MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My PID finally done.

A pid is in my plans. I need to see what parts I can scrounge instead of buying. I have some roached computer power supplies for the box, cooling fan, power supply cord and output receptacle. Is there any other parts one might find in "junk" TV's, microwaves, computers etc?

I have a Lyman 20lb pot that looks like the rcbs pot in post 3. I would almost swear they are the same pot with different paint. I also have a Lee 20 lb to feed the Lyman. It would be nice if the pid would control both pots at once. Is it possible to have one pid unit control two or more appliances?

I cast pretty good boolits and am kinda proud of them. Like other pots mine get hotter as the level decreases.I fidgit with the knob and believe I have the "feel" to keep it fine tuned enough to make my boolits consistent. (ya right) It will be much easier to have a pid keep my alloy within a couple degrees.

What are you'alls opinion as to the need for a pid control for the top pot that feeds the lower pot?
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Banned
    I did some checking not only on Ebay but also @ McMaster-Carr & I didn't see any PID's that would control more than one pot.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    For multiple operations, there are custom boards for home computers. These boards, devices, et.al. are called collectively SCADA equipment. There are specialized programs to make these boards execute. The PID operations are nothing but software running on either the PC or the SCADA board. Most boards allow for 8 devices (pots,pans,kitchensink). ... felix
    felix

Boolit Bub
    Great thread - but now unfortunately I have to build one! Are the plans and parts list the same as the ones posted in the stickies?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cr17 View Post
    Great thread - but now unfortunately I have to build one! Are the plans and parts list the same as the ones posted in the stickies?
    Yea, pretty much. You can always ask these guys for help.

Pid

I just joined Cast Boolits a couple weeks ago, but have been casting boolits for over 30 years. I am facinated about this PID. I don't even know what the letters stand for. Is there a detailed blueprint out there with specific part numbers to build one of these things? I own a Lyman 20 lb. pot that I've had for at least 20 years and know that the thermostat has weakened over the years. I use a Lyman thermometer, which helps, but it would be nice to have accurate control over the temperature. Is the themostat removed from the pot and the heating element conected to the PID? What specific thermocouple is needed? If anyone has a link I could look at, I would really appreciate it.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I used this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34547 to order the stuff and wire mine up.

I left my thermostat at wide open, since the pot plugs into the PID and it controlls when the plug is on or off. The specifics for what thermocouple and all other parts are listed in the thread.

I sure don't regret building mine, it manages one of the hardest variables in casting boolits without a second glance. All the stuff was under $100 since I scrounged a box to house it all...used an old computer power supply and I had a heavy duty short extension cord hanging around.