Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody gone back?

Boolit Master

Lightbulb Anybody gone back?

To Viet Nam to visit or vacation? It was suggested to me the other day by some friends that are going to tour the area. Now none of these people have ever been there, heck I haven't been there since 1971.
    Just curious if you went what do you think of it now & if like me would you visit or not.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Grand Master

Been there once, that was enought for me!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    From what I have read and seen on internet travel sites, Vietnam
    is today a tourist attraction that is both very inexpensive (once there) and quite
    exciting. My StepSon and his wife have sent pictures and letters from their vacation
    there.

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

In Remembrance
    I was a hair too young to have to go there, and never thought of a reason to want to go there.
    My uncle and best friend, spent several years there in the sixties as civilians, he loved it and may never have moved back, if it wasn't a have to deal. I watched lots of old reel to reel movies he took, the years he was over there, one of the highlights was hog hunting with the mountain ords, with knives. lol

Boolit Master
    Nope, I'll never go back.

Why help support a Third World commie government that tortured and murdered an unknown number of people whose only "crime" was to hold differing political and religious views?

Besides, there are too many places in the United States that I want to see, so I'll keep my tourist dollars at home.

Spent 1966 in Vietnam, don't think I will go back but the thought has crossed my mind.
    Da Nang and Dong Ha...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post

Why help support a Third World commie government that tortured and murdered an unknown number of people whose only "crime" was to hold differing political and religious views?

Besides, there are too many places in the United States that I want to see, so I'll keep my tourist dollars at home.
    +1...never went the first time..but see no reason to go now.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Afghanistan is way different! My son spent a year there doing agricultural eduacational work for Chemonics International. He got to visit many places. The scenery is like no other towards the northern mountains, as in Himalayas. A serious hotel chain will do no wrong in the future. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Yea, I also have a problem spending tourist dollars in a commie country. I see no reason to go back. Think I'll work on my friends to see if I can talk them out of it.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

Been there, done that and have NO desire to return. I was there in 67-68.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I was there parts of 65, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73. Never more than 4 months at one time, was in Thailand in support, also P.I. I have been seriously considering going back for a short stay in VN, visit Thailand and the P.I. Last time in Thailand was 78, P.I. 85. I keep thinking I need to go. I have retired navy acquaintances that live in and various places around the P.I. I don't mind telling anyone; I miss the old days, they gotta be old cause I'm 67 and went in the navy in 63, I think I need closure. Isn't that what it's called now? Good excuse, anyway!!!!

In Remembrance
    I was a pretty young kid, when I mentioned going to a foreign country to see something, I don't remember what or where, but I do remember what he said. I will not live long enough to see everything this country has to offer, so why would you ever want to go to some foreign country.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Plus 2

Was not deployed out of the country during my hitch in the U.S. Army in the 60's, but I confer with your feelings.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    G/Co, 75th Inf, the Ranger Company assigned to the 23rd Infantry Division. August of 1969 thru September of 1971.

I would go back, if I can go in a Comanche Helicopter or B-52 with nukes...

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Vietnam

I was there again just last night.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Vendor Sponsor
    Hell I won't even go to California!

I work with young vietnamese fellow. He went back recently for a wedding in the family. He said that only the cities have anything going on economically. He visited some relatives in a rural area and he said the electricity is off as much as on. They turn it off in rural areas whenever the cities need the current.

In Remembrance

I wouldn't give those people the time of day no less than some american $$$. No one ever comments on how they violated the treaties they signed and the millions of their own poeple they killed or tortured in "re-education" camps. I would only go if I could give them a taste of their own medicine. They should be an international pariah-state and no one should trade with them under any circumstances.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    yeah!! as the old timer says; Hell, if it weren't fer flash backs, I wouldn't have any memories at all!!!!
    Remember the lightening in the hills after dark? That's what we thought it was the first time we saw it, then the rumble caught up with the flashes, it wasn't thunder!!!

Love the sight of a vulcan strafing a hillside at night!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy

No need to go back... some days those long ago memories are still real.. Nov 66 to Feb 68