WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Air cylinder question

Boolit Grand Master

Air cylinder question

Got the cylinder on the sizer. Understand getting air in and adjusting the pressure.

How the heck do you receive the pressure so you can retract the Latin and add lube? Is this just an open that allows the pressure in the piston assembly to bleed off when the hose is disconnected?

How much pressure you guys running? I plan to use more pressure, less heat. I find heat makes things get messy fast.

Boolit Master
    Your cylinder should have threaded opening at both ends. The one at the end opposite the pushrod is the on to apply pressure to the lube. The threaded opening at the pushrod end is where you apply air pressure to retract the rod so you can remove and add lube. I use a blow gun with a rubber tip. I disconnect the air from the cylinder and hook it up to the blow gun and it retracts the cylinder real quick. Hope thats what you were asking. Good luck!! PS I run more pressure than heat too. Rod

After disconnecting the air line to the regulator on the cylinder (quick disconnect), the pressure is relieved. I then simply unscrew the assembly from the Star assembly. When out, I push the ram back into the cylinder.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

air cylinder

You may use the method that cheese posted or the one posted by rodsvet.
    I simply unhook the hose and loosen the nut and after it's all the way off just pull up on cylinder. It's fast and easy but either way is correct.
    If your not using a air tank for your air supply then you are listening to the air compressor and you don't have to.
    The Star only uses the pressure and not the air. I have used the same air tank for over 6 months.
    The air pressure that I use is 90 PSI but there are variables to this and it can't be used as a standard. The viscosity of your lube, the bullet design, and the amount of lube required to fill the lube grooves.
    I shoot BP and my bullet design requires that I use a higher pressure to force the lube into the grooves.
    I think that it's much easier and cleaner to raise your air pressure than to have the lube too hot from using the heater.
    I myself think that a lot of shooters are using the wrong lube for the type of shooting done.
    The commercial bullet makes use the hard lubes so that they don't migrate from the bullets grooves and may be handled with out getting sticky hands.
    Too hard a lube could cause you to have leading problems also. IMHO David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I use Lar's Carnauba Red in mine. I set mine at 120 degrees on the PID and pressure at 30psi.

My bad! I actually use Magma Hard Lube in mine!!! Sorry!
    Last edited by cheese1566; 01-01-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Don't forget to wipe a little vasoline on the hicard washer. It will help keep things working right.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy

Carnauba Red

Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post

I use Lar's Carnauba Red in mine. I set mine at 120 degrees on the PID and pressure at 30psi.
    Cheese1566,

I have Carnauba red in my Star and I have had problems with it at 120 deg F. But I don’t have an air cylinder on it yet. I did try a run of it in my Lube Master and what a mess I had on my hands. I had to lower the temp to about 90degand drop the air pressure to about 35 in order to get it to work. At that point, I decided to only use it in the Star sizer.

How do you like it verses the hard lubes, do you see a difference in handgun loads verses Rifle?

V/R

Jeff
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Don't forget to wipe a little vasoline on the hicard washer. It will help keep things working right.
    OK, so what is a "hicard washer"?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master
    The hicard washer is the nylon washer on the bottom of the piston that contacts the lube and scrapes along the inside of the lube tube. Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Powersgt View Post
    Cheese1566,

I have Carnauba red in my Star and I have had problems with it at 120 deg F. But I don’t have an air cylinder on it yet. I did try a run of it in my Lube Master and what a mess I had on my hands. I had to lower the temp to about 90degand drop the air pressure to about 35 in order to get it to work. At that point, I decided to only use it in the Star sizer.

How do you like it verses the hard lubes, do you see a difference in handgun loads verses Rifle?

V/R

Jeff
    Sorry, now that you bring it up, I use Magma Hard Lube in my Star at those settings.
    I do however use Lar's Red Carn at 115 degrees in my RCBS LAM with a PID.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    The hicard washer is the nylon washer on the bottom of the piston that contacts the lube and scrapes along the inside of the lube tube. Rod
    Thanks!
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Grand Master
    Got to really try it out last night. Sized and lubed about 1300 200 swc for 45 ACP.
    The air made it so much easier. Not dots of line on the nose. No empty spots in the lube groove. No messing with the pressure screw.

I ended up at about 110 degrees, approximated, and 70 lbs of pressure. Once the lube got warm it was off to the races. This was with MML for a lube.

I am soooo glad I got this thing. The air cylinder is worth the money.

Cat's meow isn't!

Now you need a roller handle if you don't have one already.

(I tried a bullet feeder, but too much hassle for me. I sold it to someone who appreciates it more.)

Keep in mind that you can take an eye out pulling the piston out to add a stick of lube. Someone had posted a video of his near miss. Looked painful.

Sent via tapatalk on the Yugo of droids.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cut the side of my nose and posted a photo here so yeah, I know.

The air cylinder is actually less likely to have that happen, it is tall enough that you can't bend over the top of it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Star

If you use common sense then pulling the cylinder by hand is very easy. Those who punch themselves in the eye are the same people that get scope eye.
    I've used Stars since 1970 and have never even had a close call like the information posted. It maybe because when pulling it out I use a slow steady pull and not a heavy jerk. Oh and I also have my head to the rear!!
    For those who are not able to perform a easy task then you may just put a fitting on your air line that has a cone shaped piece of rubber on the end of the air handle.
    You put this in the bottom air hole and squeeze the trigger. This will push the hycar washer to the up position.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxah View Post
    Keep in mind that you can take an eye out pulling the piston out to add a stick of lube.
    Ever used the air cylinder in a Star?

Simply disconnect the air line, unscrew the nut and use one hand to gently & easily lift it out.

While doing this if you use a screwdriver and the other hand to poke yourself in the eye . . . Well, could be a problem.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Ever used the air cylinder in a Star?

Simply disconnect the air line, unscrew the nut and use one hand to gently & easily lift it out.

While doing this if you use a screwdriver and the other hand to poke yourself in the eye . . . Well, could be a problem.

Rick
    Lol. I do have the air cylinder on my stars and have both eyes. I haven't been able to use them since last February though but now it's game on.

Sent via tapatalk on the Yugo of droids.
    Lighten up, life is too short.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    If you use common sense then pulling the cylinder by hand is very easy. Those who punch themselves in the eye are the same people that get scope eye.
    I've used Stars since 1970 and have never even had a close call like the information posted. It maybe because when pulling it out I use a slow steady pull and not a heavy jerk. Oh and I also have my head to the rear!!
    For those who are not able to perform a easy task then you may just put a fitting on your air line that has a cone shaped piece of rubber on the end of the air handle.
    You put this in the bottom air hole and squeeze the trigger. This will push the hycar washer to the up position.
    Cajun

Your tip is a good idea that is so simple I would not have thunk it. I will do this next time.

Bliksem

Boolit Grand Master
    When I got my nose I wasn't using the air cylinder. I was pulling the pressure spring and hycar washer assembly out by hand.
    I don't see how it could happen with the air fees.