Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: just found out

According to this:

Definition of "prohibited possessor" in AZ.

Who has been convicted of a felony involving violence or possession and use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument and whose civil rights have not been restored.
    He should be OK if his felony was drug related (non violent).

Boolit Master

I do not know the rules were you are but in 2006 I discovered a real lowlife shift supervisor was a sex offender. We had multiple complaints against him for his bad acts and temper all to no avail . Come to find out there were several laws broken by the company by hiring him and giving him access to the computer and all our personal information. He was gone the next day and no one missed him come to find out there were a dozen sex harassment complaints active against him at the time. Oh and was not minor he was convicted of second degree sexual misconduct with a 12 year old girl apparently his daughters friend. Your case may be completely different just do nothing wrong yourself and treat him as he deserves to be treated. Might find out if he reported felony status when he hired in if it matters most felons don't and lying on employment application is cause for termination. (don't get into trouble doing it )
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    my work partner is a convicted felon
    I am sure the upper management is aware of this....
    really unsure how to act towards him
    its a sexual offense and has a lifetime gps on him
    How did you find out? Rumor mill or the horses mouth? Sometimes a person is maligned by an enemy and never knows it. My ex wife said all kinds of untrue things. Luckily for me, the maid of honor from our wedding knew it was all BS and told her so. You never know who your friends are.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    If his debt is paid, it's paid.

If it's not, it's not.

It's one way or the other. It's not both.

I agree with the above and it leads me to one of the hardest things there is to follow,
    Matthew 7:1, Judge not, that ye be not judged.
    I really do try to let someone's past alone but its human nature to wonder what or why.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Before you do anything, you might want to ascertain the facts. Criminal convictions are public record. The criminal charge itself will tell you 90% of the story. FWIW, I've hired a few felons, one of whom spent 5 years in the fed pen. All I hired have worked out.

In the stricter sense, I believe how you act and treat him in the workplace shouldn't be dictated by anything other than professionalism. If you're anything like me you don't go to work every day to meet new people or socialize, you're there to perform a service for which you're remunerated.
    It's nice if everyone gets along and enjoys mutual respect, but in my experience it is pretty rare.

Side note with regards to sex offenders. In many instances the conviction charge and original charge vary greatly. Pedophiles often get shockingly reduced plea bargains because young children don't make good witnesses, parents don't want to put them on the stand or worst of all, they're too young testify or speak. Perusal of the sex offender registry will demonstrate how little they're punished for such aggregious offenses.

Serpents among us is a parental education tool written by a cop
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    EDIT: Just read the law and apparently they aren't allowed to "possess" a gun. I guess that means he can't go shooting?
    No, it means he can't go shooting legally in the state of Washington. I don't know about other states, but I know there is at least one, Alaska, that will not restrict his gun rights in any way.

Here are the viewpoints I've run into:

• His debt is paid, and like every other citizen, he should be allowed to defend himself and his family.
    • He's a convicted felon, and we don't let felons have guns.
    • All rights, all people, all the time.
    • His debt is either paid, in which case all his rights should be restored, or it is not paid, in which case he should still be locked up.
    • The State should not be allowed to take weapons from anyone. Cold, dead fingers, and other hyperbole.
    • Well, except in this case.
    • A lot of people believe that "god given rights" were only given to a select few, namely citizens who meet certain criteria, like not being felons.
    • There is a lot of debate on what the criteria should be, and who should decide what it is and enforce it.

I note that many of these viewpoints contradict each other, and I note that many "hard core" gun rights advocates get a little soft around the edges when it comes down to cases. This is especially true in the case of illegal immigrants.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 05-17-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife is a CO and alot of the time she dosent even want to know why they are in the clink. As long as they are respectful to her she shows the same back.

Love Life
    I've worked with several felons over the years. They did their time and went on to serve. People screw up. What they do after they screw up can be just as important as how they screwed up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I've worked with several felons over the years. They did their time and went on to serve. People screw up. What they do after they screw up can be just as important as how they screwed up.
    You are exactly right there Love Life.
    Lots of people make mistakes, and bounce back and become a viable member of society. but theres also some mistakes, that people just have a hard time letting go and will hold it against a person, for example a pedophile.

White Eagle, I'm sure your work knows about his conviction.
    Your line of work, the employer probably knows more about you than you know about yourself.
    You can bet your last dollar, if that'd been anything other than what it was, he wouldn't be working there with you

White Eagle like others said he paid his debt. That said I always have a bit of caution
    towards folks. If you have some doubts or curiosity you can check this website, it is how I found a known molester on my road,so I had my grandkids stay clear. Hell I even went to school with him 30 some years ago and did not know of it. It is good to know of the elements around you good or bad. To err on the side of caution.

http://www.megans-law.net/

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks fellas
    very helpful
    I guess its just the stigma of felon that is making me think twice
    and seeing his mug on the National Sex Reg.
    all this intell came from him directly so he wants me to know but man I don't need any more
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

I judge people by how they treat me. NOT by the opinions of others and NOT by something that happened in the past. For the most part you can figure in a couple hours with a man if hes someone you want to spend time with or if hes trouble. So bottom line is that if you didnt get that feeling allready hes probably a decent guy that made a big mistake in his past.

Banned
    I don't judge anyone by how they treat me.

I judge them by how they treat the waitress.

Over half the folks I know are ex-felons, non with sex beefs.

They are better people than anyone I can name in Washington DC, cept Ron and Ran Paul.

Id share a foxhole with any of them. More than I can say for most of the kids I know under 30.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.familywatchdog.us/ Search by name, you'll know for sure if he's a chomo.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Over half the folks I know are ex-felons, non with sex beefs.

They are better people than anyone I can name in Washington DC, cept Ron and Ran Paul.

Id share a foxhole with any of them. More than I can say for most of the kids I know under 30.
    Yep...ex-cons...salt of the earth...cream of the crop.

Boolit Master
    here in maine it is kind of hard to hire a felon in a lot of jobs, I am a retired locksmith, no felons in that job, also in most of the trades you have to have a background check to get a lic. in a lot of jobs, I thnk there should be a background check. I worked for a realestate maint. company, no background check there,access to peoples apts and homes. I have known a few felons, some were good guys, and a few should still be in lockup. I guess it all depends on the person.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    I worked with a guy for many years that was a convicted felon, killed a man in New Orleans shortly after returning home from his 3rd tour as a Marine in viet nam. He did a little over 20 years, came out with a new trade, one of the finest machinists in my shop and the only man in my shop that I invited to my wedding and to be brutally honest, he was the only man in my shop that was worth a darn, ex felon or not. He served his time. The man you know served his time, that should be enough.
    If a man serves his time and emerges from prison to become a productive member of society then so be it. One of my best friends is an ex felon. BUT! Sex offenders are a different breed and need to be treated accordingly. They are manipulators of the highest order. There is no "fixing" them and they will re offend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    My next door neighbor is a convicted felon and he's one of the nicest guys I know.

I've taken him shooting too. Nothing preventing a felon from shooting a gun, they just aren't allowed to own one.

EDIT: Just read the law and apparently they aren't allowed to "possess" a gun. I guess that means he can't go shooting?
    You might want to reconsider this course of action. Merely possessing ammunition, let alone a firearm, is a felony for a convicted felon. If his rights have been restored then that's a different story but be careful of this. You could be caught up too for allowing a known felon to possess firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    My wife is a CO and alot of the time she dosent even want to know why they are in the clink. As long as they are respectful to her she shows the same back.
    I adopted this theory very early in my career. When I first started it was cool to read files and see what guys were locked up for. That is until you get to the sex offenders. They are some of the most heinous, manipulative, vile, evil creatures walking this earth. I found that reading their files clouded my judgement so I quit that practice years ago.

Sorry for the rant, but people have no clue how awful these creatures are and how many of them are walking among you. Working in a prison for nearly 23 years has a way of opening your eyes and making you very aware of your surroundings and the evil that walks amongst us.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen a registered sex offender who didn't claim that his offense involved dating a girl 6mo. or so younger than him. Much more palatable story than the usual truth. I spent 25 years in law enforcement, four and a half years as a detective handling sexual offenses. During that time I never saw a felony conviction for a boyfriend who was dating and engaged in consensual sex with an underage girl even remotely similar in age. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, only that I never saw it happen. Those cases are just not handled that way. (by the way Michigan's age of consent is 16).

Pedophiles do not "do their time and reform", period. Telling a pedophile that he can't have sex with a child is like telling you that you can't have relations with your wife. The recidivism rate is astronomical and the only reason it isn't 100% is because we don't catch them all the time.

Check out why the man is on the sex offender registry. Don't necessarily believe the story he tells.

That said, if you must work with him treat him fairly, but be careful. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Boolit Master
    +1 Jailer and Rick Hodges! Sex offenders that target children should be put down like a mad dog!
    R.D.M.