Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever lose your huntng medicine?

Did you ever lose your huntng medicine?

I don't know what else to call it. The feeling you get when you have hunted a patch of ground enough and your head is on straight enough that you can feel when and where the critters will be and he sights seem to steady themselves and the shot is like a poem.

That is how my hunting on the family land ususaaly is. But this year I lost it. I had my head filled with work, moving, and family conflicts. MY hunting became like a chore and I couldn't concentrate. I missed a 30 yard shot at a nice doe with a Ruger .44 that I had hit soda cans with at 100 yards at the range. I felt like I didn't belong there and should have been doing other things. Like I was being selfish for taking the time to hunt. One of the great loves of my life became a push to get a critter.

I'm not sure where I lost it. During bow season I got a nice doe and a turkey. The bow practically shot itself. Somethng changed along the way.

Have any of you ever expereinced this? How do you get it back?

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Sounds like you already have it figured out to me. You have to be at a a point where you feel like you have done a reasonable enough job of taking care of what needs to be done, and deserve some free time for hunting.

I spent what I felt after the fact was too much time in the woods the last year I hunted, and took a couple years off since then.

Boolit Master
    You got too much on your mind. By your post sounds like plenty. Don't push it. Go if you want and don't go if you don't want to. In time it will come back to you.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Slow down, take some time to do nothing but breathe! Not everything in life is about work, ambition, strife. Remember to take your natural state with you, gotta take medicine.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Banned

yea I've gone hunting like that a few times. I usually just start walking. Not hunting walking, just walking, enjoy the sights and maybe see something. Sure I have my gun with me and it's the season but I'm not out to get something I'm just out to get away.

Amazing sometimes how far I can walk and not know it. DOH! It's almost dark and I"m HOW FAR from the TRUCK! Suddenly I've forgot about a bunch of things that were bothering me.

I think I know what your talking about. Most of the time when I'm in the woods I forget about every thing. Some times when i take time off work I no I will be that much further behind when I go back and that is always in the back of my mind. Life is full of stress that's for sure. We all get through it one way or another. Hunting and shooting are a stress reliever for me most of the time.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master

I lost my huntn want to for several years. I guess we let life get in the way. Reckon its normal.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have days like that, that I know I may as well just go home within a few minutes of leaving the vehicle. It just doesn't feel right.
    Other days, I know I'm on my top game, and can kill something. Usually when it is raining or snowing, or way below cold. Follow your instincts, if your head isn't in the game on a particular day, go do something else until you feel it is time to hunt.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Life is short. Hunting season is a whole lot shorter. You'll focus better on work after you walk away from it for a few days. Sleep in a tent, brew coffee in a big blue pot, hang out by a fire with hunting buds, marvel at the stars and nature in general. Nothing like a few nights in a primitive camp and a few days good hunting to get things in the proper perspective.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I know exactly what you mean, when hunting becomes "why am I out here, I should be fixing the blank blank, or all you can think about is something that isn't going right at work or home" I reached a point where hunting became like a second job, then I had some health problems and I haven't gotten the bug back, I haven't been in the woods to hunt in over 12 years. I keep saying next year, but I just haven't gotten the urge back. Maybe next season ...

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I know that feeling too. I think mine has more to do w/liking to be w/the Mrs now.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

I have lost the will to hunt also. It has been 3 years since I have gone. I still don't know what happened. I have been hunting since I was 6 years old. By myself since I was 16 and able to drive. I am 40 now and I just cannot get myself to go. I lost a few friends that I used to hunt with. My old lady tells me I need to go kill something to make myself feel better, but I don't think that is it. I really enjoy shooting. Always have. If I loose interst in this, I know I will go get some help. For know, I will just shoot more.

Boolit Grand Master

tomme boy, at 40 you still have many good years of hunting to do. I'm at 60 and don't know if I can keep doing it physically.

Do it now while you can and enjoy it.

Banned

Thats one of the problems is I have a body of a 70 year old. Too many 4 wheelers, 3 wheelers, dirtbikes, motorcycles. Crashes and getting hit by a car on the bike, let alone to shot in the leg and stabbed in the arm. I am now paying for the good times I had in my youth.

Boolit Master
    For me, the last 2 years have felt like that, not because of head space issues, but discouragement that every time step out of the truck I see wolf tracks everywhere and no more deer

Boolit Master
    I agree with Blammer and TXGunNut. I have to get away and quit worrying 'bout "stuff" and love to walk through the woods and get close to nature. And of course, there's nothing like sleepin' in a tent and gettin' with buds over a nice campfire. It seems to rejuvinate my soul. Thumbcocker, you just need to let "loose" and get back to nature and don't worry 'bout anythin' and I'm sure your "medicine" will return. At least I hope it does. I haven't shot a deer since the early 80's and when I feel it's time to return to hunting, I will. As the old addage goes, "to thine own self be true". If you need a quick pick-me-up, go and read the post by Recluse about Ben, his young friend and the letter I got. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    This is how I have been feeling this past year while I have been dealing with this injury to my arm. I had to sit on the sidelines but even if I could go out with all this pain and not being able to tolerate keeping the arm in one place would probably not let me sit there. I also just really didn't feel like going out. But I do know what you mean, I was part of a hunting club for years and I got tired of covering the same ground over and over again. It seemed like I was getting bored. Not sure what it was though.

Boolit Grand Master

I can appreciate your feelings. I was down in the dumps and not having anything better to do I grabbed my Guide Gun and headed to a Ranch I do predator control on. I figured if nothing else I would just take a walk in the woods and get my mind straight. I followed an old riverbed for a couple of miles and sat down on a small pile of rocks to rest. I was just sitting there daydreaming when I heard the sound of rocks tumbling. I slowly turned to watch the riverbed and saw a small sounder of hogs working down the trail toward me. I sat motionless with the wind in my face and just watched them. After about five minutes they passed about six feet away from me. I raised my gun and aimed at a nice plump sow, lined my sights up and mouthed a silent "bang" then lowered my rifle slowly. They continued on their way never giving any indication that they saw me. I figured that hunting doesn't always have to be about killing. Got my medicine back that day.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Nice thread. It's good to know it's not just me.
    When I was a young man I watched my dad lose the will to hunt. To him it just didn't seem important that he bag the big buck. To me it was incomprehensible that he could feel that way.
    <
    That was twenty - no wait thirty - years ago or more, and these days I find that I understand how dad felt. I do still enjoy some time in the woods and the company of my old buddies, but it just doesn't seem to matter much if I bag that big buck.
    <
    If I've found any solution it's been to take a boy hunting. It still doesn't seem to matter if I score, but in the last few years I've seen my boy get his first deer, and his first buck, and his first trophy sized rack. I've watched him grow in knowledge and skill as a hunter and learn to be a "man among men" in the hunting group.
    <
    He's done well so far, done better in many areas than I did at his age, and I'm more proud and happy with that outcome than I could ever be with another deer.
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master
    I go deer hunting each year. This year I didn't get a shot. Didn't seem to even care. It is jus nice to be out in the woods, no work, no politics, no hustle and bustle of life. Just me and nature.
    I hunt to relax, I try not to take it to seriously. I don't want it to become work.

I haven't lost my mojo but my need to kill has diminished greatly. I suppose you could say I have matured.