Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Marlin Followed Me Home!

Boolit Grand Master

Another Marlin Followed Me Home!

Stopped by Cabelas a little while ago, there's some small item of reloading or cleaning equipment I was needing and I happened to be in the neighborhood so I dropped on in. Couldn't recall the exact item but figured I would after wandering the aisles for a few moments. Dropped by the used rifle rack and couldn't help but notice a nice, clean 336CS in 30-30 and recalled that I had been looking for a nice clean 30-30 that I could mount a scope on, this little darling would fill the bill nicely. I can't stand see-thru mounts and I'm not a fan of 3X9 scopes on leverguns but this was a very clean rifle with some very interesting wood in the forend. There was another very similar rifle (likely from the same collection, according to their code) but it wasn't as clean. I made an offer and the counter was acceptable ($375) so now I'm the proud owner of another Marlin!
    Never did figure out what I was needing, I did pick up a fresh package of field-dressing gloves on the outside chance that it was the item that made this trip necessary.
    Is the 311-041 group buy still open?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg  
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    very nice wood.

Boolit Master
    A good price/deal by the looks of it. Good looking wood on the forearm.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, not going to admit how many rifles I've bought because of the wood.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Really nice wood for a Marlin. Great find.

Thats purdy
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

Ya just can't have to many of the durn things!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I'd been sorely tempted myself!

Boolit Grand Master

Bore's clean, innards are clean & lubed, *** scope fell off, surface rust scrubbed off, wood's wiped down with moose milk and she already looks like a keeper.
    Anybody know if the four-digit number engraved on the bottom of the bolt is part of the serial number?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 04-16-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: pic

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    Ya just can't have to many of the durn things!
    1Shirt!
    I'm not so sure, will do my best to test that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Bore's clean, innards are clean & lubed, *** scope fell off, surface rust scrubbed off, wood's wiped down with moose milk and she already looks like a keeper.
    Anybody know if the four-digit number engraved on the bottom of the bolt is part of the serial number?
    Tex,
    Should be the last 4#'s of the serial number so any factory fitting is matched to the receiver. Guessing here that fitting is done before bluing.
    Cheers,
    R*2
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    Tex,
    Should be the last 4#'s of the serial number so any factory fitting is matched to the receiver. Guessing here that fitting is done before bluing.
    Cheers,
    R*2

That's what I was afraid of. They don't match, wonder if that other Marlin is still there? There was another 336 very likely from the same collection (same date, same see-thru mounts) on the next rack.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. They don't match, wonder if that other Marlin is still there? There was another 336 very likely from the same collection (same date, same see-thru mounts) on the next rack.
    Tex,
    Don't sweat it too much, parts on Marlins are pretty much interchangeable, it's a factory production rifle, and they kept
    tolerances on parts over the years tight. I've got rifles 50yrs apart that you can swap stuff in and out of. Bought barrels, bolts, etc that if they do need some tweaking, it's minor. If your gun is working, and that round bolt is straightforward, you' ve got no worries. On the 336's I've found that calibers will exchange, eg. a 35Rem bolt will go into a 30-30, the only discernible difference is the bolt face. Can you say 308Win?
    Or 356 Win with some rechambering of a 35Rem and swap the bolt to accomadate that rim, which is the same size as the 30-30, 32 Special, 38-55, 32-40, 444,,,,, gettin' the idea?
    The 45/70 has that bigger cutout for the cartridge and rim size, and a bulge in the magazine tube for that big nose boolit, but it's all the same receiver. Levers from gun to gun sometimes need a little fitting, but some fine files, and a gently gently approach you can get Marlins to do all kinds of trick. {:o)
    Cheers,
    R*2

A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, was hoping that was the case. Seems smooth enough, the other one was the same model but 10-12 yrs older, IIRC.

Boolit Grand Master

Realized at lunch today that it took me four months to break the first New Year's resolution I've made in years. This ol' girl was worth it....kinda suprised it took four months!

Boolit Grand Master

Range Report

Took the old girl to the range yesterday, Redfield scope I ordered for her was in, I even had some assorted RP factory rounds waiting to be converted to once-fired brass. Figgered there was but one thing to do with this handsome old girl on a pretty afternoon.
    Going to be awhile before the GB 311041 moulds to arrive but at least I know the old girl's a keeper!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails birdsngun 003.jpg  

# on the bolt is not part of the SN but has something to do with HS and fitting to chamber. The RD works good in them too.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that a JM stamped gun or REP?

Also, the first two digits of the s/n will tell you the date of manufacture. Just subtract them from 100. Say it's got 03xxxx. That'd be a 1997 made rifle. 97xxx would be 2003 etc.

Older guns had letters and some started with the actual year like 69xxx is a 1969 gun but most of the Marlins are pretty easy to date.

Then again, you probably know all that.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a JM gun, SN is 10004XXX so the math is pretty easy. May go ahead and get the RD mould, sure like his .323-170, .359-190, .460-350. One can't have too many quality moulds, I guess.

Boolit Master
    Where do you get in this line where they follow you home? hmm......
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton