RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uses for Trailboss?

Boolit Master
    I use it for light 357 loads for the Ruger LCR.
    ph4570

Boolit Mold
    Looking for a very MILD load of smokeless, IF that's possible, for an old top-break Iver Johnson .38S&W that might be a black powder era pistol. BTW, how can I tell if it was made for BP or for smokeless? And should I just forget the whole thing?
    Milt Farrow "I'm not sure what it is, but it uses a lot of ammo."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post
    I love Trailboss, it is my favorite cast bullet powder hands down.

I use it for cowboy 357 and 44 mag loads, and in 30-30 and most WWI/WWII rifle cartridges, and 45-70. It shoots great in all of them.

It is very clean, not smoky, and the kernels are (I find) less messy than fine grained powder like bullseye etc if you miss priming a case on a progressive.

Regarding pressure: I have never had pressure signs or issues with Trailboss in any gun I have used it in.
    Are you loading it in .30-06 for the Garand?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use it in my 38's and 357 loads. My 11 yr old daughter likes shooting my handgun with those loads. I have also used in my mosin and I let her shoot those also. Trailboss was the first powder I used to reload my 357 because it can't be double charged.
    Garbear
    Garbear

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    Are you loading it in .30-06 for the Garand?
    Not for the Garand, but I load 30-06 with a 247 grain Whisper bullet with 13gr of TB for a 1903 Springfield and it shoots great. I don't think this load would come close to cycling a Garand, and would not use it for anything other than bolt-actions.

Boolit Master
    I came up with a use for it in my Nagant revolver. I was having a problem with my boolits jumping crimp. For those not familiar with the Nagant, it is an unusual design where the cylinder moves forward in the frame to make a gas seal between the firing round and the barrel. It works great for the original ammo, but for reloads I was having a heck of a time. See, when the cylinder moves forward there is nothing to support the remaining six rounds at the back of the cylinder, under recoil they slap back and forth. I could only get about four shots off before the remaining unfired boolits jumped crimp. I tried crimping firmer but started distorting the boolits. My solution was to load up the case with Trail Boss to the point the seated boolit would just start to compress the powder. I seated deep enough that I could then crimp over top of the front driving band of my boolit. That way the boolits can't move anywhere under recoil. Accuracy from the Nagant with this powder has been exceptional! And like everyone else has said, this is one of the cleanest burning powders out there.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I got started using TB based on an article on a milsurp website. They used a 9 grain charge of TB with several milsurp rifles and cast lead, just to see if one simple load would work. It actually did quite well in all but a French MAS if I recall. Sights on all rifles were jacked up to around 500 yards to impact at 100.

I've been using 10 to 12 grains in most of my bolt action military rifles, usually with a boolit of 200 grains or so. Accuracy is quite good and frankly I think it would make a fair hunting round as they hit with "authority".

Haven't used it in handgun yet, but I have 100 brand new .45 long Colt cases begging for something to do..................

In short, I like the powder. It's not a substitute for any other powder in my opinion, but just another good powder we can use. If I had a complaint at all, it's that the kernels are so light they blow around easily.....so don't sneeze when weighing!

Subsonic .308 Win go to powder

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.

38/200 TB load?

I'm looking at using TB for a Webley 380, 38/200. I've used unique, but it is such a small amount, very easy to double charge. I want to use TB to prevent this. Suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I use Trail Boss in the 74 gr. wc from the group buy.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    I'm looking at using TB for a Webley 380, 38/200. I've used unique, but it is such a small amount, very easy to double charge. I want to use TB to prevent this. Suggestions?
    Just like Hodgdon says, fill it to the base of the boolit, no compression. That is your maximum load. 70% of that is your minimum load. Somewhere in between is where you're likely to end up. It's really easy powder to work with, especially in pistol cases.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Nobade
    Thanks for the info!

Boolit Buddy
    38 powderpuff loads. Any straight cased revolver case really.