Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Chevy Silverado - Problem, too reliable

Boolit Master

2000 Chevy Silverado - Problem, too reliable

My truck is twelve years old with well over 200k on the odometer and the problem is that it just keeps running. I mean, at some point a guy needs a new truck, but with this one, who knows when that will be? Darn it, I'm kinda getting attached to it. Anyone else have this problem?
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Mold
    Love my 2000 chevy, just one issue the frame cracked both sides ahead of front spring shackles(rusted out) I get to go shopping!!maybe the new Ford v6 ecoboost

Banned

i had a 98 k-1500 3 door with 195,000 on it, when i traded it in for my mustang.
    i got it with 110k on it and replaced the front brakes,the inside door handle,the alternator,spark plugs.
    and the radiator [which i cracked while driving it someplace it didn't need to be]
    i miss that truck.
    i have been looking for something similar to trade the jeep in on.

Boolit Buddy
    Get ready to run midgrade or high test. Father-in-law got a ford ecopoop. Has had it back to dealer over five time for various engine problems. His must have been built on a friday
    Quote Originally Posted by cast405 View Post
    Love my 2000 chevy, just one issue the frame cracked both sides ahead of front spring shackles(rusted out) I get to go shopping!!maybe the new Ford v6 ecoboost

Boolit Master

Bought a brand spanking new 1970 C-10 back in November of 1969. Must be a pup as it only has 186,000 on it. Did have to go through the motor about 10,000 miles ago. Just don't get quality anymore.
    Oh yes. it's parked out back, needs a bath but it starts with the first bump of the starter.

Facta non verba

Boolit Master

I had a 1976 Chevy C20 like that. Wife finally talked me into getting rid of it in 2000 because the floorboards were rusted completely through. (it still ran great, had a strong transmission, and good 10 ply tires.) I have no idea how many miles it had because the odometer didn't work.

I still miss that truck. I like my 2001 Chevy half-ton, but it doesn't have the character of that old one.

I would hate to have to buy 9.50R16.5LT tires now. They were getting hard to find 15 years ago.

Banned

Yep, got a 2K silverado with 164,000 on the ticker, had to replace the AC cycling switch, plugs, wires, battery, belts, flush the coolant, trans, diff, do the rear brakes, park brake shoes, and about five front hub-bearings, two sets of tires, air filters, gas, oil/filters, and wiper blades. Pretty sure that's about it, it's been a good truck even if it's made out of recycled beer cans. Funny, I haven't had to replace the plastic intake and gaskets, water pump, alternator, fuel pump, radiator, idler arm, or either belt tensioner yet, and those are the "pattern failures" for this model. Knock on wood.

Gear

Banned

that old 5.7 was a great motor. My buddys old truck went 300000 before the freeze plug on the block actually rusted out. The rest of the truck was so rusty he figured it was time to put it to rest. STill only used about a quart of oil ever 3000. My 06 used that much new! I wish they wouldnt have changed to the 5.3. its not as good of a motor and although it puts out more horsepower it puts out less torque and in a pickup torque is what you want.

My 1987 Mercedes 300d diesel has 342,000 on it, is my daily driver, and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I have owned it since 110,000 miles, and have kept it up perfectly. I have all the service records and keep a service log in the glove box.
    I am fanatical about oil changes (the key to keeping an engine alive) and I start having an anxiety attack when it gets to be 3001 miles on the oil and it needs to be changed.
    I have been driving Mercedes diesels for 30 years and get an average 400,000 out of each one, and the bodies go away before the drive train does.
    Great cars those MB diesels.
    In fact, my license plates are DZLFUEL.

Boolit Master
    Gotta 1995 Chev 1500 4wd 350 v8 that's got well over 300,000 miles on it. Runs great, rides down the road so smooth that I have to use the cruise control or really keep an eye on the speedo to keep within the speed limits. Don't use it too much these days 'cause of the gas prices, but when I need to use my larger trailer it's pull out the v8 time.

Right now it needs an exhaust manifold 'cause I foolishly let a local garage do plugs and wires and they got the wires switched. When I drove it away it wasn't running as well as it was when it went in, then, about a half mile from the shop I got a huge backfire. Drove it back and mechanic switched the wires back, but damage was already done. A couple of weeks later took it in for inspection, found the six month old exhaust system with a blown out seam in the muffler and a cracked exhaust manifold. Of course, the local garage said they were not responsible for the damage, so I got a very expensive lesson on doing my own work. Replaced the muffler but have as yet not gotten the energy to tackle the exhaust manifold.

Will have to get it fixed soon, as I got a bunch of boys bugging me to go riding and will need to haul the trailer to the motocross track.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Banned

just drive it into a tree once in a while, that will fix it

or better yet, let your wife drive it

Boolit Master
    Got a '89 Ford F250 and I keep saying I am going to get another, but one just like it equipment wise is $40,000 +. It always starts never gives any trouble and will work with the best of them and I am not afraid to get a scratch on it. O- well I didn,t need a new one anyhow.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    Get ready to run midgrade or high test. Father-in-law got a ford ecopoop. Has had it back to dealer over five time for various engine problems. His must have been built on a friday
    There is something to the Friday thing I work for a manufacture and attendance on Friday and Monday stinks try to get one built on a Tuesday or Wednesday

Boolit Master
    I just junked my 1993 2500 HD plow truck. 300,000 on the drive train, but only 30,000 on the motor. 16 years of plowing without letting me down, but the rust eventually ate it. I was surprised no one wanted the low mileage 5.7, but apparently that throttle body fuel injection is not compatible with much of anything newer.

Banned
    I had the same problem with a '69. I ended up finally trading it in on my 2002.

You have a while to go.

People who like to buy new trucks buy Fords.

Boolit Master

Identical problem! I have a 2000 Silverado. Bought it used in 2001. Never had a single thing break. Still has the original brakes and clutch. Unreal- I might just have drive it til the wheels fall off.

Boolit Master

My 1994 Chev full sized beauville van has 200,000 miles on it and can run for 3000 miles before the oil starts to get dark.
    My kids 2006 Chev Safari van turned into a money pit for electrical, body, and door issues. within months of going off warranty. Great mileage, great power, but the body work, fit and finish, and noise dampening was extremely poor.
    Oh and the rear AC lines cost $3000 to replace with factory.
    The Side door hinges replacement cost was $3800. They only last about 3 years even with constant lubrication. Why would Chev weld the door hinges to the door and only sell the hinges complete with door from the dealer?

BTW: I don't think you can drive a chev until the wheels fall off so long as you service them and do average maintance as needed. The only way the wheels would fall off is if you did not tighten the lug nuts.
    BTW: I have had a dodge wheel issue while still on warranty. The passenger front wheel bearing did not get lubed at the factory. About 14,000 miles the bearing piled up and the heat welded the castle nut to the spindle.

Boolit Master

Iran my old 1984 Chevy pu till it had a tad over 400,000 on it. By that time the engine (6.2 desiel) it was getting pretty rusty and was leaking oil. I had an accident with it and decided to replace the ole girl so I upgraded to a 1986 that now has only 96k on it, I'm good for another 10 years!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I've got an 05 Silverado with 150,000 on it. I've put front break pads on once, water pump gaskets and a set of shocks a few sets of windshield wipers. It's got dual exhust and a K&N cold air intake. Still runs and rides great. It's hard to beat a Chevy truck.
    Mark

Boolit Master

"People who like to buy new trucks buy Fords."

My last Ford had 349,000 on it. Never did anything to the engine. Just changed the fluids regularly. My current Ford had 243,000 on it. And it still runs fine.