Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Two more knives finished

Two more knives finished

The blanks were made by a custom knife maker in Texas.
    The deal was I finish both, keep the D2 for doing the 440c.
    They were in the raw meaning that grind marks were still visible and no edge formed.
    I'm guessing the D2 steel blank took 40 hours to hand polish before buffing. It is some really hard steel. You can't file or use stones to sharpen it unless they are diamond coated.
    I wanted to try something other than wood for scales (grips) so I used black canvas micarta.
    The grips are not sealed. Micarta has a peculiarity of being more tactile when wet, providing an even better grip if you don't seal it.
    The pins are stainless steel.
    My focus on these two knives was more on function and durability than looks.
    The largest one in front is D2 steel, the smaller is 440c stainless.

Boolit Buddy

Look pretty good to me.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pretty cool. I saw somewhere on the web that a guy makes his own micarta, from layers of Levi's with epoxy, clamping it all together to cure before using.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    What is your harden and temper process with the D2?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

Waksupi: typically D2 is hardened at 1950F, and then tempered twice at 1000F which yeilds a blade at about 62 Rc.

They are very hard to sharpen, but when actually at a shaving edge they stay like that for a long time.

My first knife was made from 154CM which is very similar to D2 it was sharpened on the grinder using a 1200 grit film belt. It has been sharpened exactly once! in 1984!

I once spent 3 hours on a set of Crock sticks trying to sharpen a similar knife. I only did that once too!

I just had a shaft made of 440C hardened last Friday. It was pulled back to 56 Rc. The tensile strength of this material at this level is 313,000 PSI! That's alot!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

WOW! Those are two nice looking blades!
    Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master
    Very fine work, indeed. Congrats

Thanks for the complements gentlemen.
    The blades and tempering were not done by me so I have no idea of the precess used.
    Randy, if the metal is anything like what you described I should be able to skin a few hogs before I have to sharpen it again. I've also read some post where 154CM makes a great knife blade.
    The person I got these from did leather work for the knife maker.
    These were rejects, imperfections in the jibbing and not up to par for this maker to put his name on them http://halfrichknives.com/gallery.htm