WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Rolling Block

Post Rolling Block

Today dissassmbled my rolling block and cleaned it and tried to clean the bore,I preformed the bullet test and the last inch ad half of the barrel is without rifling I know it is from cleaning rods. I am needing were I can get a new barrel in 45/70 for it. Or get it counter bore it my self. It is Model 5 in 7x57. Because I dont want to get rid of the rifle.

You might also consider having it rebored to a larger caliber. Of course it would be a handloading only deal since you have to respect the pressure limits of the original rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have one in a carbine, barrel a little past good. Have been working out 45-70 tube, cannot see happening less than four bills on a round tube. Four cuts to install, thread, radius cut for pin, and two set ups for extractor cuts. Unless you know someone close who will do this it ain't cheap! If you like the 7mm I would have barrel removed and countered, not really a big deal. I want another big hole in the stable so I am working that road. Gtek

I had an 8x57 Mauser once that somebody counterbored at the muzzle. Didn't shoot worth a hoot.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I would suggest replacing it with a new barrel. If it is worth keeping, spend the money and get it done right.

Post Rolling Block

No the rifle has not been bubbafied. I have not shot the rifle yet. I am going to shot the rifle this week I will using S@B ammo in it. I have two krags that there is no rifling in the end of the barrel that still shoot very good. Will see how it shoots before I go any deeper into it. Will keep everyone posted. I only 200 for the rifle.

Super Moderator

...............The Rem RB #5 Sporters are pretty rare birds. It might be worth your while to seriously check around a bit and find out what it might be worth. That is if it's all original and isn't beat up, and is a REAL # 5 Sporter. What markings are on the tang? What is the barrel length and markings (if any) on the barrel? Does yours have provisions for a bayonet or cleaning rod? If it won't bring much more then a re-barrel job, and I figure it will, then I'd rebarrel it to the same 7x57 chambering, and go on shooting it. Some quick checking:

Guns Int'l says #5, but shows a 30" bbl military, price listed $899

http://www.gunsamerica.com/960518479...BLOCK_No_5.htm Half stock sporter, 7x57 Price listed @ $2,299

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/originalparts.htm : We have a nice original barrel for each of the following: #5 carbine 7mm, 1910 rifle 7mm, 8x58R Sporting Model, 1867 Navy Carbine, 1897 Rifle 7mm. POR

A few other places are calling M1897 through M1910 Rem RB's a #5.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    As buckshot said.. check the value of the rifle in original condition before you go and rebarrel it..

This is the biggest mistake i have seen many people do, they have aquired what they believe to be a cheap ****ter old rifle that they are going to do up, and when they do they find that it was worth more in its old configuration with the rust pits and lack of rifling than it is now with its shiny new finish and brand new barrel...

i almost made the mistake myself, picked up a Martini 20" carbine model for my 45-70 build, turns out it was all original NZ-marked with the original bayonet, quite hard to find, selling the rifle as it was paid for a bare martini receiver *AND* the barrel for a rebarrel job..

I am of course mentioning this because Rolling Blocks are actually respectably expensive this side of the planet, so do a bit of research before you try and monkey wrench that barrel out :P

Boolit Master

I have a #5 and I have bought parts from
    http://www.rollingblockparts.com/originalparts.htm

I agree, try the rifle first before you replace the barrel

If it's a sow's ear instead of a silk purse, the 7x57 bbl can just be shortened & recrowned to get rid of the worn patch - unless it's at the chamber end/throat, of course.

AFTER, testing, as above. .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Try 36 gr of 4064 under a Hornady 175 JRN. This is mild and VERY accurate in my
    #5 7x57 RB. Like 1" at 100 with stock sights and a very dodgy looking barrel.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.