RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot in the FOOT ! Can't believe I bought this

Boolit Master

Welcome to the club! I bought a new SAECO when GAR went out of business. Tremendous deal. They didn't have that many size dies or top punches. The two SAECO molds I bought were calibers that they didn't have dies left in stock. I have yet to get the size dies or top punches for those two molds.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    I've got an old Herters Bulletmaster sizer which is a Saeco with Herters name stamped on it. I made an adapter to use Lyman top punches with no more than drill press and a couple drill bits. Probably took me 30 minutes or so. Works great. I've had both the Lyman and Saeco and the Saeco is better IMO. Saeco dies are a little higher. Zack
    I have one of the Herter copies too. I make my own sizing dies for Lyman/RCBS/Star, but the Saeco design is more complicated because of the threads on the bottom that secure the die in the sizer. I did a little brainstorming and made a lock ring that can be used instead. It utilizes an allen screw to clamp it in place, which also simplifies and speeds up die changes. One ring works for all the Saeco style dies I make.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

just think of all the money you saved by reloading and casting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I have one of the Herter copies too. I make my own sizing dies for Lyman/RCBS/Star, but the Saeco design is more complicated because of the threads on the bottom that secure the die in the sizer. I did a little brainstorming and made a lock ring that can be used instead. It utilizes an allen screw to clamp it in place, which also simplifies and speeds up die changes. One ring works for all the Saeco style dies I make.
    Ahh, then you have a lathe. Wish I did. I'm keeping my eye out for an old Atlas/Craftsman lathe.

I did a little research when I bought my Herter's sizer used off E-Bay (back when they were gun friendly), years ago. Apparently, the early Herter's sizers were Saeco clones and the later Herter's sizers were Lyman clones per my old Herter's catalougs. The later day Herter's catalougs even state that their sizer will accept Lyman sizing dies.
    Saecos are a pain to change dies in when the lube is cold. I love that spring loaded lube resevoir. So much easier to keep the lube flowing than my old Lyman. Zack.

Boolit Mold
    I dunno about you guys, but I figure that the cost of these things has a slim chance of going down anytime soon. Witness even the price increase in the Star last week. So if you are going to be in this hobby for more than a few years consider casting / reloading supply expenses now an investment in the future.

... That's what I keep telling my wife

Boolit Grand Master
    Good point, Clocker.

I'm pretty much committed to the Lyman 450 system now, since I have several dozen H&I dies and the top punches already on hand. The Star or the SAECO/Redding may indeed be faster or better, but I sure as h--l can't afford to re-tool. What may occur is the purchase of a second 4500 or LAM II to accomodate high-velocity lube for rifle rounds, but that is about as decadent as I plan to get.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Man
    I had both the Lyman and the Saeco. The Saeco I still have the Lyman long gone.

Boolit Master
    The only one, if you simply are FORCED to size your bullets, is the Star.
    Being on SS myself, if I was EVER actually to find a reason to size a bullet (and I haven't in over 30 years of casting and shooting), I would go the Lee route. If I couldn't stand LLA/Xlox, I would make my own lube. A little case lube, size the bullet, then apply some sort of tumble lube (dissolve whatever I like in naphtha, MS, turpentine and tumble it).

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Jack View Post
    Decided to try and beat the cost of copper Gas checks, aprox. $35.00k

Being careful I can punch 8 GC per strip giving me 6,400 gas checks per roll. That's a savings of almost $5.00.

At this rate I'll only have to shoot about 6,400 .459 cal. bullets (275lbs of lead) to amortize the cost of making my own gas checks. ......
    OK, so you're sort of in the area....how about I buy a couple hundred of your gas checks at $1.00 profit to you (you pay the postage, of course), just as soon as I buy the proper mold, top punch and dies to make the bullets that would fit whatever firearm I need to buy to fit your gas checks.....

Now we're both saving money!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Ya just gotta go with what works for you and what you can afford!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I find that with advancing age (not quite 60), I feel I need a back up for some of my gear. Not sure but I have five sets of 44 Automag Dies and four sets of 357 Automag dies. For most of my pistols, I have two sets.
    Molds: at least two per calibers. 1K lbs of casting lead on hand.
    The kids will have fun figuring this all out when I reach the Big Range in the Sky with Elmer, et el.
    Gerry

Boolit Master
    Buying reloading equipment is like driving through the bad section of town after dark, you never look back!! And just think how much our staples have gone up recently, there sure as heck is no way any if it is ever coming back down so look at every piece of equipment as an investment. Besides i'm sure there are plenty of people in the swappin' and sellin' section that would be happy to own that bad boy!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    The problem of being a old guy is for years I saw gun catalogs of gear that I could not afford as a kid and always wanted something. Then I find something of those days and leap on it. Casting gear is one of those areas, if a H&G mold comes up for sale, my blood is up ! Well, lately I came across a very fine condition original
    black painted 1971 made SAECO (Carpentera California, not Redding ) bullet sizer/lubricator.

Panic: I see one for sale and got to get it. $ spent , its got to be better than my Lyman 4500 and its old age quality, renowned SAECO gear, and life will not be complete till I get it. Grass is always greener on other side of fence etc etc.

The SAECO arrives, after a little clean up , its like new condition. I got it for a steal.
    Then, I decide to get a order up for the top punches and sizing dies so I can use this machine.

Sticker shock: By the time I buy one sizing die and one top punch, I spent 3 x what I would have for such items for the Lyman machine. Thundering Coyotes,
    why did I not look at this aspect of punch & dies before ! This machine is outrageous to use for all the needs I had in mind.

I am an idiot. Unless I find used top punches & dies in .312 and .309, its too expensive to use this machine.

Point: Do the math first before you buy !!
    Now if you're wanting an investment, I got THE perfect investment for anyone whose retired or looking to retire
    I got this land down in Florida for sale........CHEAP, CHEAP as rain.
    Taxes are extremely low, and someday it'll be worth a mint.
    Right now Florida gov't officials call it a swamp....I say BULLHOCKEY....It's a flooded plain, just waiting to be inhabited after draining.
    If Floridas not your cup of tea, I got thhis other investment. It's in the far north.
    Invest in something you can put your name on, it's a bridge you can name after yourself. Right now people call it the bridge to no where. I say bull you buy it, put your name on it, it's going somewhere, even if it is only across the river, where theres no roads.

Boolit Master
    Might as well invest in shoot'n gear as to waste it on whiskey and soiled doves.

prs

Boolit Grand Master
    Sir, I beg to differ, money spent on soiled doves and whiskey is never wasted, unless you already are.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    I am an idiot. Unless I find used top punches & dies in .312 and .309, its too expensive to use this machine.
    Milprileb, I have an unused .313 sizing die.

If you plan to keep the SAECO and are interested in this die, send me a PM and we can work something out.

Boolit Master
    Email sent to Norbrat