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I pick up the boxes and plastic trays that get thrown away at the range.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Master

I also started using the plastic zip-loc style tubs. The local Dollar tree sells the knock-offs in packs of 3 for $1. Also, they sell black plastic buckets with handles that look just like mini 5-gallon buckets. Great for brass. I take one to the range to throw my spent rounds into.

Boolit Master
    Ammo cans for long term storage.

Plastic kitchen containers for weekend shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot mine up as fast as I can so I can reload more

Boolit Grand Master
    I store it in whatever I have on hand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shotshells go into ammo cans. Most loaded ammo is being transitioned into 50-round plastic boxes, from coffee cans and baby formula cans. Cast boolits are taking over the cans as time goes on.

Some of these baby formula powder cans date from the birth of my second daughter, who just gave us her first son 2 months ago. She's 29.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    for bulk production and general plinking ammo, I'm using ziplock freezer bags. This is usually placed in good ole' ammo cans for transport.

For the good stuff, special loads and defensive stuff, I use the MTM flip top cases. These are also placed in ammo cans for transport; however none of my ammo remains in ammo cans during storage - only for transport.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Midway & MTM plastic ammo box's for R&P

Because I have pull out drawers in the bed of my truck Shotshell ammo goes into SS box's except dove season then bulk into GI cans.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BoolitSchuuter View Post
    Hard to beat a purpose specific method of ammo storage.
    +1 on that
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Ammo cans store the bulk of the stash with five gallon buckets and a few MTM boxes for the leftovers .

Jack

Get a tare weight for the can and a rounds/lb with a little math.

That way, when you want to know about how many rounds you have in the can, you look at the label on the top and weigh the can on your postal scale.

An example:

This can (almost full) weighs 26 pounds, so I know i've got about 460 rounds in there.

(26-3.6)x20.

even if I have it in original boxes - they go in ammo can's much easier to transport.

I also found that the local goodwill has some fabric bags built well enough to transport
    ammo in - Diaper/formula bags! and cheap too.

Boolit Buddy
    Good zip lock bags per 100.then in to a 50 cal can.painted blue for 45 acp.red for 30-06 green for 9mm yellow for 40 cal and black for 357 mag red and yellow for 223 and the num. of rounds and what kind of boolits on the can.
    i try to keep one can per cal on hand all the time.but i never have old shells.i wonder why with grand sons around.but we do have a good time
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Get a tare weight for the can and a rounds/lb with a little math.

That way, when you want to know about how many rounds you have in the can, you look at the label on the top and weigh the can on your postal scale.

An example:

This can (almost full) weighs 26 pounds, so I know i've got about 460 rounds in there.

(26-3.6)x20.
    A variant of this method gets used to estimate inventory of castings. I weigh the coffee cans full of boolits, which varies when filled from 11#-13# (smaller boolits = smaller air spaces, I guess). Given that 7000 grains = 1#, and the cans weigh 3-4 oz, a ballpark figure can be arrived at easily.

The whole rationale here is to keep dust and grit OUT of the loaded ammo. Our desert is gorgeous, but gritty.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.