Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Wal Mart stops handling lead WW?

Wal Mart stops handling lead WW?

While getting an oil change I asked at wal mart if they still didn't let people have used WW.

The guy checking me out said wal mart had quit handling lead WW.

And THIS is West Virginia, not Californika!

Y'r ol' Bud, Ficus
    NRA Endowment Member

Imagine the potential power of a worldwide network of people aligned
    with the vision of saving the world from the sociopaths currently in charge.

Boolit Bub
    I was informed by a shop owner here in Illinois that as of January 1st, a shop can be fined for using lead wheel weights. He gave me two boxes of unused, new in the box lead wheel weights and said I could find more info on the IL Gov pages.

I have a feeling this is being pushed everywhere soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know if it's true, but a tire shop manager in KY told me that all the states excepy WY had banned lead weights as of Jan 1.

http://www.leadfreewheels.org

It is state by state and this point. But, certain shops/store are doing it as well, if I remember right, Costco, Sams/Walmart, maybe Sears? Les Schwab Tire has been phasing them out for a few years now.

Boolit Grand Master

It doesn't matter if states individually ban lead weights. Some states already have and manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open for making weights. They'll switch everything to lead free so that they can sell to every state in the union.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It doesn't matter if states individually ban lead weights. Some states already have and manufacturers are not going to keep 2 lines open for making weights. They'll switch everything to lead free so that they can sell to every state in the union.
    Thats very true, just try buying a heating system brass circulator pump.
    Calli banned brass pumps, cause they have like 1% lead in the brass
    So the pump companies figured all the states would end up doing the same and completely stoped making brass ones at all.
    So now you have to buy stainless instead at like 3X the cost

Boolit Master

This explains why I was given two large boxes of shinny new wheel weights at my local farmer's CO-OP a couple of months ago, I live in Tn. I mentioned it here when this happened and while I was delighted with all this clean WW lead I was a bit puzzled at how it came to be. While picking up some farm items I just asked if they had any weights in the shop and he said he had a bunch he needed to get rid off, the"needed to get rid off" part sounded strange. When I backed my truck into the shop the guy at the tire rack loaded up a small bucket of tobacco chaw poisoned WWs and a couple of heavy cardboard boxes of brand new ones! I thought maybe he was just trying to be helpful? Actually I didn't know what to make of it but it all makes sense now.

In Utah, Wal Mart, Big "O", Discount tires, and Les Shawab have all quit using lead. The ones in my area won't even give you the old lead ones they remove. Claim they have to return them under some kind of contract.

I warned everyone two years ago when Kommifornia banned lead ww. That signaled the end of the cheap/free alloy for bullet casting. Give it a couple more years & there will be no more lead ww but those we have already socked away.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I warned everyone two years ago when Kommifornia banned lead ww. That signaled the end of the cheap/free alloy for bullet casting. Give it a couple more years & there will be no more lead ww but those we have already socked away.
    Sssh, I'm stocking as fast as I can!!!!

Ouch. I know how you feel cause we've had the ban for many years now.

Luckily I stocked "some" in advance and collected the used WW's even after the ban. First year the used WW's were still good old lead. Second year it was 60% lead, 40% zink. Now they are zink. So it'll take some time before the lead is out of the circulation.

Btw. Here the heavy vehicles ( busses, trucks, etc) are still allowed to have lead WW's. They are little harder to get, but those are nice 1/4, 1/2 and even 1 pound WW's..

Boolit Buddy
    I was told by my local sources that another year it will be hard to get . He is seeing more and more NON lead WW.

He didnt say if he was currently required to use non-lead or not.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like this is happening sooner than we think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZdp...e_gdata_player

Boolit Master

Junk yards, and better act quick!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Bub
    Time to design a re claim trap and when you're done shooting go down range to pickup your lead/target.

Boolit Grand Master

Less than a year ago I was called a greedy hoarder for gathering all the WW I could get.
    Well this greedy hoarder has over a ton in ingots, and those that called me names, are wanting me to share.
    Guess what, I'm still making the effort to find the last lead WW around. They trade for powder and primers, better than money.
    Last edited by mold maker; 01-29-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: SP