Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Coeffecient of a ramrod?

Boolit Master
    I've never done it, but a hunting buddy of my dads did. It spun thru the air sideways making a "wik wik wik" noise. The deer that the ramrod flew over was not too happy with the sound either. Lol

Boolit Master
    My hunting partner sent the aluminum Omega rod downrange. He had no idea what happened. He was firing from the bench, the gun went off and reared back and broke his nose. He had no idea what had happened or why it kicked so damn hard. He couldn't see where the bullet hit through the scope but the target was leaning to the left. He went to reload and couldn't find his ramrod.

We never did find the darn thing, it had cut one leg of the target stand in two on its way to oblivion.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, I have done that too!

Boolit Master

I use a metal detector to find my arrows.I have seen sections of cleaning rods and blanks fired from an M16 to kill coons.So it could have flown a pretty good distance.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

The title said it all! I was already laughing when I clicked on the thread!
    Don't sweat it buddy, stuff happens. The good thing is that you can still buy the fittings and the rod from many different sources. I'm glad your OK and the gun survived.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

We had an old guy in our club one time (yea about my age) who would always get to talking and would shoot his ramrod form his 1 1/8 Hawken about once a month or so. Old Dryball use to carry spare ramrods to each shoot. I know that in the three years he shot with us he launched at least 6 ramrods into the backstop. Mostly they broke when they hit, but once he went down pulled the rod from the backstop and went back to the firing line and reloaded his gun. He was also a good one for short starting a ball and then firing it from his gun.

With a 25 yrd zero you can plan on 200 - 250 yrds appox 25 ft up the berm
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master
    The only time I did it, it was intentional. My ramrod broke very close to the jag, and I was unable to remove my jag after trying several fixes, so removed my nipple, put in a little powder, seated the jag fully against breech, or until it was sitting on powder ( I could have done it with a bit less powder, but that's another story), and sent it down range. I know I heard an impact on the 100 yd berm, but never found my jag, so it must have had a bit of energy left when it got there. I wish I could say I have never come close to doing it on accident though. Distractions and all....

I launched one out of my inline 50 cal, I was talking with friends while shooting and became distracted. I shot, and wow did that kick hard and it was very loud, but wait I'm seeing black spots and there's blood running down my eye? I looked through my scope, which had just kissed my face, and there was nothing on the target.

I walked down range, and about 50 yards down saw what looked like a section of coax cable sticking out of the ground, hmm strange I thought. Well I went back to the bench, cleaned my face off and went to reload, wait where's my ramrod? And the duh moment hits, looking downrange, there is my solid aluminum ramrod, in an s shape sticking out of the ground. I went and retrieved it, removed my Barnes loading tip, which now has the rifling marked gouged into it. I tried to reuse the tip, but it wouldn't fit down the barrel, since the Barnes mz 250 grain hollow point must have expanded it a bit.

Lesson learned, while chatting at the range, I leave the guns sitting. And before I left the rangmaster asked if he could hang my rod on their wall of shame. The only plus to that is, there are so many there now that I can't tell which is mine anymore.

Always carry, never tell.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You know, we laugh about people doing this, but take into consideration. If the rod has slid away from the projectile, you have a hell of a barrel obstruction that can well burst a barrel. Be careful!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

The closest I came was shooting a cleaning jag out of one. It was a plastic jag and got stuck, so I pulled the nipple dumped about 20grs of 3FG in the breech through the nipple, and seated the patched jag against the charge, capped it and shot it across the front yard. I found the patch but not the jag. It wouldn't have mattered anyway as the threads were broken off of it. I just thought it would be cool to have it to add to my box of screw ups. Yes I have a box of shame, or lessons learned how ever you want to look at it.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sorry, Hornady308, none of our learned friends seem to have an answer for you. I've often wondered what the optimal twist rate would be and if placing one or more driving bands along the shaft would help with stabilizing these unintentional projectiles. After seeing how little help you got I'm not even going to ask.

Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You know, we laugh about people doing this, but take into consideration. If the rod has slid away from the projectile, you have a hell of a barrel obstruction that can well burst a barrel. Be careful!
    That kind of reminds me, not trying to hyjack this thread but I was watching TOP Shot this week and they were loading flintlock pistols for the day, peaked my interest abit more. They had a expert as usual showing them how to load and he showed them how to load with no patch so they had to be careful as the ball could roll forward and drop out(and it did a couple times). I figure they probably did it for a speed factor as they were mimicing pirates on a ship battling, but wouldn't that be abit unsafe or am I missing something? I know probably unlikely but they still could have for the show used patches for safety.

Back to the thread. I have never launched a rod or at least yet but I have forgot the powder a couple times. I have to watch what I do when I get talking especially now adays I seem to loose track of things easier.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Stuff happens. The club on which I once served as a director used to have a traveling trophy. It was a beautifully polished and lacquered piece of wood with a target skillfully painted on it and (you probably knew this was coming) it had a a hole drilled dead center and a Dowel rod glued in place. Whoever fired a ramrod during a club shoot was awarded this trophy and was required to keep it UNTIL the next person did it. It was then ceremonially awarded to that person who had to keep it until the next one. It made for some great laughter at the club and everyone had fun with it.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We have a traveling trophy somewhat like that. Ours is for dry balling. It is a necklace made of empty CO2 cylinders.

I have never been the possessor of it since it has started it's rounds!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

We have a traveling trophy somewhat like that. Ours is for dry balling. It is a necklace made of empty CO2 cylinders.

Nowyou have jinx your self.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post

Nowyou have jinx your self.
    I would have to work hard to gain possession. Current "owner" dry balled five times in one match!

Boolit Master

Been there, don't need the tee shirt. It was my first shootoff with pistol in national compition. I lost.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

I have been really lucky over the years and have not fired a ramrod or dry balled it, YET. Notice the "yet". I am sure as I get older and my mind gets feebler, it is going to happen. I will be sure to let all of you know when it does, so each and everyone of you can make fun of me for doing it. I annoy my buddy Dave when we are shooting, because I won't talk or look away from the task of loading the gun until I am ready to prime it, be it with a cap or 4FG.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Mold
    I can assure you it has nothing to do with age. When I was 15 (1965) I shot my ramrod out of my .44 cal. Hopkins and Allen underhammer Coach gun. Never did find that ramrod. Still have that little rifle and it still sports the dowel ramrod that i bought to replace the original. It sure is accurate! Wish I had been able to afford some more of those H&A underhammers.