Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt

Boolit Bub

.45 Colt

Looking for a good powder for accuracy and velosity for my Ruger New Model Blackhawk stainless in .45 Colt, anyone have some good sugestions to share?

Boolit Master
    What bullet and how much velocity?

Don

45 Colt loads

As previously posted you need to specify what you are looking for. The original load of 40 grains of black powder with a +/- 250 grain soft lead bullet was and is a powerful load producing about 900 fps. You can easily reach this with a soft and usually .454 or so diameter 250 grain bullet and any fast to medium burning powder.

You can load the new model Blackhawk to much higher pressures and velocities. You will need to use cast boolits weighing at least 250 grains, usually water dropped WW or equivalent hardness, again usually at .454 diameter because of the largish throats in Rugers. 1000 to 1300+ fps is possible, but loading has to be done very carefully and intelligently. For these maximum loads only WW 296 or H110 will do. My favorite owner and accuracy loads features one of those powders and either 280 or 300 grain bullet at about 1150 fps out of the 4 5/8 Rugers

For some date for your Rugers check the Rugers and T/C only data in any loading manual or on Hogdons website.

I feel any jacketed bullet in a .357 or larger revolver is a waste of time and money. Velocity suffers and accuracy seems to be better on average with a properly hard and sized bullet.

Good Luck, study the manuals and don't believe anyone who tells you that you can load the Rugers new model Blackhawk to .44 Magnum pressures.

Boolit Bub
    I forgot to mention, 240 grain.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to use Unique but have switched to 10.0 AA#5 behind a 255gr boolit for my plinking/hog hunting load.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Stubshaf

Any velocities for that AA#5 Load?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use 10.5 of #105 surplus with a 290 gr group buy cast bullet in one. Gives around 850 fps. Shoots very well in the revolver and my Marlin 1894 CB.

I used to hot rod my 4 5/8 inch BH. Not any more, decided I don't need the elocity and those loads really weren't that fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

I like a 255gr bool it with 13.0gr HS-6. It does about 1050 fps in my Blackhawk. Not for flat tops eiher. That is a Ruger only too!

Boolit Buddy
    255 gr Lrnfp 8.0 grs unique, 6.0 grs red dot 8.0 grs powder pistol , 5.0 grs Trail boss

Do use the search feature, you will find many...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOrgan View Post
    .......again usually at .454 diameter because of the largish throats in Rugers.
    Rugers with large throats? NICE. My mid-90s BisHawk required throat honing from .448"-.449" to do good work with its .452" grooves. Good to read that Ruger no longer puts their pants on backwards.

You have an AWESOME 45 Colt revolver in that Ruger, as do I once I finished building it. I still like the old standby 9.0-10.0 grains of Unique underneath Lyman #454190 or # 454424 for all around good work.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I like a 255gr bool it with 13.0gr HS-6.
    +1. I also use 18.0gr of 2400 in my S&W 25-5.

Don

Boolit Master

Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I prefer Universal Clays for my max loads with a 250 grain cast RF. In my Colt clones I prefer Trail Boss max load. It is clean burning, accurate and almost impossible to double charge the case.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer Universal Clays for my max loads with a 250 grain cast RF. -lbaize3

I like it in a mild BP equivalent load as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by MattOrgan View Post
    As previously posted you need to specify what you are looking for. The original load of 40 grains of black powder with a +/- 250 grain soft lead bullet was and is a powerful load producing about 900 fps. You can easily reach this with a soft and usually .454 or so diameter 250 grain bullet and any fast to medium burning powder.

You can load the new model Blackhawk to much higher pressures and velocities. You will need to use cast boolits weighing at least 250 grains, usually water dropped WW or equivalent hardness, again usually at .454 diameter because of the largish throats in Rugers. 1000 to 1300+ fps is possible, but loading has to be done very carefully and intelligently. For these maximum loads only WW 296 or H110 will do. My favorite owner and accuracy loads features one of those powders and either 280 or 300 grain bullet at about 1150 fps out of the 4 5/8 Rugers

For some date for your Rugers check the Rugers and T/C only data in any loading manual or on Hogdons website.

I feel any jacketed bullet in a .357 or larger revolver is a waste of time and money. Velocity suffers and accuracy seems to be better on average with a properly hard and sized bullet.

Good Luck, study the manuals and don't believe anyone who tells you that you can load the Rugers new model Blackhawk to .44 Magnum pressures.

Not sure the 45 you are loading for. IF it is the new smaller frame Lipsey BH...

Didn't bother to slug mine. Pearce (Dec '11 Handloader) says that Ruger got it right and gun likes .452 sized bullets. Mine sure does.

Be careful - IF yours is the Lipsey, as mine is, you can NOT use the Ruger/T/C ONLY data! Remember, this gun (mine) is built on the smaller flattop frame. It will take the ~+P 45 Colt loads, but not the full house heavy Ruger/T/C Only loads. Again, refer to the Handloader article.

As well, I am simply casting the Lee 255 SWC, alloy of WW + 2% tin, and air cooled. Sizing in Lee push thru .452 sizer and tumble lubed with 45/45/10 lube.

Mine is shooting exceptionally well. Seems to like about all the loads I have tried - 2400, Unique, Power Pistol, HP-38... Nothing is shooting poorly.

Boolit Master
    I have the new vaquero and the measurements were all correct from the factory. 452 cyl, 4515 grove. ( did have to lap out the restriction under the threads )
    I shoot the lee 452-255 RF with 8.8 grains unique for 980 fps. With the Lyman 452-424 it takes
    9 grs to get to the same velocity. 1 cav of this mold is HP and weighs 245. It takes 10 grs and about 1070 fps to get this boolit to shoot to the sights
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

I guess I'm a wuss.
    I don't like heavy recoil when I'm doing target practice.
    I like 5.5g Titegroup with a 255g slug in my U.S. Firearms Rodeo.
    Somewhere around 750fps according to the load chart.
    AA#5 at 5.5g works real well too.

Boolit Buddy
    As good as W-296 and H-110 are for hot loads they are NOT the only powders that can safely do maximum loads and to state that is not correct information to share with noobies!

T-o-m

[QUOTE=MattOrgan;1549481].....1000 to 1300+ fps is possible, but loading has to be done very carefully and intelligently. For these maximum loads only WW 296 or H110 will do. [QUOTE]

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Old Goat Keeper;1573702]As good as W-296 and H-110 are for hot loads they are NOT the only powders that can safely do maximum loads and to state that is not correct information to share with noobies!

T-o-m

+1 I'm quite fond of 2400 with RCBS 45-255 SWC for top level Ruger & Contender loads in my wifes 7 1/2" BH.

Winelover