RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Which case tumbler would you recommend?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • RCBS $79.99

8 15.09%
  • Hornady M-2 $69.99

3 5.66%
  • Lyman turbo 1200 pro $49.97

23 43.40%
  • Lyman 1200 auto flo $84.99

6 11.32%
  • Lyman twin turbo $67.99

3 5.66%
  • Lyman 2500 pro mag turbo $89.99

10 18.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which case tumbler would you recomend?

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post

I'd buy whatever's cheapest.

With 2 Rolse Royces in the drive and a copy of Donald Trumps 757 parked on the runway behind the back door do you really expect us to believe you?

The devil made me type that
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Lyman turbo 1200 pro. It does quite well but is very noisy. I'd like to try out one of the ultrasonic case cleaners hornady and lyman put out but i really have no need for one and always end up buying something else

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 50-170-700 sharps View Post
    I have a Lyman turbo 1200 pro. It does quite well but is very noisy. I'd like to try out one of the ultrasonic case cleaners hornady and lyman put out but i really have no need for one and always end up buying something else
    Hornady is coming out with a new ultrasonic cleaner next year. Looks pretty nice!

In Remembrance

Here's my two cents worth:

ALL of the models that you list will wear out the motor spindle bushings in short order. Those motors use a cast bronze bushing for the spindle to rotate in. As those wear, they become oblong (due to the nature of the orbiting vibration of the motor), and eventually the motor armature will clunk up against the coil. It will sit there and buzz, but not spin. You can't buy a replacement motor, and will have to trash the tumbler, and buy it again.

The Dillon, while not part of your plan, has roller bearings for the motor spindle. Those will last many times over what the bronze bushing will last. They (Dillon) also have a wonderful program for replacing the motors. You buy it once! Motor replacements are a lot cheaper than a new tumbler.

Heck, they even did an upgrade for my old model 500 tumbler, which used a bushing for the motor spindle. They put in a motor from a model 750, and installed stronger springs. I now have essentially a model 750 base, with a model 500 bowl. To increase my capacity, I also bought a model 2001 Dillon tumbler. Sometimes, I have both of them running, side by side.

If I were you, I'd go for the Dillon 750, and use your rewards points for some other things that you will need.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 12-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    I would have voted for a Dillon tumbler if it had been an option. We used a row of the big CV-2001 Dillon tumblers, and case separators pretty much non stop to clean range brass for reloading at the gun range where I worked. They were on almost constantly, all day long, and were basically used and abused under hot dusty icky conditions. We never had one of them fail.

If Dillon hasn't changed anything in their tumblers since then, and I really wanted a solid vibratory tumbler, (with money not being an option) that's probably what I would choose.

Still despite that, I currently use a Lyman Turbo Flow 1200 at home, with the auto flow large bowl kit installed with a removable plug. I have used 3 of the Lyman tumblers over the years, and they are all still in service. The first one has required a little bit of tune up and maintenance though, but its still working.

A decent tip is to set your vibratory tumbler on a hard flat surface, not on carpet, and if you run a timer and don't leave it on constantly they last longer.

- Bullwolf

Yes , I also would have cast a vote for Dillons tumblers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    Hornady is coming out with a new ultrasonic cleaner next year. Looks pretty nice!
    Thanks for the info! will have to check it out. Sorry I did not notice your reply until now, i do that too often. Happy new year!
    Jim

Thumbs up Case tumbler Berry's is the best.

I vote for Berry's. I have had one for 15 years and it is still working great. It works so good that I purchased another. I clean brass around the clock and they keep on working. The best 60 bucks I ever spent.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

tumblers

You needed a choice that said none of the above and then a space for a write in choice. My choice would be Thumblers Tumblers. I own both the Vibrate model and the Model B which is used for my BP cases. None of your choices will work as a wet cleaner.
    Your choices all have several complaints about endurance and the RCBS is not the same as the other equipment made by them.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Banned

Im not a big fan of lyman stuff but in my opinion they make the best tumblers. I dont have one right now as i lost two in fire along with a big dillon. I replaced the dillon because i just need a big tumbler. They just dont agitate as good as a lyman though and take longer. For a small one this time i just bought a frankfort arsonal unit. It was cheap and Ive actually had pretty good luck with it and even it agitates better then the dillons ive owned. I wanted one of the bigger lymans but my fire happened back during the time of primer and reloading supply shortages and everyone was out of stock at the time.

Boolit Buddy
    The big Dillon.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Thumblers Tumbler Model B.

Boolit Buddy

tumbler

Am I the only one in the world with a RCBS Sidewinder?

If money is THE primary issue I would recommend buying a used one here. Guys very often sell their old equipment when buying new equipment and nothing is wrong with it. That gives you one 'cheap' one to use now (and who knows for how long) and plenty of time to save up for another more expensive option.

Boolit Master

I have a frankford arsenal ... (Midway) .... tumbler that I got back in the 80z still going strong.

Boolit Master
    i use a used e-bay buy Lyman 600 turbo ,,not very big but im ok with it.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

I have had a Lyman Turbo 1200 for 2 years now and put between 3-4,000 pieces of brass through it so far, and it has been going good. I put mine outside to negate the noise, and to keep dust out. Only real complaint about it is that it doesn't have in-line on/off switch.

Boolit Master

I use my LT 1200 to put a coat of nufinish on the brass I clean in my Thumbler using SS pins.

Boolit Master
    Thumler's Tumbler #B