Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many Gun Owners Actually Re-Load/cast?

Boolit Master
    From what I've seen, I'd say about 15% of shooters around here reload, but maybe 5% of those reloaders cast or swage their own boolits. The folks here are preserving a dying art, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Boolit Grand Master
    have bought Dies and bullets before I even owned the rifle to shoot them out of
    have not bought a bullet (ammo)in years
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Virtually all who shoot cast boolits, reload. That would include just about all who are members of the forum. OF the shooters I know personally, those who shoot centerfire, whether cast or not reload.

I know of one guy only who buys and shoots factory ammo and have got a lot of brass from him.
    He shoots 9mm and .38 almost exclusively.

The others fellows shoot .22 rimfire exclusively.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    have bought Dies and bullets before I even owned the rifle to shoot them out of
    have not bought a bullet (ammo)in years
    +1 Amen brother! Since I started hand loading in 1970, I guess I've bought less than 200 rounds of pistol ammunition. And that was for the sole reason of having factory for the guns I carry or keep on the night stands. I swap that out about every five years or so.

Boolit Master

I would have to think that the 2% of the 5% of reloaders is close. I shoot quite a bit at the local range in Phoenix, Ben Avery, and in the last couple of years I have only run into one guy that casts his own. He knew of this web site and has been here quite a bit. I know guys that shoot between 400 to 500 rounds a week that shoot cast, but don't cast themselves. I was told that just reloading, even on a Dillon, was time consuming. They didn't have time cast, reload, and shoot.

I can relate. I find I have a lot more time to cast and reload than I have time shoot!! Casting and reloading I can do anytime, despite the weather or time day. It's tough to get range time with a five year old and a 1 year old and full time job. I can cast and reload as time permits.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Most of the shooters at the sportsman club I belong to reload.
    But I've only run into 1 or 2 who cast.
    They say they don't shoot enough to justify the money and time in casting.

I usually tell them if they start casting they can shoot more.
    AND they will save money by casting their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    I would have to think that the 2% of the 5% of reloaders is close.
    That is about what I have found also. I have a friend that I go to the range with once in a while and he shoots nothing but factory stuff. The benefit is that I get to keep the brass afterwards. They have a 45 gallon barrel to put brass in at the range and it is always full of good hard to find brass for the taking.

The club I go to has over 1000 members now and at the last general meeting I had some of my surplus bullet molds on a table to sell and I only had one guy come up and buy a mold and about maybe 10 others out of about 400 members that kind of just looked at the molds and wondered what they were for.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Bub
    I wish I belong to a shooting club but the dues are way too high for a man on fixed income.any you fellas go that wont reload send them here. I like to collect old mil rifles mostly bolt actions. so most the brass is very hard to find. I have collected a large amount of bullet molds over the yrs and 99 % of all my shooting is cast bullets. I am not a fan of max fps. just hunt and punch paper with these old war horses.
    Don

Banned
    First I want to say that this is a great site! I've already gleaned a bunch of information that I probably wouldn't have ever known had it not been for this site. Some info I learned the hard way prior to learning the easier method.
    I've been reloading for about 15-20 years or so. I started small with a handpress from Lee that I carried to work. I was there for 24 hours at a time, and during those "Down Times" learned the basics. I didn't cast back then. Since I've retired and have one grandson that is a shooting machine (I created a monster!), I have come to appreciate casting. I currently work part-time delivering autoparts which has side benefits. My customers know I collect WWs for "Fishin'weights". Be that 9, 357, 40, 44, or 45 fishin'weights. I did run into an interesting twist on this by finding an article on swaged bullets. Of those of us that do cast, how many swage jacketed bullets?? 500-1000 ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking everyone thinks and does the way we do. Just because I cast and reload doesn't mean all shooters do. I try my best to always remember that. Many gun owners are just that, gun owners. They are not shooters per se.

I drive a car but I am no far junky or gear head. They are a tool to me. I think most gun owners feel the same way.

Many of us shoot more in 1 year than many gun owners will in their entire lifetime.
    Good point. Another trap that's easy to fall into is thinking that most gun owners are safe and conciencious (sp?). Many are not, but most true handloaders that I've met are.

Here's another twist: Of the gun owners out there, few reload. Even fewer handload. Even fewer cast and shoot their own boolits. Now what percentage of boolit casters swage their own or make their own paper jackets?

Gear

Boolit Master
    I started casting in the early 70's and started my cast boolit business in the mid 80's for IPSC shooters. At least twenty guys traded me moulds and casting equipment for boolits.

Casting can be time consuming and they would rather buy boolits than expend time casting them. Especially white collar guys. If five out of a hundred shooters cast thier own, I would be suprised!

I have several Lyman, RCBS, Lachmiller, Lee and NEI moulds I've taken in trade over the last twenty odd years that I have never cast with and even forgot I had!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Master

I have been reloading for more than 40 years, casting my own bullets for more than 30 years. I am not sure how much a shoot a year, warmer months it could be a 500 to 600 a week. Maybe 300 rounds of shotshells. Winter maybe 100 to 200 metallic shells. Then hunting season, total for hunting seasons is a couple of boxes of ammo and a couple of box of shotshells.

But I cast for myself, my girlfriend and my brother. My GF sorts and sizes my cast bullets, my brother just buys me the stuff I need in exchange for some of my cast bullets.

If it wasn't for my farm, I would get more shooting done.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I can only think of two people that I know who reload, and they don't cast their own. I can't afford to buy factory ammo which is why I started making my own.

Boolit Master

I forgot

Merry Christmas, may you find a new rifle or pistol under your tree and a new Dillon 650 press.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

I would say vrey, very few. I am always amazed at the volumn of brass I see every weekend @ one of the clubs I shoot IDPA. Just 1000s of pieces laying around. Maybe 10% of the shooters are reloaders & these are serious pistol shooters, not the casual gun owner.

I started casting so I could shoot more.At the three gun shoots I attend only one other guy casts,but more than 3/4 reload.After casting for just over a year,Im still learnin.Thanks to all for the help,and Merry X-mas to ALL.

Boolit Bub
    Most shooters I know do not reload and buy factory ammo. It seems that more people are starting to reload and are finding cast bullets are the economical way to go.

I have been reloading for 7 years myself and am just starting to get into casting my own. Just got a shop that I can work in instead of an apt which really helps. Up till now bulk pack cast bullets from Missouri Bullet Company or Oregon Trail bullets have been the way to go.

Boolit Master

When I finally went for my CCW permit there was some concerns on useing handloads ,but instructor congratulated me on my ammo afterwards , & said there`s very few that reload or cast there own that went thru his class.

I`d hate to know I was dependant on a goverment controlled industry to deliver my ammo !!!
    GP100man

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    About ten years ago...I was told by the Ruger Rep at the Arizona plant that Ruger figured that their handguns, on average, only had 1000 thousand rounds fired through them in their lifetime...
    Hmmm...I put at least that many rounds through my original .357 BH the first year I owned it and that was 1964.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

the gun club I belong to is small, about 300 members and some of those members ( maybe 50) are primarily shotgun shooters. Of those that shoot pistol and rifle there are ony 2 of us who cast and shoot cast boolits !