Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Boolit Hog Cartridge List

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    are these small pigs or neck shots i've read the .223 was not enuff gun for larger pigs , what is your point of aim with lighter , smaller boolits i want to pig hunt , not good enuff with my 454 casull and my surplus rifles are too dang heavy , i want a quick follow up but that would be my unissued sks yugo , maybe i could trade it off for a nice russian sks , o that is another post
    Bob, It's been my experience that pigs are not anywhere near as hard to kill as the TV would have you believe. My 7 year old nephew just killed one late last summer with his daddy's AR-15 with cheap FMJs. I have seen, not just heard of, hogs taken with handguns, rifles, and shotguns running the range from .22LR, to 9mm pistol, to 12 gauge. I think like anything else, shot placement is more critical than anything. I have shot them in textbook heart-lung shots and they ran 50 yards or more. And I have shot them in the head from 100yds and they dropped like a sack of taters.

Armorer

This past deer season, took one with my Mauser in .308 with a 311165 RFHP. He was too big to eat. Made nice coyote bait for my Mrs and her .243 though.

The one in my avatar is with a 444 got a couple with a 45-70 (with one shot), 35 whelen, 358 win, 35 Rem, 458 socom, 00 buck and a 9mm used to dispatch a wounded charging hog,
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Grand Master

My last piggie fell to a 7 1/2 inch OMSBH in 44 mag with the RCBS 300 gr HP'd by Erik. On the same hunt Glen Fryxell took one with a 40-50 Sharps Straight in a 10" T/C Contender using an Erik modified to HP Ideal #403149.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I've only killed one. On a paid hunt in Idaho.
    30-30 with a (gasp) j-word before I started casting.

Boolit Buddy
    7.62x54r using Lyman #314299 sized and gas check seated w/ Lee .314" sizer. I believe the load was 28 grains H4895. Accuracy was nothing to write home about (barrel slugs out to .313"), but it did the job.

Boolit Buddy
    Feral pigs have moved from northern California up into Oregon finally. I should go to the state and see if they have any plans for letting the good citizens try and control them. Like the good liberals they are, they will probably let the situation get to crisis proportions before they allow any hunting. Might point out that hunting them here will be real tough with the heavy brush.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

5, 200 LB feeder pigs with a 22 LR rifle. Right in the middle tween the eyes and ears...up close.

338-06 for a neighbors oinker that got out and couldn't be caught. 225 Barnes X just smeared him. His nose was on the ground and the bullet went in between the eyes, out the neck and it almost severd its right front leg, save for a peice of skin.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    I killed one with my Colt Govt model and an old Ohaus 452-189 button nose wadcutter. The hog weighed about 95lbs.

G

Swine is fine....

Linebaugh .38-40 sixgun w/ a 200gr LFNGC. Thumped her good. Update: I did not mention I have taken them with a .480 ruger, a .475Linbaugh, and a .410GNR as well.

Last edited by Gundawg; 02-08-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BPCR Bill View Post
    Feral pigs have moved from northern California up into Oregon finally. I should go to the state and see if they have any plans for letting the good citizens try and control them. Like the good liberals they are, they will probably let the situation get to crisis proportions before they allow any hunting. Might point out that hunting them here will be real tough with the heavy brush.
    If you care to check it out you'll find there's basically no restrictions on hunting feral pigs in Oregon. ODFW would rather they were all taken out!

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...ng/small_game/

Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    .950jdj........
    Jeff, I guess you can't wait for your pork sausage.
    You may have to pick the bone out of your sausage.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorer View Post
    This past deer season, took one with my Mauser in .308 with a 311165 RFHP. He was too big to eat. Made nice coyote bait for my Mrs and her .243 though.
    too big to eat do they get tough or musky ? and what is a good size ?
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by badbobgerman View Post
    too big to eat do they get tough or musky ? and what is a good size ?
    My biggest pig was about 250 pounds. As it was explained to me when they get much over around 300 pounds they start to get fatty and greasy. But I cannot say that from experience, just what I was told by a long time slayer of porky's.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

too big to eat do they get tough or musky ? and what is a good size ?- badbobgerman

I make sausage out of boars starting about 150 or so because they're too tough for much else. Much over 200 and a boar can be a bit too rank to eat, biggest boar that's made it to my freezer lately was about 250 (that's 400 TV lbs ). Made a mistake processing a huge boar once, got about 200 lbs of sausage I couldn't eat. If you take a big step back when you're dressing him, keep on walking. Sows are usually better but either sex can be pretty nasty depending on diet & other factors.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Nah, just teasing you guys. The .950JDJ is Jim's new 'coon' rifle.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Add 2 to the list. One porkie with a Marlin in 375W...bang...flop. Second with a Marlin Cowboy rifle in 38-55...bang...flop also. First bout 150 liveweight and the second bout 90 pounds. Both excellent eating!

T-o-m

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Nah, just teasing you guys. The .950JDJ is Jim's new 'coon' rifle.
    Wow Jeff, we need some coons up here like that, could use them to control the grizzly population.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Nah, just teasing you guys. The .950JDJ is Jim's new 'coon' rifle.-Jeff

Need the alloy recipe....do you skim out the clips or leave them in?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

ill have to shoot the smaller ones for better eating i guess.. thanks, ive never shot any yet .think ill use a sks for kill shots, and a quick follow up if things get angry .. he he
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368