RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

View Poll Results: Bad Boolits, what to do with them?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • feed the fish

1 1.33%
  • dig a hole in the desert at night

0 0%
  • keep asking for a sane and legal disposal

2 2.67%
  • take them all apart, uggh

72 96.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bad boolits, throw them out?

Boolit Master

Just so you know, best way I've found to use an inertia bullet puller is to lay a rubber mallet on your bench, and hit the mallet with the inertia puller.

Really makes it go faster.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Master
    I smack the concrete floor with my hammer-style puller.
    One hit. Might break it some day. Had it since the '70s.

A few pounds of cartridges couldn't be all that many if they have
    lead boolits.
    I voted "pull 'em apart", but I'm a lead junky.

If someone catches you burying them in the desert or somewhere
    it might look a tad suspicious. Maybe bury 'em in your backyard,
    they will be safe, and become inert after a while.

What eats brass? Maybe soak 'em in a bucket of salt water, or vinegar.
    After a while they will be inert, or dissolved if you're lucky, and you'll have
    a pile of boolits.

soak bad cartridges before disposal

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    I smack the concrete floor with my hammer-style puller.
    One hit. Might break it some day. Had it since the '70s.

A few pounds of cartridges couldn't be all that many if they have
    lead boolits.
    I voted "pull 'em apart", but I'm a lead junky.

If someone catches you burying them in the desert or somewhere
    it might look a tad suspicious. Maybe bury 'em in your backyard,
    they will be safe, and become inert after a while.

What eats brass? Maybe soak 'em in a bucket of salt water, or vinegar.
    After a while they will be inert, or dissolved if you're lucky, and you'll have
    a pile of boolits.
    HI Ya, yes, I am not in favor of the night time desert one. I must be getting desperate. It's just that they piled up. And I had taken a bunch of unknowns from my indoor range too, thinking I wanted the lead out of the .45acp's. But it has gotten out of hand. Every batch I reload of 9mm lately produces at least one cracked or otherwise compromised brass. And if that isnt enough, I had too much Alox on a batch I cast so the wax wound up inside my redding seating die and before I knew it I had 50 seated too deeply from the wax accumilated.

Much obliged to all but I still dont have a easy way to dump these. Oh, a kerosene soak kills the primer, so I am told by a Master. developing....

Max

Boolit Master

Wink

I get the range drops / misfires from the range I use. Alot of steel cased stuff, bent 223's & 308's, ect. What I do is toss in a can marked for the caliber, when it gets full enough I'll pull them down on a rainy day.

The ones that I'm not going to use get dropped in a empty powder can with a mix of water & oil, powder & all. The usable ones I just dump the powder into the same can. I mark the cans with a BIG black X on the lid & lable so I know they are waste. You would be surprized how long it takes to full a 1 lb can this way.

If the primer has not been hit, I'll load them. If it's dimpled, I fire a couple to check & go from there. If in doubt about the primer, I replace them. I have gotten factory rounds that had no flash hole, sometimes you just have to pull them to see what you have.

I mainly use my rcbs collet puller, do also have an impact type. If pulling a t/c shaped bullet, I've found that running them through the sizing die helps. With cast of this type you can pull the boolits with your fingers or they will stick in the die. It also works with standard "ball" types, (9 m/m).
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master
    That's a good use of what would usually be a problem.
    Sizing die reduces the boolit diameter a little,
    brass rebounds a little, resulting in less "crimp".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    If you don't want the bother give them to a caster who is short on money. They will be happy for the lead and brass.
    BIG plus one.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by max it View Post
    HI Ya, yes, I am not in favor of the night time desert one. I must be getting desperate. It's just that they piled up. And I had taken a bunch of unknowns from my indoor range too, thinking I wanted the lead out of the .45acp's. But it has gotten out of hand. Every batch I reload of 9mm lately produces at least one cracked or otherwise compromised brass. And if that isnt enough, I had too much Alox on a batch I cast so the wax wound up inside my redding seating die and before I knew it I had 50 seated too deeply from the wax accumilated.

Much obliged to all but I still dont have a easy way to dump these. Oh, a kerosene soak kills the primer, so I am told by a Master. developing....

Max
    Where a 'bouts are you in the golden state? (Another term for dried up grass).... We do have quite a few members there and I would bet a few would be interested in helping you get rid of them. If I were home - in Redding, I know I would.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

try sizing the loaded ammo with the inside neck ball and primer pin removed .
    the neck outside sizer will squeese in compressing the boolit and the brass . the brass will spring back more than the lead making the boolit a little loose
    , then pull , comes out easier ,
    i found this out when i couldnt put a 38 in my revolver sized it and it just loosened the boolit
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

You could get a cam-lock bullet puller.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well since it hasn't been suggested I'll pick them up the next time I'm out road tripping.

Me ? I salvage everything . 06',to x57,to 308, to Savages, to rimless Colts , to 45 mags,to ACPs, to GAPs. 223s get to live on as 9mm mags,9x's 23/21/19/17. 303s get to be brass 410s,460 S&W,454/Colts shot shells @ cyl length then correct lenghts,and all the auto lenghts to GAP.

Segregate the J range p'up pull the rest down and rework or for example put it in a PIF for your county or the bordering counties.

Push comes to shove I'm sure someone getting started will take it all or a brass prostitute like myself.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Send them to me. I will dispose of them properly. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Bad Bob, good info, ill try it on the .38's
    Wilco, cam lock??
    Bullet Caster, can you come get it?

Much obliged to all,

Max

Boolit Master
    Salvage what you can...pop all primers...selll YELLOW brass...throw into sewage lagoon...or you towns LARGE LAGOON...for the whole city...

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Max,

Looks to me like you are in/around Corona - Riverside general area? Orange, Riverside, San Bernadino counties?

If ya don't do any good otherwise, take a look in these two two groups here:

California casters
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/group.php?groupid=9
    Left coast casters
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/group.php?groupid=24

If ya got the patience, I'd be willing to bet Harter66 or someone else WILL come by and see ya. Just how soon? Who knows.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master
    Naw, I live in TN and Kalifornia is too far a drive. Lol. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

recycle all components. cut up brass goes in the junk brass jar. bad bullets get remelted.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Actually my daughter lives in ElCentro and has promised to come see me next month. She'd be passing rt through.

Buckshot is close to you too . He's coming my way
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Cut a proper sized chunk of PVC pipe to put over the ram in a SS press. Put the case in the shell holder, raise the ram and use a cheap pair of dikes or wire strippers to grab the bullet and then lower the ram. You can even get hold of the SWC with the cutter part of the strippers.

Boolit Master

A coworker put them in a wood box and sent them to the incinerator at work no harm done it was still a stupid idea. They were old military cartridges (WWI) that he was worried would not shoot.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Harter,Let me know when, this gives me hope and I continue to pick up odd cartridges at the outdoor shoots.
    regards,

Max