Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: First Cast Bullet Deer

Boolit Mold

First Cast Bullet Deer

This was my first and only, so far. I am the kinda guy that works to get firsts and then it is on to the next first. It is limiting sometimes but that is part of the fun for me. This deer was taken on a little 18 acre plot at about 30-40 yds. Beartooth 290 gr. LFNGC. I was still trying to get that 1894 to shoot little groups with cast bullets and this bullet was minute of deer. It did not earn me a high ranking in the RDPM that year but it did bring home the bacon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deer2006LuLuLand10-26.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Cool! Always nice to step "out of the box" once in a while. Look at Ranch Dog's molds for leverguns. That is close to the same profile as you are using and they are made to fit. And a nice young tender deer like that DOES make the record book around here. "The fastest deer ever eaten" record is always in jeapordy! Or maybe "The most deer consumed with biscuits and gravy".
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Nothing wrong with "minute of deer". You cant eat antlers so it looks good to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chief RID View Post
    This was my first and only, so far. I am the kinda guy that works to get firsts and then it is on to the next first. It is limiting sometimes but that is part of the fun for me. This deer was taken on a little 18 acre plot at about 30-40 yds. Beartooth 290 gr. LFNGC. I was still trying to get that 1894 to shoot little groups with cast bullets and this bullet was minute of deer. It did not earn me a high ranking in the RDPM that year but it did bring home the bacon.
    Nice deer, congrats! You just gotta love a '94 Winchester.

Did you mis type that bullet weight (290 grains)? If not, I assume the rifle is a .375 and not a .30-30?

Boolit Grand Master

Nice deer, indeed. I'm a guest on a management hunt at the moment so I'm only looking to shoot spikes & does. Have a nice big spike in my Igloo at the moment, have room for a pig or doe if the opportunity comes up soon. My sausage recipe doesn't mention horns and I don't have the money for a taxidermist these days anyway.
    I'm thinking 190,\ for 30-30, rich. 290 a bit heavy for the 375 but I don't load CB's for mine. Hate to say it but I was hoping for a better picture of the rifle, right handsome from what we can see.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 12-30-2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Cast Hunter

Congrats! I believe thats at least the 2nd SC deer reported here this week.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Bub
    Nice! I'm gunna take a guess..that a .44? There a little spur on the lever there? Marlin?

Very nice deer I've shot a few deer with my cast bullets. This is my second year casting and shooting them It's nice to harvest a deer with homemade bullets

Chief,

Congratulations on the fine, cast bullet buck. Looks to me that you broke some shoulder bones. No tracking I assume which is perfect. Is that a 44 Mag.?

I have shot more deer with cast projectiles from my 54 flintlock than centerfire rifles but all are very satisfying.

Happy New Year,
    Frank
    "He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
    Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
    PRPA, Annual member

Boolit Master

Nice one. I'm a meat hunter too. You are probably already enjoying those back straps. Hummmm good.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry about the slow replies. I just figured out that I am not subscribed to threads just because I post them. That is a 44 mag Marlin 1894 20 inch. It's got an Ashley ghost ring and front post. It would not shoot the 290s very well out beyond about 80 yds but it shoot the Beartooth 250 LFNGC in about 4 inches out at 100 yds. Inside 2 inches at 50 yds. He made a semicircle and ended up about 20 yds after the shot. He has been recycled already.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for telling us the rest of the story, I like hearing about the rifles and loads too. Very nice.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.