MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi mares leg????

Boolit Master

Always reminded me of Steve McQueen in "Wanted Dead or Alive".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051327/

Don't see much use other than fun and emptying a lot of ammo at cans.

My wife discovered the mares leg while surfing the web one night and got a bug that she "needed" one . Best received Christmas present I have ever presented . She greedily consumed all my vintage 80's .38 and .357 reloads in short order and then asked those eternal questions , " How much did that stuff cost to shoot ? " and " Whataya mean ......"ABOUT".... a hundred bucks ?!?!?"

Now she's asking me ....if -I -.......want to go shooting . And it's progressed to the point that she was impatiently awaiting her own new molds in the mail . So not only is she shooting enough to be proficient, she is casting and reloading as well . I think this unique situation is an excellent example of at least one utility of gimmick guns .

It was a little clunky at first but has smoothed out somewhat . There was also a large chunk of BLUED milling machine swarf inside the bolt that prevented it from extracting the second round it fired . Having ordered it from my village smith , he set that straight the very next day and she was up and slaying freon cylinders that night . Only remaining bugs are a painfully stiff feed gate and a certain pickiness on feeding 357 .

I bought one, and it is a blast! Sites, we don't need no stinking sites man! We just need(already have) a reloader to practice off the hip shooting! This thing will eat up some ammo trying to get good off the hip. And after all, that is how it was intended to be shot anyway..... watch the ole Steve McQeen bounty Hunter series, or the new FireFly series....off the hip is how this jewel is used....LOL, and it is fun! If a .22LR version were made, I'd have it too, JUST for extended practice sessions.
    kliff

AR15, 5.56mm home made
    '71 Winchester NRA Centennial 30/30
    336 Marlin 30/30
    Henry Big Boy 45LC
    EMF Uberti '73 45LC
    Rossi Ranch Hand 45LC
    Rossi Rio Grande 45-70
    Ruger Black Hawk 45LC
    Uberti Hombre(x2) 45LC
    Taurus Judge 45LC/.410
    Taurus Tracker 357
    Colt Gov't Mod
    ...to name a few...

Boolit Grand Master

Josh Randall thought they are cool.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    i have a 38/357 and love it i am going to use it for hogs and HD/ truck gun they do shoot 12-14 high but it is very consistent

Boolit Master
    I just sold one of those today. Neat little gun; classified as a handgun (and the packaging wouldn't let you forget that), but I don't really see the point. I couldn't quite figure out how you were supposed to shoot it.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kliff View Post
    I bought one, and it is a blast! Sites, we don't need no stinking sites man! We just need(already have) a reloader to practice off the hip shooting! This thing will eat up some ammo trying to get good off the hip. And after all, that is how it was intended to be shot anyway..... watch the ole Steve McQeen bounty Hunter series, or the new FireFly series....off the hip is how this jewel is used....LOL, and it is fun! If a .22LR version were made, I'd have it too, JUST for extended practice sessions.
    They do make it in 22lr. It is about $100 cheaper maybe more in your location.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    There has been a'Mare's Leg' on sale in the States for years, I have seen the ads, but those suckers were over $US2000 from memory. The Rossis would be much more obtainable.

We could probably buy them here as handguns.

I think I'd rather have a big revolver, easy to use. I would probably buy one if I had some lazy cash lying about. I suppose they would be handy for a horse mounted cowboy, nice and flat (but then again, so would a trapper length rifle). They would be ok in Alaska or Canada or the colder parts of the States, wandering about in deep snow
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I may get one and put a regular butt stock on the gun. With the shorter barrel it would be the ultimate packing gun for Black Bear protection. Here in Canada they are regarded as rifles not handguns so we don't get involved with our stupid restrictions on handgun use.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

They are a very viable option for Canada, bit of a novelty or toy for most folk elsewhere unless you mounted on a motorcycle, quad bike or horse doing farm/ranch work. They woudl tuck under the seat of atruck nicely I suppose.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    ocelott

You need a taller front sight.
    +1

Always wanted to try one of these out, I think they look really cool but I just don't want to spend the money for one.

*sigh* so many guns so little money..............

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    They are a very viable option for Canada, bit of a novelty or toy for most folk elsewhere unless you mounted on a motorcycle, quad bike or horse doing farm/ranch work. They woudl tuck under the seat of atruck nicely I suppose.
    Without a regular butt stock I have to think they are pretty much useless but I guess there is a use for everythingi you look hard enough.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Without a regular butt stock I have to think they are pretty much useless
    I don't know about useless, but unnecessarily difficult to cycle, especially with a bit of sand/dirt/whatever in the action as would be very likely to be around on a working gun occasionally. With a shoulder stock, it would be a snack to cycle, even with gritty/reluctant ammo. But, with that stump, I don't know. But then again, lots of shooters break the cardinal rule for rifle shootin all the time, that is lowering the rifle from the shoulder to cycle the action.

I guess I was fortunate, as a teenager in the Aussie Army Cadets, I got a clip upside the head from a crusty Korean Vet if I lowered the butt to work the bolt. A few of them and you don't forget, lol. The fact of having the stock ancored to your shoulder would give you a lot more purchase on the gun and a lot more leverage.

I might just have to buy one to see if this argument is valid, lol, I have a pair of Rossis I could borrow a stock from.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by velojym View Post
    The gun shop I visited today has a few up on the wall, and I was hooked as soon as I handled it. Whether I "need" it or not isn't really worth debating, and is in fact one of the anti-gunners' planks anyway.
    I think it'd be a fine gun for my vehicle emergency kit, more accurate and powerful than any of my pistols, yet more wieldy and even.... dare I say it... concealable than any of my rifles.

Besides, I'm a Firefly fan.

I'm picturing this in a short scabbard under a backpack, or a thigh holster if in circumstances where that's acceptable.
    I read somewhere that some one was offering a thigh holster for the Mares Leg I just can't remember who. I think if you google it you'l find one.

many folks out my way are buying for use on horse back. My friend sells them and said he can't keep them in. Other then that I am going to buy either a winchester or marlin in 357 to go with my pistol.
    Garbear
    Garbear