RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bougth a new ruger today

Banned

bougth a new ruger today

just put in an order for one of the new 44 redhawk 4 inch guns.

Cast Boolits Owner

Looks like you need to update your order for .44 cal gaschecks on the gb website : http://groupbuys.dnsalias.com/login.asp

Ooops, was that a shameless plug?

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy
    Ah maht jes hev to git me one'oh dem.....

Banned

They should be a sweet lead thrower and it will go good with the 480 redhawk dustins linebaugh is building me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngunr View Post
    Ah maht jes hev to git me one'oh dem.....

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 7.5" stainless gun, well-liked enough I had Mernickle make me a shoulder rig for it, but in the end, it was too much a boat anchor.....maybe the compact boat anchor will please me.....what's bad is that I call it a boat anchor pull your pants down special, but what I like about the gun is its overengineered massiveness.....

Boolit Grand Master
    If ever a hunting revolver needed a set of sling swivels, it would be the Redhawk. Mine is a 5.5"/blue, and it's a CHUNK.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I have a 45 redhawk and I love it.Very accurate and built like a tank.Best revolver for the money I ever bought.After getting a trigger job and overtravel screw put in it and a little firelapping it is everything I want in a double action 45 colt.It is a little heavy but that is good when shooting full power loads in a 45 colt.I bet you will like a 44 mag very much also with the shorter barrel.I'll be great for belt carry and not loosen up for a long time if ever.I bet Ruger will sell a lot of them.Too bad they don't make more 45 colts redhawks.The 45 colt will do anything the 44 mag will do with less pressure and surpass it with 300 grain and heavier bullets and kick a little softer IMO.The 44 redhawk does have the advantage of using 44 special and probably shoot keith swc bullets well with hardly any kick.If they put fiber optic front sight with express rear v-notch I on some of them I'd be very tempted to get one myself.

I've been thinking hard on this one myself Lloyd. I'll be looking forward to you expert opinion and evaluation. I've been wanting one for my springtime jaunts in the woods, when the bears are feeling frisky and grumpy. (Acutally, that's just an excuse...I just want it.) I don't have a .44 and I'm caught between this and a 4 inch S&W 629.

Bary
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

Boolit Buddy
    Having several .45 Colts laying about, bear medicine wouldn't be a good excuse.....the several thousand .429 and .430 SWC's I have cluttering my shelves ought to be, though, as since Big Red left, I've been without a .44.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Performance and recoil-absorption are NOT a complaint I could ever make about the Redhawk, not at all. I chose it over another S&W 29-series specifically because of its strength and ability to soak up recoil energy. Physics offers no free lunch, and its laws offer no plea bargains either.

I no longer shoot Special calibers in Magnum revolvers. Life is too short to clean crud out of the chambers, and I have both 38 and 44 Special revolvers to accomodate the calibers. To me, the S&W 41 and 44 Magnum revolvers remain comfortable to shoot all day to about 1200 FPS with their "standard" bullet weights of 210 and 240 grains respectively. Elmer Keith knew whereof he spoke. If you plan to run lots of rounds well past those intensities, the Redhawk might be a better option. I bought mine ~12 years ago, and I was still in ThunderGun/LightUpHillsideAtDusk mode to some extent at that time. I have run 240 grain JSP's and Lyman #429244 WELL PAST 1400 FPS, and the Ruger soaks them up like clockwork. I shoot a few of these each time the Redhawk goes out, and the emptied cases get refilled with something a little less intense nowadays. #429421 at 950-1000 FPS feels about like a 158 grain +P load in a K-38 when fired in a Redhawk. That Ruger REALLY tames the 44 Magnum.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Now, I am the exact opposite, Al.....I shot Big Red exclusively with .44Spl brass and loads....cleaning is only a chore if you try to use the Mangle'em brass....if I were to get one, it'd be mainly a special Special platform for mild-to-medium loads of 800-1000fps.......I don't think I own any magnum brass, except for that picked up in error at the range......

Boolit Grand Master
    OH--"Big Red" was the SIDEARM, not a "significant other". I was in "Waksupi mindset", equating "Big Red" to Ric's "Woolly Mammoth". Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yer right, the long brass does complicate things in the long-chambered cylinder formerly fired with shorter brass.

Banned

I guess Bary id put it this way. Id never in a million years sell my 629 to buy a redhawk. They are both completely differnt guns to me. I can see no use in running light loads in a redhawk 44. There heavy stout guns made to perform. If i was going to run 250s at a 1000 it would be in a smith. This new 4 inch gun will probably see a steady diet of 300s. In all reality i needed it like a hole in the head. Ive got 5 other 44 mags allready that cover all of my bases. But i just got the hankering to play with a 4 inch one. So much that a even have dustin linebaugh building me another 4 inch redhawk in 480. That one will be a bullet lobber though. Ive allready got 475s to push so that redhawk will see 400s at 1000 for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayoot View Post
    I've been thinking hard on this one myself Lloyd. I'll be looking forward to you expert opinion and evaluation. I've been wanting one for my springtime jaunts in the woods, when the bears are feeling frisky and grumpy. (Acutally, that's just an excuse...I just want it.) I don't have a .44 and I'm caught between this and a 4 inch S&W 629.

Bary

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, Al, my ex DID clean out the house when she left, but she KNEW not to touch the guns, as she knew that was the one thing I wouldn't tolerate.....
    Lloyd, if'n I get one, it'll be because I know I'll be able to shoot .44 Specials through it for my entire lifetime and it probably never have to be repaired....I just can't say that about late-1800 designed S&W's, revised internals or not, it's still a revised 1890 design, somewhat Rube Goldbergish of lockwork complexity.....while the Ruger was designed in modern times from the ground up to endure and be as simple as possible......nothing has the class or shear shootability of a good Smith, but if you want a gun to last and last, some other designs might be the ticket.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Al View Post
    OH--"Big Red" was the SIDEARM, not a "significant other". I was in "Waksupi mindset", equating "Big Red" to Ric's "Woolly Mammoth". ...
    Do your retirement benefits cover treatment for that?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm trying to recall what the doc said......."W/M isn't treated, it's managed". Yeah, that was it. Marie has said something very similar about me, many times.

Boolit Master
    Funny how we look at the same thing from different vantage points.

The trend today in everything is lighter / shoter / smaller. Hell I missed a shot at a yote last weekend because I had my 329pd on. I just watched him move through thinkin I wish I had a gun. Forgot I had it.

I guess I am old fashioned. I .... like .... heavier guns as long as you can get your hands around them. Guns that lay out. I can't see long sight radiuses anymore, so I need to go with a heavy frame and a shorter tube. For off hand work a heavier gun can't be beat, handgun or rifle. Much easier to hold steady / aim / shoot than a light gun.

That's why I want a 4". Then I will probably sell my 7 1/2.

Banned

I agree with you totaly. Nothing points better to me for shooting off hand then a heavy single or double action with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Lots of guys like the longer sight radius but ive allways shot short guns more then long ones and thats probably why i do better with a short barrel. I guess what i look at with the weight is that a gun is packed alot more then its shot in the brush and a tad lighter gun hangs on the belt better. To me anyway a 44 has no real recoil so the weight advantage in that dept doesnt matter. Both of my 500 linebaughs wear 4 inch barrels not because im a glutten for punishment but because i shoot them better and i can pack one all day and hardly know its on my hip. Ive definetly got my opions on what a hunting handgun should be and the first requirement to me of a good hunting handgun is that it has to be able to be packed in a belt holster. No slings or bandelaro hosters for me. I guess the appeal of the 4 inch redhawk is three fold for me. First and foremost its chambered in the best dammed revolver round ever made. the 44 mag and second its stout enough to take the biggest 44 loads a guy can create and third its still compact enough (but barely) to be carried all day in a belt holster.

Boolit Grand Master
    400 grains at 1000 FPS.......almost a 45-70 in a holster. Wheelguns have come a LONG way in my lifetime.

Banned

Al the 4 inch 500s will push a 450 to 1300 fps easily and combine that with the fact that bullet technology has come a long ways since the old buffalo hunters shot the big bores and you have to realize that the handguns today are EVERYTHING that the guns the hunters used to wipe out the bison population years ago and if a guy wants to step up to an even bigger gun like a smith 500 or linebaugh max it leaves them in the dust. I allways laugh when i watch the old cowboy movies when the cowboys hide hehind a rolled over wagon or on the other side of a wall shooting out the window. If a guy would have known about hard cast bullets back then they sure would have changed there tactics! I wouldnt want to stand on the other side of my house with someone shooting a 500 or 475 at me!!