Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we shoot deer in the wild

Boolit Buddy

Very, very funny. A good read indeed.

Boolit Mold
    Haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The better half thought I'd choked on something,so she had to check it out too. Had tears in her eyes the whole time. Every time I picture it, I start chuckleing all over again. Good story!!

Boolit Master

I had my hands on a small buck whitetail once many years ago.
    Never have been so glad to let go of anything ever since.
    Fortunatly he didn't stick around and really whip the tar out of me.
    On a recent deer hunt with my grandson who is a state champion wrestler, a fawn walked between us as we hid about ten feet apart behind trees during a river bottom deer drive.
    Grandson said later if that deer had been a foot closer he would have taken it down.
    I tried to explain what a bad decision that would be, but was left with the impression that gramps was an ole fuddy duddy.
    Okay grandson, go ahead, grab a deer, bet you get a lot smarter real quick.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    HI,
    That was hilarious, as well as educational.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have a cousin that can tell you that you never want to rope a buffalo either.
    Good Gawd man,why did he try that!!??!
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Blessing View Post
    Good Gawd man,why did he try that!!??!
    LOL It was an old bull that was bad sick and weak enough they thought they could handle him to doctor it. It wasn't nowhere near as weak as they thought. The horse had to be put down and it was close to a year before he could walk again.

In Remembrance
    I got to watch a guy try to dog a buffalo calf (small) one time. That didn't work out as planned either, as you can't turn a buffalos neck and a good corral fence wont stop one either. lol

I noticed some scars on my friends belly and side one time and asked how he got them. He told me a few years ago a deer had been coming by his shed every day. His Old Lady remarked how pretty it was and he decided to impress her by catching it. About 6 in the evening he climbed up on the shed to wait for his deer. When it came by he jumped off on it's back and proceeded to put the deer in a headlock. This is when he learned how sharp a deers hooves can be and where his scars came from. Glad I got to learn secondhand rather than firsthand that deer hooves can cut like that.

Boolit Master
    I'm just lucky, I guess...
    While bowhunting, about 10 years ago, I let an arrow fly at a big Mulie doe. Just before I released the arrow the deer took one step forward, I followed with the sight pin, and let 'er fly. Unfortunately, I didn't see the stick that ended up deflecting the arrow up, and to the right. At first, I thought I had missed, but when I got to where the deer had been standing, there were a few drops of blood on the ground. I hiked over to the top of the ridge, where I had last seen her, and looked down into the draw. About 60 yards away, there was a patch of buck brush that was shaking and moving around, and it wasn't the wind! I approached the brush carefully, and could finally see that the deer was laying in the center of the bush - upside down, but with it's head twisted so that it's chin was facing the ground - and still breathing. There was an arrow sticking out both sides of her head, looking just like the old joke shop toys. Figuring that an arrow through the head was ultimately fatal, but not wanting the deer to suffer any longer than absolutely necessary, I put my bow and pack down, circled below the deer, drew my hunting knife from it's sheath, grabbed the front leg furthest away from me, and stabbed the deer in the neck to cut it's throat ------
    The next 30 minutes ( or maybe it was 10 seconds... ) is pretty much a blur of flying deer hooves, wildly swinging broadhead, and sliding backwards down the mountain. I still had my hunting knife in my right hand, and was not going to let go of that deer's leg for ANY reason! Not only because I didn't want it to get away, but more importantly, I didn't want to let it get to ME!!
    We came to a stop in another patch of brush, where I was able to pin the deer with the my body on top of the branches, and cut it's throat from ear to ear...
    and yes, I am glad there was no witness with a camera..........

By the way, did you know that there is an area right behind the deer's eyes, and below the ear, that you can put an arrow through and not hit anything vital????

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Joke:

"How do the Amish hunt deer?"
    "They find one, then build a barn around it."