RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't convince myself to buy a 22 lr pistol

Boolit Bub

can't convince myself to buy a 22 lr pistol

I have a Glock 17L that I enjoy shooting , reload my own ammo. Have a strong desire to buy a Browning buckmark with the long barrel seven inches or so. Problem is I think about all the lead, primers and powder that could be purchased and say no to the purchase. 71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.

Le Loup Solitaire

22 LR Pistol

22ammo is still fairly cheap and a 22 LR pistol is a fun gun to tote to the range in doors or out to shoot with without worrying about picking up brass or reloading it. It is fun to plink with if that is what you like to do. And there is a lot of guns to choose from that are sensibly priced. There is also stuff that is not the greatest quality or accuracy wise. If you want to shoot target then get yourself a good gun rather than something that is mediocre. Its not as much a question of who to pass it on to; it can always be sold off, but a question of enjoying something that gives you pleasure to own and successfully use while the scoreboard clock is still running. LLS

Boolit Master

22 long rifle ammo, in bulk, is still about the cost of a centerfire primer. They're lots of fun, no labor to reload for and a great way to introduce people to the shooting sports.

Moderator Emeritus

If you have your own place to shoot, setting up a rimfire bullet trap is pretty easy and cheap, and you can recycle the lead into 9mm bullets! I recently bought a Buckmark, well, not really recently, around Christmas and I do not regret it. I'm always going to side with the BUY IT crowd anyhow, if you want a new gun, BUY IT. I'm not going to talk you out of it!
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Longwood
    The Buckmark is a pretty good choice.
    A quality 22 is not only cheap to shoot, they will teach you to shoot well much faster than any other caliber.
    If you want to learn to shoot pistol even "MORE" accurately, buy a good pellet gun and do a trigger job on it to practice your trigger pull.
    Trigger pull is the most important part of accurate pistol shooting.

PS:
    Pick up the brass if they will let you.
    There are people here want it.

Boolit Master
    Buy it. You can pass you firearms on to ME. Personally I'd get a Ruger, I sold my Buckmark because of feeding/extraction problems. But they probably make them better nowadays.

Banned

shooting at the range is an excellent way to find someone to mentor.
    passing along knowledge [to someone that cares] and has a lot of questions keeps the sport interesting.
    when i was shooting trap a lot i found a young man that had the skills and the desire but his job at the range didn't pay enough to shoot in any events.
    i would loan him a gun/shells and pay his entrance fee to some of the shoots and i was able to help coach his shooting.
    the deal we worked out was, if he won any money we would split the purse,all trophies were his.
    he worked hard and saved his money.
    i eventually made him a very good deal on that shotgun and one of my reloaders.
    i also done the same thing for my daughters ex boyfriend i gave him a metallic reloader i had picked up cheap,an older balance beam scale and assorted other stuff, some brass i had [brand new odd that they were there ],and some bullets and boolits and taught him how to use them.
    i never did have time to teach him how to cast before he left for tradeschool.

Boolit Bub
    shooting 22 lr does not give me the charge of a center fire. Cost of local indoor is 13.78 a pop. driving to my gun club is over 40 miless, so cost savings on ammo is not that much of a consideration for me. My first hand gun years ago was a Ruger super blackhawk 44 mag. best shooter I ever had. Just like the single action and the big bang. Have glock 29 10MM that I enjoy.

In Remembrance

I second the motion

for the Ruger. Have had two Buckmarks and both had issues.
    Ruger can always be made to be reliable with a new magazine in the rare instance when it aint.
    I just got a Ruger Hunter III. Ridiculous!! It has a plastic lower and 4.5" fluted barrel. Who ever thought to call a 22 pistol a "hunter anything" is short on brain cells. It will find a new home soon. The Mark one is the standard all others are judged by.
    All citizens should have a high power rifle and a 22 pistol or a 22 rifle and a large bore handgun. Gots both. A man should not be without a 22, ever.

Forgot to add, I am seventythree. And enjoy every day. Is getting close to the day when I won't be here. No problem!!

Life is good

Boolit Master
    I jsut got a Buckmark Camper model 2 months ago, Its a sweet little pistol.
    My store had a deal going on the pistol 2 extra mags, a Browning soft zipper case, and it came
    with Marbles high-vis front sight and adjustable rear. all for 299$
    I put an ATI halo sight on it, them grouse are in trouble next fall

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 357reloading View Post
    I have a Glock 17L that I enjoy shooting , reload my own ammo. Have a strong desire to buy a Browning buckmark with the long barrel seven inches or so. Problem is I think about all the lead, primers and powder that could be purchased and say no to the purchase. 71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.
    NEED is not a factor, WANT is where it's at. Go for it.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Ruger 22?? Plastic lower?? Jerks!!

Ya know, it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've a short barrel MkI and a long barrel MkII...... Love them both. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's not just all about the Bang! (but not often
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

In Remembrance

Recalled from business

management course.

Need is the driving engine of communism!

Want is the driving engine of capitalism!

You know you want it. Get it!

Even a Browning is gooder than nuttin.

Life is good

Boolit Master

The only 22 pistol I own is the one my father killed his first Japanese soldier with. Have no use for them.

There is no 22 ammo that is cheaper than what I can cast/reload for.

I can reload for less than 22 recoil if I want.

I can't reload 22.

Waste of money, for me.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no reservations in recommending the Ruger.
    I shot a brick of Fed. hp's through mine yesterday. 100% flawless and super accurate.

Ben

Banned
    Hey let me tell you something i was supposed to go on a buff hunt in north dakota a few years back i passed the first year and my buddy who invited me had a stroke and died so i never got to go. If you want that pistol buy it now and never second guess it you never know when your number can come up i am only a few years younger than you i will never pass up an opportunity again. thats just my 2 cents live long and enjoy my friend.

Boolit Master

If you get one I doubt you will regret it. If you do regret it you can always trade it. Once in awhile it's nice to shoot something a little quieter. I think you'll enjoy it. FB

Boolit Master

71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.[/QUOTE]

CAN YOU TAKE THE MONEY WITH YOU GET THE 22 YOU LIKE
    AS LONG AS ITS A MARK 2#
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Leave your guns to a pro second ammendment organization to defend our rights.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

At the ripe young age of 71 I think that:

1) you deserve anything you can afford.
    2) you are joshing us all.......

Just go and buy one along with a case (not a brick) of ammo and go nuts enjoying yourself.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.