Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally after 2 years.

Boolit Master

Finally after 2 years.

A number of years ago I bought an 8MM Swedish roller with the idea of re barreling it for a hunting rifle in 40-65, a barrel I already had. Two years ago I got a stock from Treebone and fitted the butt plate and then dinked around with it off and on for the last couple years. Finally this weekend I bead blasted it and blued it. Tonight I rubbed out the stock with rottenstone for a matte finish and assembled it.
    I have a lighter trigger spring on the way and I'm going to put a Marble's tang hunting sight on it and maybe an ivory bead front.

Bob
    Last edited by Boz330; 08-28-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow that is some awesome looking wood. Why did you wait so long? I would be chomping at the bit to get rifle that gorgeouse ready.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Looks great Bob!
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Very nice Bob! Beautiful wood.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub

40-65

Bob...........that's a really great job on your roller!!!!!!!!!! Your welcome to bring it out
    and hammer P-dogs with me and my Sharps 40-65.............I got a tentative buffalo hunt with the state as me seniority number is 28 on the drawing but I'm sitting next to a pile of 400 gr. Lyman 410655 bullets for my hunt.........You can really do a lot with a 40-65 from P-dogs with 210 gr pistol bullets to Looooong 400 gr bullets that will blow through about anything running on this hemisphere .................

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Ron View Post
    Bob...........that's a really great job on your roller!!!!!!!!!! Your welcome to bring it out
    and hammer P-dogs with me and my Sharps 40-65.............I got a tentative buffalo hunt with the state as me seniority number is 28 on the drawing but I'm sitting next to a pile of 400 gr. Lyman 410655 bullets for my hunt.........You can really do a lot with a 40-65 from P-dogs with 210 gr pistol bullets to Looooong 400 gr bullets that will blow through about anything running on this hemisphere .................
    Ron I'm not sure I could see a prairie dog to hit him, in my youth maybe. Please post pics of your buffalo hunt when you take it. I would love to draw an elk tag here in KY to try this out on. But it is probably going to be primarily a deer rifle. The barrel that is on it has accounted for several already.

The wood on this rifle was 1 upgrade from standard from Treebone. I was really impressed and the guy took care of me really well I thought. It is curly maple.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    George at Treebone is a great guy! He's done stock work for me in the past. Nice job on that Roller! It looks sweet!
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master
    beautiful work...congrats....should be a fun cartridge

Banned
    I have lightend trigger pull by way more than half by:
    Thinning the trigger spring to a triangle from the back to a point at the front.
    Thinning the hammer spring to 1/3'rd at the tip.

Use bare fingers when sanding to avoid high temps and annealing of the springs while sanding.

Boolit Master

Thanks CT. I will try that on the hammer spring since the after market trigger springs are already on order. The trigger pull on this rifle is stout but doesn't seem all that bad since it is reasonably crisp. I'm sure others will be able to use that info as well.

Bob

Banned
    Glad to of service sir!

I would be a little cautious softening he hammer spring to much on a roller. To much of a chance for it to unlock the breach and have the case come back at you.

Boolit Master
    Ditto what lead pot said on hammer spring....just do the trigger return spring...or use piano wire for the trigger return spring.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Banned
    And have you never noted that when the hammer has moved no more than some 100's of an inch it is under the block and locking it into place?
    That is the basic idea and genious of a RB.

1) Hammer at full cock, block can move freely

2) hammer at full cock and block in closed position. Note the small gap the hammer has to bridge before it will hold the block in a closed position!

3) Hammer travelling forward and effectivly locking the block in a closed position

Please Mr. Lead pot explain why lightening the hammer spring would interfere with the hammer locking the block in place way before the hammer has a chance to hit the firing pin and set of the primer of?

Simple , if the hammer spring gets to weak there's a chance that the hammer will rebound from the breechblock and under recoil actually come back far enough to let the breech open up.
    It happened to at least one Pedersoli roller just a couple years ago during a bpcr shoot, and in the Sharps catalogs was one of the selling points and was given testimony of the very same happening by satisfied Sharps customers, who proudly proclaimed their rifles " Never shot backwards".

Banned
    I only do originals i dont do copies.
    And i have tried to thin the spring more but no bang.
    So i really dont see how the spring back could occur, please enlighten me with some facts or link to the actual story.
    I dont give much for hersay and urban legends!

I bet the Pedersoli hammer spring snapped for it to happen at all.
    But maybe hearsay is way better than actual facts in a good story.

No the pederosli spring did not snap.
    And you'ld have to go get your own copies of the Sharps catalogs from the 1870's. The 1877 in particular has letters from 2 individuals at 2 different locations that barely escaped injury when a Remington "shot backwards".

How about the firing pin coming back especially if a primer is deep in the cup and gets slammed back against the pin driving the hammer back that has a week spring?
    Excess head space and a hard primer like the Wolf primer driving back against the pin?
    Last edited by Lead pot; 01-18-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Boz that is a great looking rifle. Hope to see you at the line in Friendship in the spring.

( side note : Don't know if you heard but our range officer George passed on Tue morning. George was 86)

Pete

ill say this....its always interesting here!

also im sorry to hear about another old timer passing. my deepest felt sorrow for the family and friends. god bless