Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 8x57 1888

8x57 1888

My 1888 had a new barrel made for it by Richard Hoch back about 1982. Everything was kept the same as was except the barrel inside the shroud. And he made a boolit mold to match his barrel. The limiting factor is the sights.
    Anyone have suggestions on how to make a detachable peep?
    I have a wild and crazy idea running loose right now that it may be feasible to use miniature super magnets embedded in sight assemblies. And have the fabricated assemblies align themselves on the existing hardware. If I can find the time to pursue this it should be feasible, secure and self aligning in a repeatable manner.

Perhaps a windage adjustable peep rear that seats on the long range ladder sight notch and a hooded blade with bead.

Perhaps if it's withing your given budget you could get another barrel jacket and permanently mount new sights to it? I just looked at my 88 and think it could be done with a Williams WGRS receiver sight mounted just in front of the shoulder on the jacket, and what ever front sight you care to use. You could then keep the original jacket stock and have peep sights too.

Nora

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...880&catid=4233
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ECEIVER-SIGHTS
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Good Cheer,

I like Nora's idea of buying spare parts for experiementation. I have seen photos of custom Model 98 Mausers with peep sites on the cocking piece of the action. (These look to would be professionally customized guns the Germans were making for export between the World Wars). You might consider buying a second cocking piece and mounting a peep site onto it. A ~$20.00 investment that would be revisible if you didn't like it.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...150&catid=4232

The 1888 Commission rifle's cocking piece has that ridge on top that's ideal for a peep.

I believe that the threads on the standard peep sites are 7/32"x40 (Knowledge base: correct me if I'm wrong) At any rate, not a standard tap thread you'll find at a hardware store.)

Good luck with your project!
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Super magnets are radical. Done right it will work for sure. It will need to recoil up against something fixed though. You can't glue super magnets using JB Weld - it contains steel and it does funny things.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I have a 1904 Haenel Sporting Rifle based on the'88. It has a Lyman side mount peep mounted on the left side of the receiver. It is inletted into the stock, perhaps you can find something that would fit...?

Sat down at the kitchen counter and looked it over. Making super magnets clamp in units for a ladder sight peep and bead front with be easy. Now I just need a big round toit.

Sat down at the kitchen counter and looked it over. Making super magnets clamp in units for a ladder sight peep and bead front with be easy. Now I just need a big round toit.
    Good Cheer,

Post a photo of your site design when you get it finished. I'd like to see rear site.

Thanks,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

It all got put on hold but now it's time to dive back in.
    This is from the Lyman 316275 picked up here on the forum. Going to see how it will paper patch.

The barrel has a 12" twist and should stabilize the length ok.