MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Buckshot and slugs

Boolit Master

Buckshot and slugs

I have reloaded pistol and rifles for years. I have look into reloading shotgun shells of and on for sometime now. I always get overwhelmed and give up. Is loading shotgun shells really so picky (certain hulls, primer, wads, cards, cushions, ect..)

I would like to load 2 3/4" 12 gauge 00 buckshot and 1 oz slugs that I cast in lee molds. I would like to buy pre primed hulls(this seems most cost effective considering no hazmat fees for the primers). I have found pre primed hulls from fiocchi and cheddite. I would like to load with alliant unique (I already have a lot on hand and won’t be loading many shotgun shells).

Would any one care to sugest a shopping list that would keep it simple?

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Turmech-

I concentrate on the weight of the payload when determining which powder to use. I really never had a problem mixing components, but I don't hotrod my loads either. The only thing I encounter is sometimes the stack up is either too short or too tall to allow for a proper crimp. Too short is easy, I just install a spacer to bring the shot level up to the start of the crimp. Too tall, then I try a different wad. In my estimation the all the wad types are merely a product of trying get the stack up correct for easy crimping. Unique is a great powder for 1-1/8 - 1-1/4" loads in the fiocchi hull. Might be a little slow for a 1 oz load. I don't recommend powder charges, but if you go to Alliant's website they will give you a charge weight for a given shot weight. I find the most versatility with WAA12 and WAA12F114 in the configurations that I load.

I hope I didn't muddy the waters too much here.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Banned
    Hello Turmech, have fun reading:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=139560
    for Fiocchi primed hull go to Ballistic Products. I always buy clear hull, easy to identify the loads.

put a nitro card in wad and cut the petals down like in the picture

Wow, that was hard work and now I'm tired and need to go to sleep!
    Hoping it helps.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabots!
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-03-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    My main confusions come I guess from the wad. I was initially thinking WAA12 but it looks like most of the data for shot and the data calles for other componets to be used with them ( I assume to make up shell lenght for crimp). The data for the lee slugs calls for them so it would be nice to use them.

I see alot of data with Versalite wads and windjammer wads by them self. can any one recomend them? or something elese? Can slugs be loaded with the same load data as shot? or loaded reduced say 10%? I have read information for and against this.

Boolit Grand Master
    Make sure the wad used does not have internal ribs. This causes problems. If it has a smooth interior, it is a slug candidate.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    VDO's picture of the various Federal wads tells much of the story. The 12FS0 is the same length overall as the 12FS3 and 12FS4, but the difference is in the capacity of the shotcups. I've used RP12s(have ribs in the cup) AA12F114 and AA12R in addition to all of the Federals pictured.

The RP12 has a very short cushion section, so allows for bulkier powder charges and heavy shot loads. The ribs inside make it a poor choice for slugs or roundball loads.

I like the Federal 12S0, 12S3, and 12S4 because of their strong cushion. I use these under my various roundball loads. The 12C1 is only good for shotloads, IMO. They tend to collapse and tear under Lee slugs even with a .125" nitro card inside.

Other components to consider are BPI gas seals, .125" or .17" nitro cards, and 1/8" or 1/4" felt wads. These can be used in combination to for wad columns and such. I've also made shotcups from heavy paper and thin carboard for various applications.

Generally, fine shot loads seem to make more pressure than the same weight, single roundball load. Get a Lyman shotshell manual and take a look at the lead shot loads and buckshot and slug loads of the same weight. Compare the powder charges in particular, but make sure you're looking at the same cases with same type of crimp when you compare.

Banned
    Hello Turmech, looking for exitement, well try my Blazing Buck & Slug load!

choose powders that do not occupy much hull space, like HS-6, Universal Clays, WSF, Longshot, H.Clays, Sr7625 and use 1 3/4 Oz shot loads for Lee 7/8 Oz slug combo!
    If you plan to use the Lyman 525 slug instead then go with 2 Oz shot loads!

My load is 28 gr of Longshot in a Fiocchi 3 inch hull with Lee Drive key 7/8 oz slug and 6 pellets of OOO buck. You can get rid of the .125-16 gauge nitro from the Fed 12S0 wad as I have already re-enforced the base with a .170 darker nitro card!

This is a deadly load but from a smooth bore 12 gauge out to 50-60 yards from a cyl bore, if used in a rifled barrel then the buckshot will give a donut spread, that you don't want, or perhaps you do at a even shorter range for Mr Hog, say 20 to 30 yards!
    If you were to change X12X to Powder Cup and a .125-20 ga nitro then maybe you could fit it in an Fiocchi 2 3/4 hull.

First of all cast buckshot of wheel weight and quench them in water for hardness, if you want to add buffer you can gladly do so, I would love to try a few drops of wax over buckshot to form a buckshot cluster to extend the range to 50 to 60 yards!

Caution do not pour hot wax on the buckshot, instead drop by drop from a candle for safety!

Mr. Hog have not yet reached New Jersey, I would love to try this load on a hog, say 20 to 30 yards range from an imp. cyl choke.
    Time to blow up milk containers and let the fun begin!
    I have been working on other projects, be on the look out!
    Please use caution, for your safety comes first!
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    VdoMemorie-Blazing Sabots!
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed people mentioning the WAA12F114 and WAA12R wads. I haven't purchased these in the last 2 years but I've been told that Winchester does not make these anymore. If they are not manufactured what wad does Winchester now use in their place and what other substitutes are there.

Boolit Master
    Claybuster makes a good equivalent in both of those wads.. They are nearly the same designation.

Boolit Master

I'm nearly in the same boat as the OP, I just casted some .311 round balls and have WAA12 wads and Unique on hand. 9 pellets stack up inside the wad but the combined weight is only 393 grs which is quite short of 492 grs for 1 1/8 oz if my math is right. (each pellet is about 43.6 grs) Anyone have a 1 oz load for Unique (437 grs) Not sure if I can use Unique.

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 04-19-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    I'm nearly in the same boat as the OP, I just casted some .311 round balls and have WAA12 wads and Unique on hand. 9 pellets stack up inside the wad but the combined weight is only 393 grs which is quite short of 492 grs for 1 1/8 oz if my math is right. (each pellet is about 43.6 grs) Anyone have a 1 oz load for Unique (437 grs) Not sure if I can use Unique.

CD
    I loaded those before i bought a buckshot mold. When loading only nine pellets i had to use red dot and green dot. Unique was just too slow, but you can always remove the petals from the wad and stack in three more pellets if you want to use unique which is what i did.

Boolit Master

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Boolit Buddy
    Can Claybuster wads be used with the old winchester load data?

Boolit Master

I just loaded up some Blue Duster/WAA12 wads, 22.5 grs Unique and some 9 or 10 .311 round balls. Also tried some .375 round balls with 6 balls behind the same load (had to cut pedals off wad). Worked fine.

.311 and .375 round balls

9 and 10 pellet 0 buck .311

0000 buck .375

Shotgun was a Remington 870 18" cyl bore

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 07-30-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber